The Student Room Group

Map of percentage of people going to university according to postcode.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Kater Murr
Um, maybe I am being really dumb, but how do you search by postcode? I can only see my whole county, not my individual area.

It's generally done my local government electoral ward. For example, mine is Ryton (Gateshead Local Authority) in Tyne and Wear,
Reply 101
Original post by River85
Ryton (Gateshead LEA). NE40 in case anyone's interest. Was where Curly and his wife, from Coronation Street, moved to.
Quintile 2 (38.8% of young people).

Lots of quintile5s, ie, purples down the road across affluent Tynedale and lots of red (1s and 2s) to the east in urban Tyneside.

"Proper" Gateshead, and South Tyneside, pretty much all red and orange. The only real exception being East Boldon, which is quintile 5 and really stands out as a result. Rather bizzarely has more young people in HE than anywhere in Tynedale.

Low Fell stands out like a sore thumb though, 49% where I live. South Whickham is also high. The difference between some places just two miles down the road is crazy.
Reply 102
On the map you can clearly tell where the old council estates were. It's only a very small town yet there is a massive difference. I live in a quartile 4 area (42.7%) but then the other side of the town is quartile 1 (16.8%).
Reply 103
I found a 90.2% near me :eek:

My own area was 57.2% though.
Reply 104
We're effectively a one (secondary) school town (it has a pretty decent reputation though). Ok a few people go to schools out of the area but not many. Most of our zones are 5th quintile with a couple of 4th quintile and one 2nd quintile. We live in a 4th quintile zone.

Interestingly most of the students who have made it to Oxbridge in the last few years have come from the 2nd quintile area lol but knowing some of those families personally they are of graduate level background and not disadvantaged in any way. The students concerned are from "professional" parentage and are going to the same decent school as the 5th quintile students. Do you suppose their 2nd quintileness means they get more Oxbridge offers?
11% totally not surprised. Most have kids.

Although it does just up to 50% in the small area where the college is :tongue:

My area (Swansea) is just a big red blob really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Folion
We're effectively a one (secondary) school town (it has a pretty decent reputation though). Ok a few people go to schools out of the area but not many. Most of our zones are 5th quintile with a couple of 4th quintile and one 2nd quintile. We live in a 4th quintile zone.

Interestingly most of the students who have made it to Oxbridge in the last few years have come from the 2nd quintile area lol but knowing some of those families personally they are of graduate level background and not disadvantaged in any way. The students concerned are from "professional" parentage and are going to the same decent school as the 5th quintile students. Do you suppose their 2nd quintileness means they get more Oxbridge offers?

This is how Oxford does its contextual data.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/why_oxford/codes_and_procedures/contextual_data.html

POLAR 2 is the predecessor of the map which is POLAR 3. This data can be searched at postcode rather than ward level (but not in Excel)

This is the POLAR 2 postcode data

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120118171947/http://www.hefce.ac.uk/widen/polar/polar2/postcode_to_area_groups_10_12_21b.zip

This is the POLAR 3 postcode data

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/hefce/content/whatwedo/wideningparticipation/ourresearch/polar/data/postcode_to_area_groups_12_11_19a.zip
ahh my area is red lol!
polar 3 quintile 1
Original post by russellsteapot
Mid-50s in my area, which is made up of several villages a couple of miles to the west of Hull. Go into the nearest city and it drops to as low as 7.2% and 7.3%, which is quite shocking really. I wasn't expecting it to be that low even in the most deprived areas. Does seem to perfectly map to area reputations, at least where I am.

Oh, you're near Hull. You're from the good side of the tracks, though.
Very interesting indeed.
Reply 110
LOL 8.3% where I grew up :lol:
I live in West London and my area is quintile 2, 22.7% but my step dads place which is like 15 minutes away from me in Harrow is in Quintile 5 83.9%. The difference is unbelievable
Quantile 5, South East London haha
Edit - 79.6% Area near me with 87.5% :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 114
Quintile 3, though I'm surrounded by 1.
48.7%, Quintile 5 in a relatively affluent area of London (prefer not to disclose location as small area). I'm surprised it's not higher, but it's only become gentrified in recent years so it has some catching up to do, I guess.

67.8%, Quintile 5 where I used to live in the Chilterns. Not surprised by that one.
Reply 116
Original post by james1211
Low Fell stands out like a sore thumb though, 49% where I live. South Whickham is also high. The difference between some places just two miles down the road is crazy.

Low Fell (and Whickham) would though. The only particularly nice areas of the borough are Ryton (the whole NE40 post code including Clara Vale and much of Crawcrook), Low Fell, Whickham and Rowlands Gill.

Wasn't including Whickham as "proper" Gateshead though, just as I wasn't including Ryton, Crawcrook, or Rowlands Gill. "Proper" Gateshead, by which I mean the town of Gateshead and its urban areas nearby, is certainly nothing west of Blaydon, and probably not even as far west as Whickham.

One of the worst parts of Tyneside, by HE rate, is Byker, and one of the best (perhaps the best) is Jesmond just a couple of miles away. Not surprising to people who know the areas but just serves to demonstrate how close by some of our most affluent and poorest areas area.
(edited 10 years ago)
19.8%, not exactly brilliant!
Reply 118
Original post by Kater Murr
Um, maybe I am being really dumb, but how do you search by postcode? I can only see my whole county, not my individual area.

What country are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
11.0% near me. :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending