The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by medical nurse
Strange how they won't just consider 11 GCSE qualifications, good news though that they'll look at your application again, what is your degree in? It's all such an emotional rollercoaster isn't it? I was elated when I got my e-mail then sheer panic set in when I realised I've got to prepare for an interview ha ha. I've not had an interview for years let alone lots of them consecutively, should be good fun.

They said its because you.need all the sciences to be considered eligible and.because I didn't have physics I didn't meet the criteria. Just sent them an email with it attached and they messaged me straight back confirming they've got it and it.is.now being.passed to.director of admissions :smile: my degree is in biomedical sciences. Honestly that's exactly what it is ! It's making me miserable lately with all the worry. Congratulations on your interview !!! Practice and you'll do fab :smile: when is it ? Got my fingers crossed for you.
Original post by JabbaWebb
Got offered an Interview today :smile: Anyone else??

Yeah :biggrin: got my interview invite at 2:30 today! Congratulations! Does anyone have any advice for MMI? I've only had traditional interviews so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by graceyel

They said its because you.need all the sciences to be considered eligible and.because I didn't have physics I didn't meet the criteria. Just sent them an email with it attached and they messaged me straight back confirming they've got it and it.is.now being.passed to.director of admissions :smile: my degree is in biomedical sciences. Honestly that's exactly what it is ! It's making me miserable lately with all the worry. Congratulations on your interview !!! Practice and you'll do fab :smile: when is it ? Got my fingers crossed for you.

That's good that they've accepted it as they say they won't accept anything else towards your application after it's been submitted and a decision reached. A biomedical science degree will be very useful then especially with an upper second or first, plus you'll be used to writing at level 6.

I don't think you can practice much to be fair, you don't know what they're going to ask and I personally don't like rehearsed answers. We'll have to keep everything crossed for each other ha ha.

Original post by kangarooblue
Yeah :biggrin: got my interview invite at 2:30 today! Congratulations! Does anyone have any advice for MMI? I've only had traditional interviews so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, don't panic is the best advice and the good thing about MMI format is if you fall down in one section hopefully you'll see other interviewers in the next one. They use MMIs at postgrad (at least that's what one of my doctors told me) so at least you'll know what you're letting yourself in for after qualification.
Original post by JabbaWebb
Got offered an Interview today :smile: Anyone else??

Original post by Missymoo84
Just received an interview invite for the 30th.im gobsmacked!there is a god! I'm a graduate (a very old one) and really was expecting a rejection as they asked for degree documents in November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gratz on your interviews! If you don't mind me asking, what are your guys' stats?
Original post by unknownone
Gratz on your interviews! If you don't mind me asking, what are your guys' stats?

Thanks! GCSE 9A*AB AS AAA and predicted A, EPQ B A2 predictions A*A*A UKCAT 2700 band 2. Are you still waiting to hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received an interview invite for the 30th.im gobsmacked!there is a god! I'm a graduate (a very old one) and really was expecting a rejection as they asked for degree documents in November.

Oh don't be daft, it's great that they embrace a mature student, you obviously have so much to offer!!! So, congratulations on the interview, did you have to send in proof of your degree? Do you mind me asking how old you are? I too am a mature student and I've an interview that same week.

Hi have medical science degree 2.1, gcses 3a*s,4as,2bs, a levels-poor!ukcat not great either but this being my second application, I spent ages doing my personal statement and found the info on the keele website very helpful.
Original post by medical nurse
Oh don't be daft, it's great that they embrace a mature student, you obviously have so much to offer!!! So, congratulations on the interview, did you have to send in proof of your degree? Do you mind me asking how old you are? I too am a mature student and I've an interview that same week.

Congratulations on your interview too.I sent degree transcripts as my a level chemistry is below par...I'll be 30 this year, although I'm in denial!just need to prep for interview like mad-haven't done anything as I really didn't think I had a chance. What's made you consider medicine if you don't mind me asking?
Congratulations on your interview too.I sent degree transcripts as my a level chemistry is below par...I'll be 30 this year, although I'm in denial!just need to prep for interview like mad-haven't done anything as I really didn't think I had a chance. What's made you consider medicine if you don't mind me asking?

Oh my goodness, you're a dinosaur!!! Only joking, you are younger than me (yes really) so that should make you happier and turning 30 is not too bad. :eek: Would you mind if I didn't give you the reason until after my interview just in case someone else takes my reason especially if they are in my situation? What I will say initially is that I'm currently a registered nurse so currently working in a healthcare setting.

Did you have to apply for the six year course then or are they considering you for the five year course? You'll have to let me know how your interview goes. What sort of prep are you planning to do?
Original post by PG593
Definitely go for Liverpool, you should stand a good chance there. You grades seem fine for Keele as long as you are predicted the entry requirements, just focus on your PS. Aberdeen is another good option and possibly Manchester/East Anglia. I would probably leave out Leicester because as I understand you would only get 56/60 which might be slightly risky as the cut-off last year I believe was 56/57. Still though completely up to you mate :smile:

Sorry to pick on you, but you are online and seem to be a bit in the know. I'm in a gap year having been excepted to study vet med next year at Bristol. However now I've decided I want to do medicine. I have 8A* 3A at GCSE, and AAAb in Biology Maths Chemistry Physics at A-level. Obviously work exp and UKCAT need to be considered but just wondering whether these grades are bad/average/good when applying to medicine in general (not just Keele). Don't want to risk a place on a course I would enjoy if I don't stand a chance. What's your/ anyone elses' opinion?
Reply 650
Original post by CallumBarker1994
Sorry to pick on you, but you are online and seem to be a bit in the know. I'm in a gap year having been excepted to study vet med next year at Bristol. However now I've decided I want to do medicine. I have 8A* 3A at GCSE, and AAAb in Biology Maths Chemistry Physics at A-level. Obviously work exp and UKCAT need to be considered but just wondering whether these grades are bad/average/good when applying to medicine in general (not just Keele). Don't want to risk a place on a course I would enjoy if I don't stand a chance. What's your/ anyone elses' opinion?

Hey there, so I assume if you're on a gap year now for vet med but you want to switch to medicine you would be looking to apply for 2015 entry, i.e. to send off your application for medicine this coming september 2014.

If so first things first, great GCSEs and you've got the grades at A level so you're covered there. As you said you cannot really decide until you have done your PS and UKCAT. It all depends on applying to your strengths. If your UKCAT is very strong i.e. 750+ then go for places like Newcastle, Durham, Glasgow, Kings (they are a bit shady because they use number of A*s at GCSE but yours are good so with a strong UKCAT it's a no brainer). If Personal Statement is more your forte, pick places like Keele, BSMS and Sheffield. Make sure though you tailor it for the university for what they will be looking for which is all outlined on their website.

To be honest, go for places where you can secure the interview, with medicine preference of location is rarely a choice for applicants with the immense competition and it's rare you will get four offers but nevertheless preparation for picking choices is the make or break for anyone's application. Perhaps PM later when you've done your UKCAT etc. and I'll definitely give a more detailed feedback on where to apply. I just bloody hope by that point I have an offer so I can share some tips haha otherwise I'll look a bit silly :wink: All the best, gain as much work exp. as you can, best insight whether this really is something you can see yourself doing. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
Hey there, so I assume if you're on a gap year now for vet med but you want to switch to medicine you would be looking to apply for 2015 entry, i.e. to send off your application for medicine this coming september 2014.

If so first things first, great GCSEs and you've got the grades at A level so you're covered there. As you said you cannot really decide until you have done your PS and UKCAT. It all depends on applying to your strengths. If your UKCAT is very strong i.e. 750+ then go for places like Newcastle, Durham, Glasgow, Kings (they are a bit shady because they use number of A*s at GCSE but yours are good so with a strong UKCAT it's a no brainer). If Personal Statement is more your forte, pick places like Keele, BSMS and Sheffield. Make sure though you tailor it for the university for what they will be looking for which is all outlined on their website.

To be honest, go for places where you can secure the interview, with medicine preference of location is rarely a choice for applicants with the immense competition and it's rare you will get four offers but nevertheless preparation for picking choices is the make or break for anyone's application. Perhaps PM later when you've done your UKCAT etc. and I'll definitely give a more detailed feedback on where to apply. I just bloody hope by that point I have an offer so I can share some tips haha otherwise I'll look a bit silly :wink: All the best, gain as much work exp. as you can, best insight whether this really is something you can see yourself doing. :smile:

Thanks for the reply.
I know I meet the requirements at A level for most Uni's, but I can't seem to get info on whether 3A's gained is better or worse than someone who is predicted A's and A*'s. I think with the time I have, I could get a good amount of varied work exp. With so long to practice, (having no exams or worries!) I'd hope to get an average UKCAT score at worse. I also like to think I can write a good P.S, (pretty sure it was my saving grace when applying to vet med.)
I know it's just your opinion, but with all this taken into account how do you think I would compare to other candidates? I know it's so hard to say but I need other peoples' advice because I don't want to leave vet med unless I have a good shot :/
Reply 652
Thanks for the reply.
I know I meet the requirements at A level for most Uni's, but I can't seem to get info on whether 3A's gained is better or worse than someone who is predicted A's and A*'s. I think with the time I have, I could get a good amount of varied work exp. With so long to practice, (having no exams or worries!) I'd hope to get an average UKCAT score at worse. I also like to think I can write a good P.S, (pretty sure it was my saving grace when applying to vet med.)
I know it's just your opinion, but with all this taken into account how do you think I would compare to other candidates? I know it's so hard to say but I need other peoples' advice because I don't want to leave vet med unless I have a good shot :/

It honestly depends on where you apply. Some medical schools like Glasgow just care that you meet the minimum requirements of 3As first sitting. Even though some people are predicted 3A* or 3As, academics only make you eligible to apply, the interview is decided on UKCAT only. Conversely at places like St. Andrews, academics is worth 50% of your total score to an offer so obviously the more A*s at A level, the more competitive your application is. Being a re-applicant myself, the average A levels here are around A*AA but this is TSR, nerd capital, so don't just rely on here. Your stats are good for medicine and having the grades for some universities is preferable as you are less of a gamble. For instance at Aberdeen having achieved grades gives you a bonus over predicted grades when applying so read the small print on each medical school's website carefully. Every medical school has such a unique admission process it can be quite hard to select 4 equally strong ones to your application but I would say you stand a good a chance as any other gap year applicant, more so with a good PS and UKCAT, it just depends where you apply :smile:
Thanks for the reply.

A lot of the universities will go on UKCAT score, they offer interviews based on it being above a fixed figure. Even if your personal statement is amazing they have this as a criteria and if you don't meet it they may not invite you for interview. What I would do is really decide on whether you want to be a doctor or a vet, where does your passion lie? If it is the former then you will need experience in this area.

Why not start the vet course and see if you enjoy it? If not, then apply for medicine (if you have a genuine passion for it) for 2015. Each year the calibre of applicants changes so it is impossible to say how you would do against someone predicted A* at A level especially if the Uni considers personal statements in addition to academic results. Plus, the applicants may just be completely academically minded and not have the other aspects that are vital for a career in medicine. Having said that I know a doctor who has aspergers, he finds it difficult to have conversations with people, can often say things without thinking about its appropriateness, has OCD tendancies which make him do things that someone may think is strange... but he is a blooming amazing doctor.
Original post by PG593
It honestly depends on where you apply. Some medical schools like Glasgow just care that you meet the minimum requirements of 3As first sitting. Even though some people are predicted 3A* or 3As, academics only make you eligible to apply, the interview is decided on UKCAT only. Conversely at places like St. Andrews, academics is worth 50% of your total score to an offer so obviously the more A*s at A level, the more competitive your application is. Being a re-applicant myself, the average A levels here are around A*AA but this is TSR, nerd capital, so don't just rely on here. Your stats are good for medicine and having the grades for some universities is preferable as you are less of a gamble. For instance at Aberdeen having achieved grades gives you a bonus over predicted grades when applying so read the small print on each medical school's website carefully. Every medical school has such a unique admission process it can be quite hard to select 4 equally strong ones to your application but I would say you stand a good a chance as any other gap year applicant, more so with a good PS and UKCAT, it just depends where you apply :smile:
Thanks for all your help :smile: anyone else please feel free to offer your opinion!
Thanks! GCSE 9A*AB AS AAA and predicted A, EPQ B A2 predictions A*A*A UKCAT 2700 band 2. Are you still waiting to hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Yep still waiting :<
Thanks for your reply :smile:

Yep still waiting :<

You're welcome :smile: best of luck, there are loads of interviews left to give out so don't panic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know when keele start giving out offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mubashir9995
Does anyone know when keele start giving out offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was told end jan/early feb for the first batch of offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 659
Are they interviewing only UK applicants, or did they start interviewing EU ones?

Plus, good luck you all who got an interview ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending