The Student Room Group

Do ECT years straight away or should I go abroad?

Hi all,

I'm currently studying a PGCE in secondary Art, and becoming a teacher has been a childhood dream of mine, teaching is something I am very passionate about and skiing too.

However, before I started the PGCE I was working as a child's ski instructor, but since starting the PGCE it's all I can think about.

I'm in a predicament because I would love to go and do another season or two for a couple of years, but I don't want to jeopardise my chances of being hired?

I understand that you can complete your ECT training within 5 years of completing a PGCE, is it better to do them straightaway or would it make my chances of being hired smaller the longer I leave it?

I currently have no ties here or responsibilities to a house/or relationship commitments? I just have parents who are keen for me to get a 'real' job?

I'm just looking for advice/suggestions, please help?
Reply 1
Original post by Becky Nicholson
Hi all,

I'm currently studying a PGCE in secondary Art, and becoming a teacher has been a childhood dream of mine, teaching is something I am very passionate about and skiing too.

However, before I started the PGCE I was working as a child's ski instructor, but since starting the PGCE it's all I can think about.

I'm in a predicament because I would love to go and do another season or two for a couple of years, but I don't want to jeopardise my chances of being hired?

I understand that you can complete your ECT training within 5 years of completing a PGCE, is it better to do them straightaway or would it make my chances of being hired smaller the longer I leave it?

I currently have no ties here or responsibilities to a house/or relationship commitments? I just have parents who are keen for me to get a 'real' job?

I'm just looking for advice/suggestions, please help?

How long were you abroad for before the PGCE? As someone who started working overseas for "one year, two max" almost 7 years ago I'd recommend doing the ECT training first. You never know where life will take you, might as well be unquestionably qualified.
Original post by EIL3EN
How long were you abroad for before the PGCE? As someone who started working overseas for "one year, two max" almost 7 years ago I'd recommend doing the ECT training first. You never know where life will take you, might as well be unquestionably qualified.

That's a very wise suggestion! Thank you. I was only away for a couple of years, but its given me 'itchy feet' so to say.
There is no time limit to start your induction (ECT) or complete it. The 5 year limit relates to your ability to do short term supply work of less than one term. Anything a term or over has to be part of your induction period.

That said the longer you leave it, the harder it will be to get a job as you'll be competing against more recently qualified teachers so they will have more recent/relevant experience than you.

EDIT - you can do your induction in qualifying COBIS (British international) schools. I am sure there are a few that are handily placed for weekend and out of term time skiing.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
For anyone else considering a decision like this, I’d like to share my experience. I “skipped” the NQT (now ECT) period to go abroad immediately after qualifying, for personal reasons. Seven years later, I have returned to the UK. It has been easy to find a job but the down side is I have to go back to the bottom of the pay scale. On the other hand, I have had several years abroad earning more than I will ever earn as a teacher in the UK. I had my own reasons for doing what I did but hopefully this will be helpful for others.
Reply 5
Original post by Schm00
For anyone else considering a decision like this, I’d like to share my experience. I “skipped” the NQT (now ECT) period to go abroad immediately after qualifying, for personal reasons. Seven years later, I have returned to the UK. It has been easy to find a job but the down side is I have to go back to the bottom of the pay scale. On the other hand, I have had several years abroad earning more than I will ever earn as a teacher in the UK. I had my own reasons for doing what I did but hopefully this will be helpful for others.

Did you have to do your ECT years when you came back ?
Reply 6
Original post by Schm00

Did you work as a teacher abroad or do other work? I’d like to find out if I can teach just with qts abroad and not ect?
Original post by erawes
Did you work as a teacher abroad or do other work? I’d like to find out if I can teach just with qts abroad and not ect?

It'll depend on the country and school. For many, just having the PGCE is enough whereas others will want you to have xx years of experience, so pretty much having done your ECT years. You can also do your ECT in a British International School, so killing two birds with one stone.

Your best bet is to look at the countries you'd be interested in teaching in and see their requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending