The Student Room Group

Map of percentage of people going to university according to postcode.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElChapo
What country are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

County? East Yorkshire.
Hah, interesting! I always thought I lived in a ****ty Surrey town, and this seems to follow - in a Quintile 2 area, which is surrounded by a sea of quintile 4 & 5 areas.
Original post by JordanS94
Is it bad that I laughed at the step ladder :lol: ? I don't know how people like him get into all this crap :s-smilie: do they not have common sense?

On the subject related to domestic abuse, there was a man down my street who was accused of murdering his wife, I don't know if he was convicted though but I haven't seen him since. And also a guy decided to instead of abuse his girlfriend he decided to get a hammer and smash one of the good neighbours conservatory while they were in it making one of them go to the hospital :s-smilie:

No wonder our areas are so low if this is peoples environment. The bad thing is my brother occasionally gets mixed with these people and he's 22 :s-smilie:

EDIT: I feel like this post needs more ':s-smilie:' so here it is :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

:rofl: I love that face :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

I know. Our areas our obviously going to have university related issues if we're surrounded by such morons. :angry:

Where's your area?
Quintile 1 12.6% - not surprised. I live just behind the two comprehensives that literally prop up the county's league tables at GCSE...
Where I went to school, Quintile 4, 37.5%
Where I live at Uni; Qunitile 5, 75.4%
Quintile 4 even though I'm from Newham which is pretty renowned for be one of the worst boroughs in London... Strange. :tongue:
Reply 125
Urgh only 5% of people in my area go on to higher education?!
(edited 10 years ago)
My area is red, the entire street is mostly council houses and elderly people though. I don't know of anyone other than myself in the area currently at university though, so it's probably accurate.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
North Shields, up in the North East near Newcastle. It was like, ten years ago I think? At a Chinese :biggrin: It was pretty crazy.

I must now share this anecdote. It's compulsory.

There's this guy who lived at the very end of my street for years. He used to attach thin chains to the spokes of his bike wheels and cycle fast past kids playing out in the street so he'd hit them with the chains. He got kicked out the house a couple of times by various girlfriends, he was in prison a couple of times for drug offences and for stealing a car, and two years ago, he was sent down for attacking his girlfriend with a step ladder (I know, odd choice) when she wanted to leave the house to see her dad in the hospital round the corner.

And he walked past me yesterday. :rolleyes:

This is him actually http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/north-shields-serial-yobs-asbi-1406658

http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/local/man-stabbed-during-assault-in-north-shields-1-5231908 Same guy - he was stabbed this time though, this wasn't long ago.

I can one up you for scumbaggery. A guy in the year below me at my secondary school (which is 5 minutes from my house) was jailed a year ago for gangraping a twelve year old in the toilets of a McDonalds.:eek:

EDIT: This is him
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 128
Interesting that my small town is split into areas 5,4,3 and 2. I'm in a quintile 4 area. I used to live in a quin 2 area.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
:rofl: I love that face :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

I know. Our areas our obviously going to have university related issues if we're surrounded by such morons. :angry:

Where's your area?

I'm from Crewe :tongue: Pretty much the whole town is red except for the outskirts which aren't better they're around 20 odd % I don't even understand it tbh some of the areas are perfectly fine but their percentages are 10ish% and below.
3, 1s on two sides and a BIG 5 to the North

Such is the contrast of Northampton
Original post by Pterodactyl
I can one up you for scumbaggery. A guy in the year below me at my secondary school (which is 5 minutes from my house) was jailed a year ago for gangraping a twelve year old in the toilets of a McDonalds.:eek:

EDIT: This is him

****ing Hell, that's crazy. What an utter scumbag, truly. :angry: Some people truly are evil.

Original post by JordanS94
I'm from Crewe :tongue: Pretty much the whole town is red except for the outskirts which aren't better they're around 20 odd % I don't even understand it tbh some of the areas are perfectly fine but their percentages are 10ish% and below.

The street next to mine is literally twice the percentage mine is. :confused: God.
Reply 132
22.4% where I live, but dips down to 14.2% in most parts of the town!
Reply 133
sort of surprised that the beautiful Romford even made it into quintile 3. though if we're comparing 'scumbaggery', i did go to the same sixth form as one of the woolwich attackers!
used to live in Quintile 1 area, just moved to a Quintile 5 area...brilliant
Reply 135
My entire town is a big red blob. My particular quintile is 16.4%.

That's an interesting map.
Reply 136
I'm in yellow (33%). Quite surprising.. most of my friends have gone. I guess I live in an place where there are quite large cultural and economic differences in a small area. Also the local comprehensive is pure ****e

Should add both of my schools are in blue areas (64% and 72%)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 137
68.3% where I lived/studied.
It's basically just a map of wealth. There are some surprises though: apparently Devon and Cornwall is a redspot for university, as are the Fens and Southwestern Scotland.
It's red where I live, 18% participation. It doesn't surprise me, but across the town where I live which is quite large, there is quite a stark contrast between different areas as there is considerable difference in wealth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending