The Student Room Group

QUB Medicine 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haylodge
Hey just to say that I am also a scottish applicant for QUB.
Where else have you applied? I have also applied to Sheffield, Hull and York and Aberdeen. Well done you.... 4 advanced highers.....that is alot of work. Your scores look good.....i only get 5 points on my UKCAT. I am only doing 3 adv Highers....History, Bio and Chem

Where in Scotland are you? I'm a Glasgow girl myself. And with 3 As 2 Bs I need to push the boat out this year (I sat my highers a coupla years ago with a distinct lack of direction in life, and spent a lot of my time pretending not to care.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by eliza.louise.mc
Where in Scotland are you? I'm a Glasgow girl myself. And with 3 As 2 Bs I need to push the boat out this year (I sat my highers a coupla years ago with a distinct lack of direction in life, and spent a lot of my time pretending not to care.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm from the Scottish borders. Scary how difficult it is to get into medicine. Have you applied to any of the Scottish uni's. Why did you choose QUB? I have 4A's and 1B.....shame about the B, but can't be helped. I got 2880 on UKCAT which puts me in score 5. I reckon they may put up their cut off this year so unsure if I will have enough. :smile:
Hey I'm from the Scottish borders. Scary how difficult it is to get into medicine. Have you applied to any of the Scottish uni's. Why did you choose QUB? I have 4A's and 1B.....shame about the B, but can't be helped. I got 2880 on UKCAT which puts me in score 5. I reckon they may put up their cut off this year so unsure if I will have enough. :smile:

You have one more point than me amigo, hopefully we will both get through to interviews. You're two points above the cut off last year so I wouldn't stress. And 4 As and a B is awesome, well done. I've only applied to QUB, UEA, Keele and Manchester. Didn't fancy the odds of applying to Dundee and don't have the entry. Requirements for the others. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
You have one more point than me amigo, hopefully we will both get through to interviews. You're two points above the cut off last year so I wouldn't stress. And 4 As and a B is awesome, well done. I've only applied to QUB, UEA, Keele and Manchester. Didn't fancy the odds of applying to Dundee and don't have the entry. Requirements for the others. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have applied to Queens, Sheffield, Hull and York and Aberdeen. I thought I would try for one of the Scottish and Aberdeen seemed to be the most likely (probably not though). I'd be delighted to get to interview...that would be awesome. I had really thought about Keele and now kinda wished I had stuck with it instead of Hull and York. Seems to be loads of people with over 2800 which was the UKCAT cut off for Hull and York. So now unsure if I will get an interview with them despite being over their cut-off point. Anyhow I wish you well with your applications. What would be your fav choice?
I have applied to Queens, Sheffield, Hull and York and Aberdeen. I thought I would try for one of the Scottish and Aberdeen seemed to be the most likely (probably not though). I'd be delighted to get to interview...that would be awesome. I had really thought about Keele and now kinda wished I had stuck with it instead of Hull and York. Seems to be loads of people with over 2800 which was the UKCAT cut off for Hull and York. So now unsure if I will get an interview with them despite being over their cut-off point. Anyhow I wish you well with your applications. What would be your fav choice?

Probably queens- mainly because I love Belfast as a city. If ANYWHERE considers me though, I will be relieved. What about you? I know how you feel, the more I look at Nottingham the more I reckon I should've applied. It's a bit gutting to be honest. Though I think with your ukcat and highers you've got a grand chance with Aberdeen (I've got faith).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Probably queens- mainly because I love Belfast as a city. If ANYWHERE considers me though, I will be relieved. What about you? I know how you feel, the more I look at Nottingham the more I reckon I should've applied. It's a bit gutting to be honest. Though I think with your ukcat and highers you've got a grand chance with Aberdeen (I've got faith).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes same here......i would be over the moon with any offer. No real preference, probably Aberdeen and Queens would be my fav's. You have a really good UKCAT score an also 4 ADV highers will set up well for you. Why did you not consider any of the scottish....I know edin and St Andrews are impossible, glasgow have been totally open AND TRANSPARENT UNLIKE THE OTHERS. Dundee I know less about except when I went on open day they said they were really looking for 5 A's and they said they are happy not to fill all their places they are specifically looking for a type of candidate. Our school have had no success with Dundee for about 4-5 years.
Yes same here......i would be over the moon with any offer. No real preference, probably Aberdeen and Queens would be my fav's. You have a really good UKCAT score an also 4 ADV highers will set up well for you. Why did you not consider any of the scottish....I know edin and St Andrews are impossible, glasgow have been totally open AND TRANSPARENT UNLIKE THE OTHERS. Dundee I know less about except when I went on open day they said they were really looking for 5 A's and they said they are happy not to fill all their places they are specifically looking for a type of candidate. Our school have had no success with Dundee for about 4-5 years.

Oh god. At least they were honest. Fingers crossed for both of us. Keep me in the know with how you do and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Oh god. At least they were honest. Fingers crossed for both of us. Keep me in the know with how you do and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

will do and good luck:smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Doc2be
Hey, 2970 will get you the full 6 marks for the ukcat. Well done, your on 42/42 then, same as myself. Should def be getting interviews for QUB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! Now it's just a matter of getting through the interview :smile:

Are you guys A level students or graduates?
Reply 69
Original post by Don Jesu

Haha yeah that's going to be the hard bit!! Dreading the MMI set up.

I'm a graduate, background in psychology and neuroscience. What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70

I'm actually an Irish Leaving Certificate student. The medical school is so nice and the whole atmosphere around Queen's and Belfast is just amazing. :biggrin:
Reply 71

Lucky you guys. Well done on the great UKCAT scores. I am also applying but sadly my score of 2880 isn't quite as good. Hoping...fingers crossed that I might make interview
Anyone else just receive a confirmation email? Glad it goes into so much detail with interview dates, takes out a lot of second guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else just receive a confirmation email? Glad it goes into so much detail with interview dates, takes out a lot of second guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, just a few minutes ago :P
Reply 74

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup, just got mine now too :smile:
Reply 75
me too. Yah!!
Reply 76
Lucky you guys. Well done on the great UKCAT scores. I am also applying but sadly my score of 2880 isn't quite as good. Hoping...fingers crossed that I might make interview

I'm sure you'll still get an interview haylodge, your score is only like a point or something below ours. It's just the interview that's scaring me haha, how can you build a rapport with any of the interviewers within the MMI time limit? :s
Reply 77
Original post by Doc2be
Haha yeah that's going to be the hard bit!! Dreading the MMI set up.

I'm a graduate, background in psychology and neuroscience. What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh a fellow graduate! :biggrin:

I just completed my degree in Biomedical Science from St George's, it will be so refreshing to try a different uni and area

where else have you applied to Doc2be? (awesome display name by the way :tongue: )
Reply 78
I'm sure you'll still get an interview haylodge, your score is only like a point or something below ours. It's just the interview that's scaring me haha, how can you build a rapport with any of the interviewers within the MMI time limit? :s

Yes not sure about the MMI's, although it seems to be the preferred option with most of the uni's. A friend who interviewed from medicine last year really liked them and said if you do badly in one station you can make up for in another. But you are right not a long time for someone to form a real impression. I guess people who are confident and good at thinking on their fee will prefrom real well
Reply 79
Ahh a fellow graduate! :biggrin:

I just completed my degree in Biomedical Science from St George's, it will be so refreshing to try a different uni bus" and area

where else have you applied to Doc2be? (awesome display name by the way :tongue: )

Haha thanks :smile: What made you apply for Queens? I've applied to southampton, kings and Warwick as well. Where all have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending