The Student Room Group

Prepping for move to Uni

What sort of time frame are you given when moving into University?
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there

Current Cardiff uni student here:smile:

Can I ask for more info? Do you mean the timeslot for key collection? Or what dates you can move in?

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hello,

4th year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
It really depends on your halls contract. For UoS halls it usually is the weekend before freshers week, so for example this year it’s 23 and 24 of September. There is also some quiet moving days in case you have special circumstances, but that is arranged with the student disability and inclusion team.
It’s usually specified in your contract, best thing to do would be to contact your accommodation, they will have the most accurate dates.
I didn’t need more than the weekend to sort out things and I moved in on my own, so if you have family helping out it should be really quick.
The best advice I had before moving in was to not buy a toaster or a kettle, so you don’t end up with 5 in your kitchen cause someone is bound to bring one with them , or you can just buy it later if no one does.

Hope this is helpful!

Don’t hesitate if you have any other questions

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
Most universities encourage people to arrive the weekend of freshers week, Friday-Sunday which means you’ll be at uni for all the inductions, troubleshoot any admin, register in person (which is needed to get student finance maintenance loans).

In practice you can normally miss a few days of this if you can’t make it although I wouldn’t recommend this, as it’s a great way to make friends & get a feel for the place (and freshers is a lot of fun).

You can arrive whenever your tenancy agreement starts, halls typically open the Friday before freshers week (if you are an international student sometimes they will make arrangements to help you move in earlier).

Hey there!
Assuming you mean move in slots, your accommodation will usually contact you a few weeks before the start of your contract to arrange a slot. The slot usually lasts an hour and that's mainly because there will be other people wanting to move in that day and they don't want to congest the streets full of people dropping things off. You don't have to move in on the first day of your contract by any means, you can move in whenever you'd like. It's different for student halls than it is for student houses. Halls you have to book a move-in slot and houses they'll give you a date and time you can go and collect your keys from and you can go any time after that.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending