The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Arrival day for Freshers

I'm bringing my daughter to Furness on Sunday 29th, travelling up from Kent on the Saturday (300+ miles, 5, 6, 7 hours.....) and we are coming back on the Sunday.

I was just wondering about parking reasonably close to carry the mountain of stuff, how manic it is normally on the moving in day, if it is something I should start getting stressed about now, or if it is no real problem?

I think the Freshers are starting on the 28th & 29th. Is that the same date as the other years start, or do they start another time (later?). Do all years move in that weekend?

I guess we will be able to start moving her stuff in early(ish) on Sunday morning, so if there is a rush, we may be able to miss the worst (ever the optimist).

Anyone been through the day freshers start, and got any comments, hints or tips on how to get through it best? Is parking OK or none available on the day? Any good places to park, or is it just a free for all, grab any space you can, even if it is a long trek to the room? Or is it all no hassle?

Oh, another question - we will be staying at the Premier Inn on the Saturday evening. It would be nice to go into town and grab a meal. Any recommendations? We have a broad range of tastes - indian, chinese, italian, fish, vegetarian, anything really. As a preprandial, it would be good to know any bars that do cheap cocktails for students on Saturday night too! :beer:
Original post by bb193
I'm bringing my daughter to Furness on Sunday 29th, travelling up from Kent on the Saturday (300+ miles, 5, 6, 7 hours.....) and we are coming back on the Sunday.

I was just wondering about parking reasonably close to carry the mountain of stuff, how manic it is normally on the moving in day, if it is something I should start getting stressed about now, or if it is no real problem?

I think the Freshers are starting on the 28th & 29th. Is that the same date as the other years start, or do they start another time (later?). Do all years move in that weekend?

I guess we will be able to start moving her stuff in early(ish) on Sunday morning, so if there is a rush, we may be able to miss the worst (ever the optimist).

Anyone been through the day freshers start, and got any comments, hints or tips on how to get through it best? Is parking OK or none available on the day? Any good places to park, or is it just a free for all, grab any space you can, even if it is a long trek to the room? Or is it all no hassle?

Oh, another question - we will be staying at the Premier Inn on the Saturday evening. It would be nice to go into town and grab a meal. Any recommendations? We have a broad range of tastes - indian, chinese, italian, fish, vegetarian, anything really. As a preprandial, it would be good to know any bars that do cheap cocktails for students on Saturday night too! :beer:

Hi :smile: I'm hoping i can answer some of your questions for you. Im a third year fylde student which is right next door to Furness so we had a similar scenario on moving in day. There's a lot of parking on the perimeter road surrounding Furness and fylde (who won't be moving in on the same day so that relieves parking spaces a bit)
There may also be some parking space within Furness college specifically but i imagine those spaces would fill up first. Parking can get very hectic but there'll always be fresher reps on hand to help you carry any luggage on up to the accommodation :smile:
Second and third year students who are living on campus will more than likely be moving in on the same day but i think that they are allowed a little more flexibility as lectures dont actually start for a week after the freshers move in :smile:
I would suggesting driving straight round the perimeter road to Furness college and parking as close to the orange painted buildings as possible.. You will have to walk down to the jcr common room to collect your keys but this would be the best parking for the proximity to Furness accommodation :smile:

In terms of restaurants, there are plenty of Italians ranging from bella Italian, to more home style Italians like Marcos. In terms of 'pub grub' there are two wether spoons and a Yates in town. There is also a really nice Spanish tapas restaurant in the heart of town, near to the cinema called 1725 :smile: another suggestions would be the Indian restaurant called sultans, a little way up the high street (very nice and also offer a cheaper takeaway option on campus for students)
In terms of cocktails, while i wouldn't call these very cheap options, both mint and dalton rooms do offers on very nice cocktails most nights :smile: plus there's always spoons if all else fails :P

Hope this helps a little bit. Any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rosyposypuddingpie
Hi :smile: I'm hoping i can answer some of your questions for you. Im a third year fylde student which is right next door to Furness so we had a similar scenario on moving in day. There's a lot of parking on the perimeter road surrounding Furness and fylde (who won't be moving in on the same day so that relieves parking spaces a bit)
There may also be some parking space within Furness college specifically but i imagine those spaces would fill up first. Parking can get very hectic but there'll always be fresher reps on hand to help you carry any luggage on up to the accommodation :smile:
Second and third year students who are living on campus will more than likely be moving in on the same day but i think that they are allowed a little more flexibility as lectures dont actually start for a week after the freshers move in :smile:
I would suggesting driving straight round the perimeter road to Furness college and parking as close to the orange painted buildings as possible.. You will have to walk down to the jcr common room to collect your keys but this would be the best parking for the proximity to Furness accommodation :smile:

In terms of restaurants, there are plenty of Italians ranging from bella Italian, to more home style Italians like Marcos. In terms of 'pub grub' there are two wether spoons and a Yates in town. There is also a really nice Spanish tapas restaurant in the heart of town, near to the cinema called 1725 :smile: another suggestions would be the Indian restaurant called sultans, a little way up the high street (very nice and also offer a cheaper takeaway option on campus for students)
In terms of cocktails, while i wouldn't call these very cheap options, both mint and dalton rooms do offers on very nice cocktails most nights :smile: plus there's always spoons if all else fails :P

Hope this helps a little bit. Any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Superb answer - many, many thanks.

I'm fairly happy about carrying the stuff - my eldest daughter went to York (War of the Roses all l over again!), so we have some experience with the shifting student stuff after long car journeys, and we also have a small trolley (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Platform-Trolley-Barrow-OT1008/dp/B004LYJPQ6). I'm guessing there is a small lift for getting heavy stuff to the upper floors (the lifts are normally almost big enough but not quite!).

I think my wife will want to have a shopping trip to get some food to go in the cupboards etc. I know there is a little Spar on site somewhere, but I imagine that is pretty small (is that the only shop?). Do you have any recommendations for the best/easiest supermarkets to go to by car to get a reasonable car load of supplies?
Original post by bb193
Superb answer - many, many thanks.

I'm fairly happy about carrying the stuff - my eldest daughter went to York (War of the Roses all l over again!), so we have some experience with the shifting student stuff after long car journeys, and we also have a small trolley (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Platform-Trolley-Barrow-OT1008/dp/B004LYJPQ6). I'm guessing there is a small lift for getting heavy stuff to the upper floors (the lifts are normally almost big enough but not quite!).

I think my wife will want to have a shopping trip to get some food to go in the cupboards etc. I know there is a little Spar on site somewhere, but I imagine that is pretty small (is that the only shop?). Do you have any recommendations for the best/easiest supermarkets to go to by car to get a reasonable car load of supplies?

Ahhh well then hopefully you shouldn't have too much trouble with luggage- especially with a trolley! :smile: if you're in superior ensuite Furness, there is definitely a lift in each block, however i dont personally know as to whether or not standard Furness is the same. Obviously the lift will get pretty hectic on moving in day and i would say they'll only fit one group in at a time.. So you may be left waiting unfortunately.. Luckily i had a ground floor room in first year so no such troubles :smile:

In terms of food shops on campus, there's the spar next to Alexandra square but there is also a lusu central (which is like a mini co-op) over by grizedale college but these are both fairly small- not recommended for a weekly food shop.
In terms of major supermarkets, the nearest and most popular is the sainsburys in town which you can't miss if you follow the one way system around lancaster town centre. This is also where the free Wednesday supermarket buses go to (just for future student reference). For more choice, heading out towards morecambe, is an asda which should be signposted off of the main road as you head to morecambe. I have also heard that there is a morrisons nearby (ive not got a clue as to its whereabouts)

Hope this helps again :smile:
Reply 4
I read somewhere that students have to book time slots to pick up their keys. Hopefully this will stagger the amount of people parking there at the same time!
Reply 5
Thanks both for your comments. With your helpful advice, it seems like it should be OK.

On reflection, I guess that there shouldn't be too many 2nd/3rd years moving in on campus, as most of them rent out in town, don't they? I did notice this:-
Original post by rosyposypuddingpie
Second and third year students who are living on campus will more than likely be moving in on the same day.....

My daughter's room is a superior en-suite which does look really nice and the 40 week let is really good as we live so far away (so don't have to empty the room at Christmas & Easter) and is also pretty good value.

To slightly hijack my own thread, I was wondering what the scope was for 2nd/3rd years having a room on campus? Is this possible? Or are the 2/3rd year rooms kept for foreign students etc? How do you go about getting a room on campus for 2/3rd year? Don't you have to arrange renting a house in town with friends really early (eg November/December), so miss the chance of applying for a room on campus, as that has to be really late? Is it best to just forget that idea and rent a house in town with mates for 2nd year?
Original post by bb193
Thanks both for your comments. With your helpful advice, it seems like it should be OK.

On reflection, I guess that there shouldn't be too many 2nd/3rd years moving in on campus, as most of them rent out in town, don't they? I did notice this:-

My daughter's room is a superior en-suite which does look really nice and the 40 week let is really good as we live so far away (so don't have to empty the room at Christmas & Easter) and is also pretty good value.

To slightly hijack my own thread, I was wondering what the scope was for 2nd/3rd years having a room on campus? Is this possible? Or are the 2/3rd year rooms kept for foreign students etc? How do you go about getting a room on campus for 2/3rd year? Don't you have to arrange renting a house in town with friends really early (eg November/December), so miss the chance of applying for a room on campus, as that has to be really late? Is it best to just forget that idea and rent a house in town with mates for 2nd year?

I stayed in superior ensuite in my first year and loved it!! I lived around 4 hours away at the time, so be able to keep my stuff there over the holidays definitely helped!
Generally, on campus accommodation is reserved for first and third year students only.. As second year students are expected to find off campus housing. If you wanted to apply for on campus accommodation, you receive an email during the year inviting you to apply. Undergrads actually apply earlier than ucas appliers (although i honestly couldn't tell you the exact date- i would reccommend contacting the accommodation office to ask them) and so wouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage if you wanted to play the odds of getting an on campus room
Traditionally students have been looking for houses in town really early in the uni year which causes a bit of a panic and a mad rush (we also have competition for town housing with ucum students) however there tends to always be houses left to rent in the new year as well if you don't sign for a lease before the Christmas break :smile:
Personally i preferred living in a house in town, but for those for prefer the halls feeling, there is always the chance to apply for accommodation at chancellors wharf (for 2nd and 3rd year students only) which is owned by the uni and therefore closer to the halls experience :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bb193

Hi there,

If previous years are anything to go by, parking is free on campus on moving in weekend - there's loads of spaces around the place. It will be fairly busy but people arrive at different times throughout the day so you should be able to find a space near the accommodation. There'll be a load of older students helping out, making sure you find the accommodation OK.

The earlier you get there the better in my opinion, people will be travelling up from all over the country so I'd expect most to arrive between about 11am and 4pm. I think getting settled in early is easier as you can say hello to new housemates as they arrive, rather than turn up to a full flat. Unfortunately for me in my first year I left the house far too late so was the last of my flat to arrive, even though I only lived about an hour away.
Moving in weekend mostly applies to first years - most other students live in town so we move in whenever our leases start. There are some older students living on campus, but they're in a minority.
Different colleges move in on different days to prevent there being too much chaos as thousands of people descent on Lancaster, it's also to help with administration when officially registering.

The premier inn is quite close to the Water Witch which has good food at a reasonable price. From the premier inn, walk south along the A6 back towards the university. After about 300-400 yards you'll cross the canal. Immediately after you cross the canal take a right down to the tow path and follow that for about 200 yards and the pub is there. There's a big sign directing people where to go from the road so you can't miss it.

For bars, there's Revs very close to the Water Witch. It might be busy as the Saturday night is the first moving in night. Bentleys isn't too far away, near the town hall (the one with the clock on it) and, in my opinion, is one of the nicer bars in Lancaster.
Reply 8
Original post by Manitude
Hi there,

If previous years are anything to go by, parking is free on campus on moving in weekend - there's loads of spaces around the place. It will be fairly busy but people arrive at different times throughout the day so you should be able to find a space near the accommodation. There'll be a load of older students helping out, making sure you find the accommodation OK.

The earlier you get there the better in my opinion, people will be travelling up from all over the country so I'd expect most to arrive between about 11am and 4pm. I think getting settled in early is easier as you can say hello to new housemates as they arrive, rather than turn up to a full flat. Unfortunately for me in my first year I left the house far too late so was the last of my flat to arrive, even though I only lived about an hour away.
Moving in weekend mostly applies to first years - most other students live in town so we move in whenever our leases start. There are some older students living on campus, but they're in a minority.
Different colleges move in on different days to prevent there being too much chaos as thousands of people descent on Lancaster, it's also to help with administration when officially registering.

The premier inn is quite close to the Water Witch which has good food at a reasonable price. From the premier inn, walk south along the A6 back towards the university. After about 300-400 yards you'll cross the canal. Immediately after you cross the canal take a right down to the tow path and follow that for about 200 yards and the pub is there. There's a big sign directing people where to go from the road so you can't miss it.

For bars, there's Revs very close to the Water Witch. It might be busy as the Saturday night is the first moving in night. Bentleys isn't too far away, near the town hall (the one with the clock on it) and, in my opinion, is one of the nicer bars in Lancaster.

Thanks very much for that. Free parking will be a big help - I was wondering about trailing round the campus trying to buy a day parking ticket.

I hope we can move in fairly early on Sunday - we will be travelling up the day before, and my wife and I need to travel back on the Sunday and need to be ready for work the next day, so we will need to set off fairly promptly. So that should work fairly well for my daughter too.

I was interested to see you as a Physics BSc. My subject was Physics all those years ago, and my daughter is doing the 4 year Natural Sciences MSci with a Bio leaning. Did you not fancy the fourth year of the MSci?
Reply 9
Original post by bb193
Thanks very much for that. Free parking will be a big help - I was wondering about trailing round the campus trying to buy a day parking ticket.

I hope we can move in fairly early on Sunday - we will be travelling up the day before, and my wife and I need to travel back on the Sunday and need to be ready for work the next day, so we will need to set off fairly promptly. So that should work fairly well for my daughter too.

I was interested to see you as a Physics BSc. My subject was Physics all those years ago, and my daughter is doing the 4 year Natural Sciences MSci with a Bio leaning. Did you not fancy the fourth year of the MSci?

Until about March this year I was doing MPhys, but I decided to graduate with a BSc this year instead on the basis that I wasn't interested in the majority of the modules I'd have to do in fourth year. I decided to study MSc Volcanology and Geological Hazards (also at Lancaster) this year. It's a bit of a chance of discipline, but a couple of other physics students have made the transition before and did well in it.
Reply 10
Until about March this year I was doing MPhys, but I decided to graduate with a BSc this year instead on the basis that I wasn't interested in the majority of the modules I'd have to do in fourth year. I decided to study MSc Volcanology and Geological Hazards (also at Lancaster) this year. It's a bit of a chance of discipline, but a couple of other physics students have made the transition before and did well in it.

That sounds like a great course - I'm very jealous. My wife did Geography for her degree, and I'm sure she would love the course too! I still love physics - but there is a bit of a thing that it leads you to research, atomic power or making bombs. Have good time with your new course, and best of luck :smile:
Reply 11
I have no useful advice to contribute - mostly because I'll be just as clueless about moving in - but I'm moving into Furness superior ensuite this year too :smile:

Useful thread though, thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by bb193
That sounds like a great course - I'm very jealous. My wife did Geography for her degree, and I'm sure she would love the course too! I still love physics - but there is a bit of a thing that it leads you to research, atomic power or making bombs. Have good time with your new course, and best of luck :smile:

I'm really looking forward to it - especially the field trip to Mt Etna!
Physics is a great subject and there's a whole ton of careers that I could do and be interested in, hopefully I'll find something that bridges the gap where I can use my physics skills in a volcanology setting.

Thanks!

Best of luck to your daughter, too. If she decides to do any physics modules then she'll be automatically a member of the physics society (which I'm currently president of), but you said she was leaning towards biology so I figure that's somewhat unlikely.
Reply 13
We're travelling up from Kent too, although on the Friday ready for moving in on the Saturday. 4.5 hours from the Maidstone area, depending on the dreaded M6.
Reply 14
I'm really looking forward to it - especially the field trip to Mt Etna!
Physics is a great subject and there's a whole ton of careers that I could do and be interested in, hopefully I'll find something that bridges the gap where I can use my physics skills in a volcanology setting.

Thanks!

Best of luck to your daughter, too. If she decides to do any physics modules then she'll be automatically a member of the physics society (which I'm currently president of), but you said she was leaning towards biology so I figure that's somewhat unlikely.

I'm afraid I tried my best - all three of my daughters got A* in physics (indeed all the sciences) at GCSE, and not one took physics on to AS level or even showed any interest in it (they all took Chemistry AS and two out of the three took Biology A2) :frown:

That said, the stuff that is done in Chemistry now, I studied as Physics when I did it, and Biology is more and more like Chemistry - much less liquid, dissection, classification, essays, waffle and hand waving. They are all coming to the dark side!

I was wondering - when you changed the Masters element of your course, did you manage to maintain access to the 4th year student loan for fees and maintenance? Or are you having to fund it yourself? (My eldest daughter is studying History at York, and she is having to fund her Masters entirely herself - the government has withdrawn from funding postgrad Humanities).

There is so much great stuff in science nowadays, and my daughter wanted to keep her learning broad, without selecting a particular subject - so I suggested the 'Natural Sciences' courses. They allow for broad based scientific learning and a wide range of choices as the course progresses. I just thought if there was scope for such significant shifting of topic even at the Masters stage (obviously still within the science arena, and showing sufficient interest and aptitude), while maintaining access to the student loan, that is a pretty major element of flexibility that is available. Is that how it worked, or was it not as flexible as it sounds?
Reply 15
Original post by bb193
I'm afraid I tried my best - all three of my daughters got A* in physics (indeed all the sciences) at GCSE, and not one took physics on to AS level or even showed any interest in it (they all took Chemistry AS and two out of the three took Biology A2) :frown:

That said, the stuff that is done in Chemistry now, I studied as Physics when I did it, and Biology is more and more like Chemistry - much less liquid, dissection, classification, essays, waffle and hand waving. They are all coming to the dark side!

I was wondering - when you changed the Masters element of your course, did you manage to maintain access to the 4th year student loan for fees and maintenance? Or are you having to fund it yourself? (My eldest daughter is studying History at York, and she is having to fund her Masters entirely herself - the government has withdrawn from funding postgrad Humanities).

There is so much great stuff in science nowadays, and my daughter wanted to keep her learning broad, without selecting a particular subject - so I suggested the 'Natural Sciences' courses. They allow for broad based scientific learning and a wide range of choices as the course progresses. I just thought if there was scope for such significant shifting of topic even at the Masters stage (obviously still within the science arena, and showing sufficient interest and aptitude), while maintaining access to the student loan, that is a pretty major element of flexibility that is available. Is that how it worked, or was it not as flexible as it sounds?

Unfortunately physics isn't for everyone, but that's not to say biology and chemistry aren't very important fields. Some of the stuff they're doing these days is brilliant, like growing human organs in the lab with no risk of rejection by the recipient. Things like that really amazes me.

Unfortunately I'm not entitled to student finance this year, as it's a postgraduate. As a result I'm having to pay the tuition fees out of my own pocket. My parents are willing to pay for accommodation and living expenses which is more than in previous years, but this is still going to virtually wipe out my savings as I didn't get any of the scholarships I applied for! That should give me a good incentive to work hard though.

Natural Science is quite an odd degree at lancaster, I know a few people who have done it. If you have a lot of areas of interest then it's very good to get a broad knowledge base, but the time table can be horrendous because departments schedule their own modules so they don't class with each other, but they don't take into account other departments' time table arrangements. So clashes for nat sci students are common.
I don't know how flexible the MSci nat sci degree is at the masters stage, as that's only recently been introduced, it used to only be BSc. But I figure so long as you have the background knowledge you can do a final year project from any relevant department. Certainly my friends could do any modules they wanted, even if they didn't have all the prerequisites. I don't see why that flexibility wouldn't continue to the fourth year
Hi, I know most of your questions have probably been answered already but i thought i'd still reply with my thoughts, just in case they help you in anyway!

Firstly parking is pretty good, no matter which college you go to theres always plenty of space close by, obviously the earlier you arrive, the better!I would say its actually not that manic in my opinion and i moved in on a day where it was pouring it down with rain too! Since everyone is separated into colleges it makes everything a lot easier from picking up your keys, someone will show you to your building and usually your room and then let you get on with moving in.. so in my opinion nothing really to stress about!

Freshers, Grad, all years.. pretty much everyone will move in on that weekend, but again its split between colleges, thus a little less hectic than you'd think.

I've been there on the moving in weekend, as a student myself going into third year now, i think only hints/tips i could think of is, normally you'll go to the porters lodge or bar which ever you've been told by your college so try not to park too far out, as you can always move closer to your building when you know which one you'll be helping your daughter to move into. Also, although you'll probably know this, i would advise comfortable clothes and good footwear, as you never know you could end up being on the top floor, which is a lot of boxes etc to lug up flights of stairs.
Also, i would say when packing just try to divide your stuff up into like kitchen, bathroom and personal stuff, to make it easier and much quicker when unpacking.
An important one i would say is the inventory list that will be given to you, it makes it much easier to do this before you start unpacking, and will defiantly save you loosing your deposit is there was already marks etc on the wall.
As i said before parking is widely available as they'll only be 3/4 colleges moving in on the sunday and for many years as been free on the moving in weekend.

I can't remember the name properly i think it could be called blue moon or something along those line, which is a really nice thai restaurant.

Finally it is possible to get accommodation during second year on campus as long as you apply in good time, however many second years tend to choose to live in town within flats or houses as it sometimes works out cheaper. And as for third year, campus accommodation is made priority for third years as well as some other groups. As for how you go about applying for these your daughter will be notified of talks being held for each college explaining when and how to apply for the following years accommodation. I'd say you have a good chance of getting accommodation whether it be campus or off campus, and not to worry about that until the university sends out the emails/information for the talks which will normally be November/December.

Hope I was off some help and good luck with moving in! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by musictomyears
Hi, I know most of your questions have probably been answered already but i thought i'd still reply with my thoughts, just in case they help you in anyway!

Firstly parking is pretty good, no matter which college you go to theres always plenty of space close by, obviously the earlier you arrive, the better!I would say its actually not that manic in my opinion and i moved in on a day where it was pouring it down with rain too! Since everyone is separated into colleges it makes everything a lot easier from picking up your keys, someone will show you to your building and usually your room and then let you get on with moving in.. so in my opinion nothing really to stress about!

Freshers, Grad, all years.. pretty much everyone will move in on that weekend, but again its split between colleges, thus a little less hectic than you'd think.

I've been there on the moving in weekend, as a student myself going into third year now, i think only hints/tips i could think of is, normally you'll go to the porters lodge or bar which ever you've been told by your college so try not to park too far out, as you can always move closer to your building when you know which one you'll be helping your daughter to move into. Also, although you'll probably know this, i would advise comfortable clothes and good footwear, as you never know you could end up being on the top floor, which is a lot of boxes etc to lug up flights of stairs.
Also, i would say when packing just try to divide your stuff up into like kitchen, bathroom and personal stuff, to make it easier and much quicker when unpacking.
An important one i would say is the inventory list that will be given to you, it makes it much easier to do this before you start unpacking, and will defiantly save you loosing your deposit is there was already marks etc on the wall.
As i said before parking is widely available as they'll only be 3/4 colleges moving in on the sunday and for many years as been free on the moving in weekend.

I can't remember the name properly i think it could be called blue moon or something along those line, which is a really nice thai restaurant.

Finally it is possible to get accommodation during second year on campus as long as you apply in good time, however many second years tend to choose to live in town within flats or houses as it sometimes works out cheaper. And as for third year, campus accommodation is made priority for third years as well as some other groups. As for how you go about applying for these your daughter will be notified of talks being held for each college explaining when and how to apply for the following years accommodation. I'd say you have a good chance of getting accommodation whether it be campus or off campus, and not to worry about that until the university sends out the emails/information for the talks which will normally be November/December.

Hope I was off some help and good luck with moving in! :smile:

Many thanks for your reply - that is very helpful.

I hadn't appreciated that there will be a Porter's Lodge/bar dishing out the keys - I suppose I imagined a long queue at the campus Reception, so that it good news :smile:

The comment about deposit and inventory is interesting - I don't remember that issue at all from York. Sounds like it might be worth having a camera to record any issues not shown on the inventory

The whole thing about next year's accommodation is a bit stress making. My eldest daughter is at York, and they are told not to do anything about it until well into 2nd term. It is a bit worrying that Lancaster seems to say you need to start sorting it out not much after you have started. Trying to pick a bunch of mates to spend the next year with at that time seems quite high risk! The accommodation offered by LUSU looks quite interesting - I get the idea that these are effectively provided to each individual, rather than groups, which might be easier. I guess I need to just stop worrying about it and leave it to my daughter to sort out.

Thanks again for your comments - they are very helpful and pretty reassuring :smile:
Reply 18
I haven't read every reply, but saw someone briefly mentioned Freshers reps - there will be many of these people milling around on moving in day to help out. If there are any questions just grab one of them and ask away! Each flat is assigned two (could be one now) of these reps to look after them for the entire week - so there is always someone on hand to provide advice and guidance.

Each college also has a JCR which is a group of students who run all the events/welfare aspects, they'll be wearing clear purple tops with their names and positions on them. They are there to help students adjust to university life and make the moving-in experience as painless as possible. I know the President very well and I have no doubt that any issues will be solved really quickly, allowing for the best possible experience.

With that, my suggestion is to stop worrying! Everyone makes mistakes when they first live by themselves, which is why the support network exists :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending