The Student Room Group

Reasons the Green Party are idiots...

Inspired by another thread, I wanted to point out why you shouldn't vote for the Greens. I read some of their manifesto before the 2010 election and could hardly find a sentence that wasn't factually incorrect, deliberately misleading, contradictory or plain crazy.

The manifesto is here: manifesto

And just on pages 35-36, here are the reasons the Greens have no idea:

Spoiler

All of this is just the stuff that is wrong rather than only crazy (like their desire for a 55mph speed limit on motorways and the fact that every other policy of theirs would destroy the economy).

Plus, despite all their insane spending promises they can’t spare a thought for fusion research the one thing that might save us in the end.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddyman4
Inspired by another thread, I wanted to point out why you shouldn't vote for the Greens. I read some of their manifesto before the 2010 election and could hardly find a sentence that wasn't factually incorrect, deliberately misleading, contradictory or plain crazy.

The manifesto is here: manifesto

And just on pages 35-36, here are the reasons the Greens have no idea:

Spoiler

All of this is just the stuff that is wrong rather than only crazy (like their desire for a 55mph speed limit on motorways and the fact that every other policy of theirs would destroy the economy).

Plus, despite all their insane spending promises they can’t spare a thought for fusion research the one thing that might save us in the end.

Since the Soviet Union collapsed, certain members in society need to join some cause.

Yes, you are right. They have a crazy manifesto and their policies don't jive with the real world.
Reply 2
But what if we do get his by a tsunami? That's the old argument people like to use for keeping our nukes.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Since the Soviet Union collapsed, certain members in society need to join some cause.

Yes, you are right. They have a crazy manifesto and their policies don't jive with the real world.

Please stop bringing tired, black-and-white, strawmen/stereotypes into everything.
Original post by Moosferatu
Please stop bringing tired, black-and-white, strawmen/stereotypes into everything.

There's a lot of people who needed a new cause to follow. That's the only reason why I can think of that there is a political party with such crazy ideas that will destroy the economy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
This is probably true, but I wouldn't say that cause is the Green movement. Greens generally support decentralised democracy, social justice, transparency and civil liberties - all things the Soviet Union did its best to clamp down upon.

As far as I'm aware, the Green Party has its roots in the Ecological Party of the 1970s - well before the Soviet Union collapsed.
Reply 6
#1 in spoiler, wow, they have obviously never been introduced to the term fuel poverty which affects those on low incomes and the elderly. :facepalm2:
Reply 7
It's a shame that good political goals and views always seem to go in hand with stupid ones. Environmental concern with idealist leftist naivety, here. Like the right in the US: emphasis on individual liberty, allied with intellectual poverty. Can't have it all, I guess.
Reply 8
I quite like a few of their policiees, but for a green party they're damn disappointing on the environmental front.
Reply 9
What are the polling, 2%? No need to worry.
Original post by Joeman560
What are the polling, 2%? No need to worry.

Unfortunately it almost seems like the Green party are the think tank for the LibLabCon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They seem to be under the delusion that they will be able to renegotiate powers from Brussels.
Reply 12
It's always the same story when you look at a small party's manifesto. There'll be about 5% realistic, useful policy which they'll use if they get some microcosm of power, and the rest is just badly researched idealism and empty promises. You could do this analysis on any UK political party with 1 parliamentary seat or fewer and get pretty much the same results.

As parties grow their manifestos tend to mature and become more realistic. Right now it makes absolutely no difference what the Greens promise, since there's exactly 0% chance of them ever achieving it, hence why they simply rest their laurels on idealism until they get enough notice to actually make any useful changes.
Reply 13
I'm actually a Green Party member, but I don't agree with their energy policy. It isn't necessary to support every policy in detail to still agree with a party's priorities and ideals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dez
It's always the same story when you look at a small party's manifesto. There'll be about 5% realistic, useful policy which they'll use if they get some microcosm of power, and the rest is just badly researched idealism and empty promises. You could do this analysis on any UK political party with 1 parliamentary seat or fewer and get pretty much the same results.

As parties grow their manifestos tend to mature and become more realistic. Right now it makes absolutely no difference what the Greens promise, since there's exactly 0% chance of them ever achieving it, hence why they simply rest their laurels on idealism until they get enough notice to actually make any useful changes.

UKIP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by otester
Unfortunately it almost seems like the Green party are the think tank for the LibLabCon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shale gas?! :lolwut:
Reply 16
We will support a European ban on genetically modified food.
http://greenparty.org.uk/policies.html

Morons.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Shale gas?! :lolwut:

They take the bits that benefit them and their corporate buddies (carbon taxes etc.).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

UKIP's certainly far from immune from the idealism thing. I recall there was a similar thread to this one about UKIP's manifesto that pointed out quite a few faults. In fairness though, even the big parties are subject to it a little bit. It's just the nature of politics.
Original post by Dez
UKIP's certainly far from immune from the idealism thing. I recall there was a similar thread to this one about UKIP's manifesto that pointed out quite a few faults. In fairness though, even the big parties are subject to it a little bit. It's just the nature of politics.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending