The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedicalMaureen
Yaaaay! I got an offer a few minutes ago and to think i was going to withdraw :d

Had you already been rejected or were you still waiting? And well done by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1521
Original post by JabbaWebb
Really? **** man, bit of a trek :/ But it was a pretty good day all round so it was kinda worth it :smile:

Yeah was definitely worth it!
Still so split on whether to defer or not :/
Firmed!
Original post by robrob9595
Had you already been rejected or were you still waiting? And well done by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was still waiting :smile: thank you so much :smile:
Original post by lwestern
Yeah was definitely worth it!
Still so split on whether to defer or not :/

Yeah man it was :smile: What's your gut telling you to do?? What would you do if you deferred? :smile:
Reply 1525
Yeah man it was :smile: What's your gut telling you to do?? What would you do if you deferred? :smile:

Honestly I really dont know! I have reasons for either way!! I would work to get money and obviously go travelling somewhere doing one of those gap medic cources :smile:
But I think deep down I am very very eager to get going with this whole being a doctor thing :tongue: so may be there in September :wink:
Original post by lwestern
Honestly I really dont know! I have reasons for either way!! I would work to get money and obviously go travelling somewhere doing one of those gap medic cources :smile:
But I think deep down I am very very eager to get going with this whole being a doctor thing :tongue: so may be there in September :wink:

Aye but I wouldn't spend loads of money on those Gap Medic things :tongue: they're like really expensive :/ You could just contact a hospital out there or a smaller group and go yourself? :smile: Or maybe work as a healthcare assistant in NHS hospitals? I know around here you can get between £8 - £12 an hour for semi-clinical/care work (also time and a 1/3 on Nights and time and 2/3's on Sundays :biggrin: ) :smile: it's good experience

But yeah, come in September! Doctoring can't wait! :wink: PBL 2 will miss yah :wink: haha
Reply 1527
Aye but I wouldn't spend loads of money on those Gap Medic things :tongue: they're like really expensive :/ You could just contact a hospital out there or a smaller group and go yourself? :smile: Or maybe work as a healthcare assistant in NHS hospitals? I know around here you can get between £8 - £12 an hour for semi-clinical/care work (also time and a 1/3 on Nights and time and 2/3's on Sundays :biggrin: ) :smile: it's good experience

But yeah, come in September! Doctoring can't wait! :wink: PBL 2 will miss yah :wink: haha

True true!! Been thinking though and I think that I do want to go this year!! :biggrin: Will get bored and I want to get on with the dream I've been chasing for years!!!
Doing finance this weekend and will hopefully see you all in September :P
Original post by Blob30
Hey guys, congratulations to those with offers, and I'm sorry for those without, last year I had 4 pre-interview rejections so I understand how you guys feel!

Anyway I just wanted to post for advice, I have offers at both keele and liverpool but I am sooooooo confused as to where to firm?!

Any advice?

Congratulations!! Well depending upon what your priorities are:

Keele: Fairly new medical school, gorgeous location, approachable and supportive tutors, students seem very happy there. They're not yet offering their course based on GMC's Tomorrow's Doctors which they hope to do in a few years.

Liverpool: Long standing red brick uni, fantastic location and night life, despite being red brick tutors are more approachable but can sometimes have the attitude of a typical medical school (I know someone in year 5 and I'm from Liverpool). Great busy hosptials to do placements and I would pick a neuro placement as one of your options.

For me, it would be Liverpool all the way.

Original post by Rubysmith
Not to burst anyone`s bubble but is anyone else anxious for the course at Keele.
1. PBL- I`m scared that I wont have the full core knowledge in my first two years like most med schools because I have to do the researching myself. What if I miss out something important I was suppose to know? I know there are lectures but do they cover everything you need to know for that week or only part of it?

2. Its a new med school- past papers? what if I want to do my foundation years in a
Australia, do they recognise the degree in Keele?

3. One of the med students I met said they don`t have a syllabus (or learning points), so how am I suppose to know that I have learnt everything I was meant to for that year?

It just seems like here`s a room, a book, some laptops...get on with it:confused:

Im just saying. it will be nice if PBL was only maybe 2hrs a week; then lectures that cover everything you need to know, so if you missed a learning point in your PBL class you can rely on your lecture notes to get you through the exam regardless of your PBL class; maybe a few lab sessions for a practical aspect and then a freakin syllabus (or learning points) at the end so that you know you have learnt everything you need to for that week/month.

I'm sure they'd accept it as two of my friends emigrated to Australia with UK degrees, one from Uni of Manchester which Keele was once part of :smile:

So...I have decided to give medicine a miss...after sitting down with the realisation of having to pay £54,000 for a 6 year course, having to go from being my own boss to being employed and having to work 365 days a week, not seeing my kids or having any random day off that I wanted...I'm choosing to accept my DProf, level 8 course instead.

I had the interview for this in February and after putting in my application direct to the University, this would be the best option for me. I have 5 kids, two businesses and am 42...I had to question whether I actually did want to be an F1 at the age of 48...no, is the honest answer! This course will only cost me around £12,000 depending upon how many years it takes me to complete it, plus I get to do research in my current area of practice. Plus, what they once only allowed doctors to do in my area, they now let nurses train in. So I wish everyone the very best in their course and hope you enjoy every minute of training and working as a doctor. It's been lovely to read everyone's comments and to have met everyone at interview though and I'm really sorry for wasting everyone's time in this whole process.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1529
Original post by medical nurse

Keele: Fairly new medical school, gorgeous location, approachable and supportive tutors, students seem very happy there. They're not yet offering their course based on GMC's Tomorrow's Doctors which they hope to do in a few years.

Liverpool: Long standing red brick uni, fantastic location and night life, despite being red brick tutors are more approachable but can sometimes have the attitude of a typical medical school (I know someone in year 5 and I'm from Liverpool). Great busy hosptials to do placements and I would pick a neuro placement as one of your options.

I'm sure they'd accept it as two of my friends emigrated to Australia with UK degrees, one from Uni of Manchester which Keele was once part of :smile:

So...I have decided to give medicine a miss...after sitting down with the realisation of having to pay £54,000 for a 6 year course, having to go from being my own boss to being employed and having to work 365 days a week, not seeing my kids or having any random day off that I wanted...I'm choosing to accept my DProf, level 8 course instead.

I had the interview for this in February and after putting in my application direct to the University, this would be the best option for me. I have 5 kids, two businesses and am 42...I had to question whether I actually did want to be an F1 at the age of 48...no, is the honest answer! This course will only cost me around £12,000 depending upon how many years it takes me to complete it, plus I get to do research in my current area of practice. Plus, what they once only allowed doctors to do in my area, they now let nurses train in. So I wish everyone the very best in their course and hope you enjoy every minute of training and working as a doctor. It's been lovely to read everyone's comments and to have met everyone at interview though and I'm really sorry for wasting everyone's time in this whole process.

Good luck for your course! What is your area of interest by the way? I find neurology really interesting after my first degree and would love to learn more. I noticed you mentioned choosing a neurology placement at Liverpool.
Original post by L.A.R
Good luck for your course! What is your area of interest by the way? I find neurology really interesting after my first degree and would love to learn more. I noticed you mentioned choosing a neurology placement at Liverpool.

Thank you! I'm in aesthetics so I do anti ageing treatments...Botox, liquid face lifts etc. I've done it for 10 years and absolutely love it. The doctorate will allow me to do research in Botox too. I mentioned neurology as they have a fantastic centre in Liverpool, it's an amazing place to get experience in for a medical degree so if you can get the option to go there, snap it up :smile:

Hello there is a few points that confused me in this post, so I am not having a go I just want to get a few things clear. Are you at Keele university medical nurse? Saying "They're not yet offering their course based on GMC's Tomorrow's Doctors which they hope to do in a few years". What do you mean by that? Are you firming Liverpool or something?
Original post by The Angry Stoic
That's not how it is at all.

Actually your last paragraph about how you'd prefer it to be is pretty much exactly what it is.

Original post by Rubysmith
Not to burst anyone`s bubble but is anyone else anxious for the course at Keele.
1. PBL- I`m scared that I wont have the full core knowledge in my first two years like most med schools because I have to do the researching myself. What if I miss out something important I was suppose to know? I know there are lectures but do they cover everything you need to know for that week or only part of it?

2. Its a new med school- past papers? what if I want to do my foundation years in a
Australia, do they recognise the degree in Keele?

3. One of the med students I met said they don`t have a syllabus (or learning points), so how am I suppose to know that I have learnt everything I was meant to for that year?

It just seems like here`s a room, a book, some laptops...get on with it:confused:

Im just saying. it will be nice if PBL was only maybe 2hrs a week; then lectures that cover everything you need to know, so if you missed a learning point in your PBL class you can rely on your lecture notes to get you through the exam regardless of your PBL class; maybe a few lab sessions for a practical aspect and then a freakin syllabus (or learning points) at the end so that you know you have learnt everything you need to for that week/month.

You sound really concerned about the syllabus Ruby, I am just trying to understand yours and the other users of the forums concerns.
Original post by doctorteeth
Hello there is a few points that confused me in this post, so I am not having a go I just want to get a few things clear. Are you at Keele university medical nurse? Saying "They're not yet offering their course based on GMC's Tomorrow's Doctors which they hope to do in a few years". What do you mean by that? Are you firming Liverpool or something?

Fab name...are you a dentist/dentist in waiting? I went to Keele's open day and the admissions tutor said that they are not yet offering their course in line with this document, they said "we hope to do this in a few years" or words to that effect. As I said in my earlier post, which you may have missed as it was on the previous page, I'm doing a doctorate instead. Basically, it'll be save me around £40,000 and it's designed to be flexible work based learning for advanced practitioners. I used all my UCAS choices for medicine this year but you apply direct to the University for the doctorate. This will fit in better with my work and personal commitments, realistically. Are you thinking of applying to Keele? It's a lovely university, I studied nursing at University of Plymouth in 1998 and did my degree elsewhere so can only comment on Keele as to what I've seen myself and heard from the staff and students. :smile:
Fab name...are you a dentist/dentist in waiting? I went to Keele's open day and the admissions tutor said that they are not yet offering their course in line with this document, they said "we hope to do this in a few years" or words to that effect. As I said in my earlier post, which you may have missed as it was on the previous page, I'm doing a doctorate instead. Basically, it'll be save me around £40,000 and it's designed to be flexible work based learning for advanced practitioners. I used all my UCAS choices for medicine this year but you apply direct to the University for the doctorate. This will fit in better with my work and personal commitments, realistically. Are you thinking of applying to Keele? It's a lovely university, I studied nursing at University of Plymouth in 1998 and did my degree elsewhere so can only comment on Keele as to what I've seen myself and heard from the staff and students. :smile:

ha ha I have no idea why I chose that name. I am not going to be a dentist though lol. Sorry I did not read all the posts, my bad. It wasn't a dig I was having. I was just going to post if anyone did not anything about the course that's all.

I hope all is going well with you
I'm a first year medical student at Keele Medical Nurse, sorry it is rally late and I am not with it lol
Original post by eliza.louise.mc
I've firmed QUB and insured Keele :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh great! I had Unconditional for both because I have my A Level results but I chose QUB!
Does anyone know how much Keele use Mid Staffordshire hospital? I'm trying to decide between Keele and BSMS and that is the only thing putting me off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1538
Original post by sophieH1303
Does anyone know how much Keele use Mid Staffordshire hospital? I'm trying to decide between Keele and BSMS and that is the only thing putting me off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From 3 year onwards there are lots of placements in various hospitals around. There is the clinical skills building right nexts to mid staffs but it's not really part of the hospital.
The fate of the hospital is unknown at the moment. I wouldn't let bad stories about the hospital put you off such an amazing uni though! In reality, lots of hospitals had similar problems, mid staffs was just unlucky and singled out to make an example to others!! I wouldn't let media stories put you off :smile:
Most of your time is at UHNS in third year, in 4th and 5th year you have to do a year at Shrewsbury. You do have placements all over the place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending