The Student Room Group

Semester Abroad...experiences, advice ect PLEASE!! :)

Hey guys!

I'm currently in the application process to study abroad in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I have yet to receive any formal acceptance/rejection. But the department at my University (Plymouth, studying English) has already nominated me and said I'm 'good to go'.

The only issue is, I am only going for a semester.
And i was wondering if any students could help me with a few things (please)

Where would be best to find cheap flights to Canada? As i am told we have to fund them ourselves. I have been looking online, but if anyone knows any deals or flight operates which are cheap, please help me :smile::smile:

My house contract here is still running whilst i am meant to be in Canada, does anyone know if you can sublet, or do you get any extra grants/loan you can use to help pay this whilst abroad??

How do you apply for the travelling grant with SFE?

Are you able to work whilst studying abroad or stay for longer?? Say i wanted to stay for the summer and work, is this a possibility?

Also i am a bit concerned as my University is next to Detroit. Not offending the city, as I know nothing about it myself, but when i tell people the reaction seems to be that negative, is the location really that bad?

If someone can help, i'd be so grateful!

Natalie
xxx :smile::smile::smile:
Air transat usually do the cheapest flights - although I have flown with air India to Toronto on the past - they are really cheap and the food ( curry) was great!
As regards Detroit it is a big vibrant city - has its duff areas like any city but we have friends that come from Windsor so have made the trip over to Detroit a few times and it seemed fine to me.
hope that helps - good luck with the other stuff.
Reply 2
I'm afraid I don't have any first hand experience, but you can always try looking in the International Hub? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=1177-international-study

It's pretty new so we're still adding to it but there's a whole section on studying in Canada and there's some pretty useful links on there which might be able to answer some more specific questions of yours :smile:

Also, I have a friend who's just spent the past two years working in Canada, I think the main thing to look into there is getting Visas sorted - you'll probably need a different one for studying there to working there so you'll need to find out what you need to do there, but I'm pretty sure it'll be possible :smile:

Hope you definitely get accepted! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending