The Student Room Group

PhD from United Kingdom

Hi,

I would like to ask if PhD from United Kingdom a good option for International Students?

I would like to know from someone who has already experienced studying from UK, like How much savings can be made from PhD funding or Research assistant-ships as an International Student?

And How does things work there? I am Masters student in Computer Sciences here in Germany, though I'm non-European, but still I find German universities to be good enough where International Students don't need to pay any amount and can get like 1800-2200 Euros a month during PhD positions !

I don't know anything about UK, can someone guide me through ?

With Best Wishes
International fees are very high here, and I don't know to what extent non-EU international students are able to apply for research council funding.

I don't know what kind of work you have in mind but earning €1800-2200 sounds completely unfeasible to me. Most people don't earn that much in their full time jobs!
Reply 2
Original post by nonswimmer
International fees are very high here, and I don't know to what extent non-EU international students are able to apply for research council funding.

I don't know what kind of work you have in mind but earning €1800-2200 sounds completely unfeasible to me. Most people don't earn that much in their full time jobs!

For a home/EU student, €1800/month isnt unrealistic - €1800/month is around £15k/year net after tax. A standard EPSRC PhD bursary is around £14-16k/year tax free.

However international students are not usually able to apply for research council funding and will usually struggle to obtain funding unless they can get support from their home country government, or can get one of the (very few) university-specific grants/bursaries.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by poohat
For a home/EU student, €1800/month isnt unrealistic - €1800/month is around £15k/year net after tax. A standard EPSRC PhD bursary is around £14-16k/year tax free.

However international students are not usually able to apply for research council funding and will usually struggle to obtain funding unless they can get support from their home country government, or can get one of the (very few) university-specific grants/bursaries.

Ah! I think, because of the OP's international status, I was assuming he/she meant earning that amount, aside from any PhD funding.
Reply 4
It is possible to get amazing funding and still be quite badly off as an international student. This is because generally fees aren't waived, and so they are paid out of scholarships. Over-research council funding can easily be turned into £5000 a year through fee deduction.

Teaching and research assistants aren't paid anywhere near the level they are elsewhere, and you would need to be working full time to live off these, which is unfeasible.

Saving is also unfeasible.

PhD students are students here, not employees as they are in many EU countries.;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending