The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Accommodation for semester abroad

I have a flatmate who wants to do a semester abroad in year 2, we have been talking about accommodation for the semester that he is here but don't know if we can do separate contracts with him getting just one semester and us getting the full year without the people who are staying for the whole year paying more

We are not looking to stay in halls

Any advice would be appreciated
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by BennP
I have a flatmate who wants to do a semester abroad in year 2, we have been talking about accommodation for the semester that he is here but don't know if we can do separate contracts with him getting just one semester and us getting the full year without the people who are staying for the whole year paying more

We are not looking to stay in halls

Any advice would be appreciated

Hey there @BennP !

Most contracts would expect the tenant that's on the contract to fulfil the rent payments. I had a friend who did a semester abroad in Australia in second semester and she had to carry on paying for the second semester of rent even though she wasn't living there. The other thing you could do is find someone to take over the second half of the tenancy by advertising it on Facebook groups. There will be people looking for tenancies for January intake so it may be quite easy to find someone as long as you advertise it early. If the contract is a year long contract then that person will have to pay the rent for the full year unless you find someone else to take it over. You could try asking landlords about semester contracts, however with that there may be the expectancy that you guys will cover the other person's rent in semester two if they aren't living there anymore. Either that or they'll say no because most tenancies are 52 weeks or just under.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending