The Student Room Group

Rejected from all of my choices for medicine.

Hello, I have been rejected from all 4 of my medicine options today.
I applied to Oxford, Leeds, Cardiff and QUB all for medicine - I was shortlisted for an interview only at QUB but I was rejected from there today.
My stats were the following:
GCSEs: 10 9s, 1 8 (English Language)
Predicted A Levels: A*/A*/A (FM Chem Bio), achieved A* in maths and A in EPQ.
UCAT: 2670, B3
BMAT: 3.1, 4.5, 3A (yes I know this one is bad!)

Do you have any good advice for now and for my upcoming gap year when reapplying, as well as any good UCAT/BMAT resources for preparing for next year?

Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by danai m
I applied to Oxford, Leeds, Cardiff and QUB all for medicine - I was shortlisted for an interview only at QUB but I was rejected from there today.

Do you have any good advice for now and for my upcoming gap year when reapplying, as well as any good UCAT/BMAT resources for preparing for next year?

Thank you!

For now, make sure you achieve at least AAA, for gap year, perhaps it is better to concentrate on ucat universities.
Original post by danai m

Thank you!

Unfortunately risk is inherent in ambition, but if you continue to grind ambition will swing back in your favor.

Not a medic but id say identify your strengths & weaknesses, find ways to improve your application with focused optimization & then target universities which suit your application stats.

It will be hard & give it time but understand medicine is only one career path & whatever the motivation im sure you can find similar motivations elsewhere.
Reply 3
Original post by Dnsnnssn
For now, make sure you achieve at least AAA, for gap year, perhaps it is better to concentrate on ucat universities.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Unfortunately risk is inherent in ambition, but if you continue to grind ambition will swing back in your favor.

Not a medic but id say identify your strengths & weaknesses, find ways to improve your application with focused optimization & then target universities which suit your application stats.

It will be hard & give it time but understand medicine is only one career path & whatever the motivation im sure you can find similar motivations elsewhere.

Thank you!! I think the strategy you’ve suggested is really useful, and I’ll need to present a very competitive application next year.
Reply 5
I would say definitely email universities that you applied to and ask for feedback, then take it from there. You may be surprised at what they say and they may mention something to improve that you wouldn't have though of. Then focus on those areas to strengthen your application for next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending