The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Missymoo84
This thread is so quiet at the moment-where has everyone gone?! I'm on hold too and looked through previous years threads a few weeks back to find anything on receiving an offer after being on hold. This took a while! For 2011 and 2012 entry (I think it was these years), as far as I could tell around half were made offers and half were rejected. Obviously, this will vary depending on how well march interviewees have done, but at least its an indication that theres still hope.

The last interviews are next week, so i'm hoping we'll be put out of our misery next week. Come on Keele!

last interviews are 18th BUT if they don't get enough good candidates they'll continue to interview before changing the threshold apparently. They'll change the threshold because anyone who hasn't received an offer hasn't met the threshold for an offer so they are put on hold. So basically the people who are being interviewed Feb/March probably weren't their first choice for interview but they may well get an offer based on their interview rather than their application. They will make all offers by 31st March I believe.

Original post by adpeto
Well, put on hold- I got an email today. Sorry if I confused you

ha ha ha you had everyone disheartened I bet with your original comment.
Last interviews are 18th BUT if they don't get enough good candidates they'll continue to interview before changing the threshold apparently. They'll change the threshold because anyone who hasn't received an offer hasn't met the threshold for an offer so they are put on hold. So basically the people who are being interviewed Feb/March probably weren't their first choice for interview but they may well get an offer based on their interview rather than their application. They will make all offers by 31st March I believe

How do you know this? Does that mean people who are put on hold are unlikely to get an offer? :frown:
Original post by medical nurse
last interviews are 18th BUT if they don't get enough good candidates they'll continue to interview before changing the threshold apparently. They'll change the threshold because anyone who hasn't received an offer hasn't met the threshold for an offer so they are put on hold. So basically the people who are being interviewed Feb/March probably weren't their first choice for interview but they may well get an offer based on their interview rather than their application. They will make all offers by 31st March I believe.

ha ha ha you had everyone disheartened I bet with your original comment.

How do you know this? Does that mean people who are put on hold are unlikely to get an offer?

Not sure I agree with this. They aim to interview around 500 applicants and being called to interview either in dec or march is no indication on the chance of being made an offer. They have said that on their website I think. Interviews are spaced out as it takes time to assess all incoming applications and arrange interview days. So someone interviewing next week has an equal chance of being made an offer as someone interviewed in december. It all depends on the threshold- may be a minimum is set for each station and a minimum overall score is required to be made an offer. I do think that some of us on hold will have made the threshold for an offer but because we are so close to the minimum score, they have put us on hold incase other better performing candidates are interviewed in march. Just my theory anyway... need to know outcome so I can stop over analysing it all! :smile:
any reaplicants to keele here? :biggrin:
Reply 1385
Original post by Mohid Khan
any reaplicants to keele here? :biggrin:

*waves* meee
[QUOTE="Missymoo84;46720264"]

Not sure I agree with this. They aim to interview around 500 applicants and being called to interview either in dec or march is no indication on the chance of being made an offer. They have said that on their website I think. Interviews are spaced out as it takes time to assess all incoming applications and arrange interview days. So someone interviewing next week has an equal chance of being made an offer as someone interviewed in december. It all depends on the threshold- may be a minimum is set for each station and a minimum overall score is required to be made an offer. I do think that some of us on hold will have made the threshold for an offer but because we are so close to the minimum score, they have put us on hold incase other better performing candidates are interviewed in march. Just my theory anyway... need to know outcome so I can stop over analysing it all! :smile:

It's what Keele said so I don't mind you shooting the messager! Honestly. :-)

I didn't say people interviewed this or next week didn't have a chance, I said that whilst they weren't first in line to get an interview they are now being interviewed because not enough people met the threshold but they have to also give others a fair chance of being offered a place. I personally think that those who exceeded the threshold have been given an offer and those just shy of it have been put on hold whilst they interview others. I suppose in that instance if someone being interviewed this month gets an exceptionally high score they will be offered a place above and beyond those with a score just shy of the threshold. They also confirmed that the 18th is not guaranteed to be the last interview date as they may have to interview more people. This to me says that they probably haven't got enough to offer places to. Also, have in mind that they offer above and beyond the amount of places they have as they know people won't get grades plus they may not actually accept the place. All anyone can do now is wait...as patiently as possible. The good news is they need to put offers out before 31st March so the end is in sight.

Original post by Heyyou123
How do you know this? Does that mean people who are put on hold are unlikely to get an offer?

See above ;-) it may mean that they have hit the threshold or been just shy of it and have not been discounted but they are seeing if other people get a higher mark at interview. I think possibly if anyone has done really badly they may already have a rejection but who knows? Has anyone on here been rejected post interview? All anyone can go by is what Keele say.
Original post by ABAA06
*waves* meee

Have u heard anything yet. What did Keele say last year did you get an interview from them last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="nurse;46723309" medical="medical"]

It's what Keele said so I don't mind you shooting the messager! Honestly. :-)

I didn't say people interviewed this or next week didn't have a chance, I said that whilst they weren't first in line to get an interview they are now being interviewed because not enough people met the threshold but they have to also give others a fair chance of being offered a place. I personally think that those who exceeded the threshold have been given an offer and those just shy of it have been put on hold whilst they interview others. I suppose in that instance if someone being interviewed this month gets an exceptionally high score they will be offered a place above and beyond those with a score just shy of the threshold. They also confirmed that the 18th is not guaranteed to be the last interview date as they may have to interview more people. This to me says that they probably haven't got enough to offer places to. Also, have in mind that they offer above and beyond the amount of places they have as they know people won't get grades plus they may not actually accept the place. All anyone can do now is wait...as patiently as possible. The good news is they need to put offers out before 31st March so the end is in sight.

See above ;-) it may mean that they have hit the threshold or been just shy of it and have not been discounted but they are seeing if other people get a higher mark at interview. I think possibly if anyone has done really badly they may already have a rejection but who knows? Has anyone on here been rejected post interview? All anyone can go by is what Keele say.

Sorry, I'm not trying to shoot the messenger! Its just that keele has always interviewed in feb/march time and unless keele have told you otherwise, I don't believe that you saying they weren't first in line for interview is true. I think your right that keele will add further interview dates if not enough candidates score well enough, but I think that those interviewed next week were always in line for an interview. Thats all I was trying to get across :smile: Also some people have been rejected already and there seems plenty of people on hold this year, so it looks like they are still waiting to determine the threshold til after interviews next week. I looked through previous years forums for those on hold and around half were made offers, so theres still hope! :smile: good luck
[QUOTE="Missymoo84;46724987"]

Sorry, I'm not trying to shoot the messenger! Its just that keele has always interviewed in feb/march time and unless keele have told you otherwise, I don't believe that you saying they weren't first in line for interview is true. I think your right that keele will add further interview dates if not enough candidates score well enough, but I think that those interviewed next week were always in line for an interview. Thats all I was trying to get across :smile: Also some people have been rejected already and there seems plenty of people on hold this year, so it looks like they are still waiting to determine the threshold til after interviews next week. I looked through previous years forums for those on hold and around half were made offers, so theres still hope! :smile: good luck

Oh I know, it was just a phrase :colondollar:

In January the admissions team said that they were interviewing 20 people for 10 places and that decisions would be made by the end of February after all the information had been collated from the interviews. They have since decided to interview more people for the reason that I said earlier. So, in January they were not planning to interview as many people as they have so that's the truth I'm afraid. It may not be what people want to hear BUT the good thing is that anyone being interviewed now is in with a chance of being offered a place.

The threshold was set very high for this year and offers have been given out but not all of them, hence they're still interviewing. So the only thing they're waiting to clarify at the moment is the next threshold for those who have been interviewed but not received offers. I'm not sure whether anyone has had a rejection post interview, the only ones I can remember seeing here were rejected pre-interview. That said, just because I haven't seen it on here doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not looked at all the threads/comments. All of what I have said has come from Keele though, as I wouldn't say it otherwise. Are you talking about their 5 or 6 year course? As I'm talking about the latter.

One candidate said she had been told that only 6 places were offered for the 6 year course last year but that is hearsay so I don't know whether that's true or not.

Anyway, only 19 days then everyone will find out...hopefully :smile:
Reply 1390
:frown: keele <\3
[QUOTE="nurse;46726530" medical="medical"]

Oh I know, it was just a phrase :colondollar:

In January the admissions team said that they were interviewing 20 people for 10 places and that decisions would be made by the end of February after all the information had been collated from the interviews. They have since decided to interview more people for the reason that I said earlier. So, in January they were not planning to interview as many people as they have so that's the truth I'm afraid. It may not be what people want to hear BUT the good thing is that anyone being interviewed now is in with a chance of being offered a place.

The threshold was set very high for this year and offers have been given out but not all of them, hence they're still interviewing. So the only thing they're waiting to clarify at the moment is the next threshold for those who have been interviewed but not received offers. I'm not sure whether anyone has had a rejection post interview, the only ones I can remember seeing here were rejected pre-interview. That said, just because I haven't seen it on here doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not looked at all the threads/comments. All of what I have said has come from Keele though, as I wouldn't say it otherwise. Are you talking about their 5 or 6 year course? As I'm talking about the latter.

One candidate said she had been told that only 6 places were offered for the 6 year course last year but that is hearsay so I don't know whether that's true or not.

Anyway, only 19 days then everyone will find out...hopefully :smile:

Im applying to the 5 year... Think that's why we have different info regarding admissions :smile: yeah rejections have come post interview too
I think I've seen a few post rejections on this trend earlier the month.. And people have been saying how 33.3333% were rejected after interviews ( this was like the start of march I think) .. I really want Keele :frown: I've been put on hold too :/
Reply 1393
Just to clarify, the 33.333% was a prediction that i made, and was not actually given to me by admissions. However, this would a logical approach and from the number given offers, rejections, and on hold, this seems approximately correct. This would also make sense if around 50% of those on hold last year were given offers.

Im applying to the 5 year... Think that's why we have different info regarding admissions :smile: yeah rejections have come post interview too

ha ha ha thought so. :-)

Original post by Heyyou123
I think I've seen a few post rejections on this trend earlier the month.. And people have been saying how 33.3333% were rejected after interviews ( this was like the start of march I think) .. I really want Keele :frown: I've been put on hold too :/

One other thing to consider is not every applicant may be posting to this thread so we can't really rely on previous posts about percentage of people who received an offer by a set time or how many were put on hold. I wouldn't worry too much about numbers, just try to stay calm and wait for a decision...although I know that is easier said than done. It must be hard thinking about it constantly and the more you think about it the worse it must become.
Original post by Medstudentiwish
Congratulations everyone really. I'm just wondering if we have to answer maths questions at interview (I'm going to revise basics just incase) I'm applying to the 6 year. well done everyone on your offers and for you guys still waiting best of luck! I'm just grateful to get an interview :smile:

Keele are happy to tell everyone that if there is a station on maths it is GCSE maths only. Obviously no-one will tell you what's included as it will put you at an advantage.
Well done on getting an interview medsstudentiwish, hope it goes well for you :smile: I was offered a place on the 6 year course last week, I am a graduate (nursing).
Hi clean freak (love the name by way), thank you so much. I really did not expect it all and it was like a wave of happiness I've never experienced before so I can't imagine how you must be feeling to receive an offer, so a huge congratulations to you! You are going to be a doctor! Wow! I hope are paths cross this year but if not, best of luck to you and your career. Keele is so beautiful. :smile: I'm a grad too and A levels etc..... Think similar to everyone else. Think nurses are amazing by way! Good luck everyone :smile:
Hi clean freak (love the name by way), thank you so much. I really did not expect it all and it was like a wave of happiness I've never experienced before so I can't imagine how you must be feeling to receive an offer, so a huge congratulations to you! You are going to be a doctor! Wow! I hope are paths cross this year but if not, best of luck to you and your career. Keele is so beautiful. :smile: I'm a grad too and A levels etc..... Think similar to everyone else. Think nurses are amazing by way! Good luck everyone :smile:

Hi, thanks I am very happy and relieved, totally unexpected really. Try not to stress about your interview ( when is it by the way) be yourself and knock em dead! They clearly think your good enough- they invited you to interview. Lots of luck:biggrin:
Reply 1399
Dear Medical Nurse,

I'm afraid I find your post a little insulting. I only asked if maths was covered and see no problem with this. There is no need to watch every post so closely and get so competitive, I don't think it holds the right attitude if I'm honest. I would prefer to innocently encourage other students rather than be competitive and I guess we are very different in this respect. And you shouldn't be putting words in other students mouths about the way they respond to my post purely to satisfy your personal goals, I think that's ethically wrong. I can see in your posts you are not exactly shedding any positive light on students getting a place and it isn't very nice. Inferring that best applicants get seen first and that there are only 6 places, this adds unnecessary pressure. I only asked if maths was covered or not, yes or no, there is no need to put me in a negative light and place me in your boxing ring. Clearly everyone has a great opportunity and if I can help anyone at all, I'm here with a smile.

Just to try and clarify this - asking whether there is a maths question is asking for information about the interview beyond that which is given to you by Keele. Therefore, it would be inappropriate, unfair, and against both the student rooms rules and Keele's wishes to tell you. Additionally this would unfairly place you at advantage over those currently waiting to hear back, who did not have such information before their interview. Please do not ask any questions about the interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending