The Student Room Group

A level spanish

do the teachers in AS spanish teach you the words or do you have to know them??
I'm not a Spanish student, but I just finished my A-level in French, and I assume that they're similar.

In a language, it is often up to the teacher how many words they teach you. Often, teachers will give you lists of specific vocabulary to learn which relate directly to your topic of study, but to achieve top marks (A or B) you will need to learn a lot of vocabulary and verb conjugations in your own time.

Consider that you will have a fifteen minute long oral (I'm pretty sure fifteen minutes at least) and the more unique vocabulary you have, the more impressive you will be to the examiner.

Many of your lessons will probably be spent in debate or discussing in the target language rather than rigidly learning specific vocabulary as you may have done at GCSE. More focus will be put upon learning sentence structure, as vocabulary is easy to teach to yourself.

I strongly recommend the book Palabra Por Palabra for vocabulary. And remember that even if a teacher doesn't teach you a lot of specific vocabulary in lesson, they will usually be more than happy to provide you with vocab lists and resources if you ask.
I did AS French and AS Spanish last year and carried on for A2 this year, because there is very little set vocab at AS compared to GCSE I used AS vocab lists on quizlet.com as well as vocab lists from teachers, I would strongly recommend doing this. I got good grades using this method.

Also My Spanish teachers said making an educated guess at words you don't know can be a good idea. You don't need to know every word to get a good grade in the exam, in my experience a lot of it is just getting the technique right.

Quick Reply

Latest