The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Mature student in Geography and Social Anthropology

Hi guys

I started a degree in Fine Art after I finished Sixth Form College some 7years ago. I chucked that in and entered the world of work and have been there ever since.

I started my own company in Horticulture and Arboriculture a few years ago which has been a bit bumpy recently and has made me to think about going back to University and trying another path.

I am really passionate about Geography and Social Anthropology and would like to study and explore these subjects.

I have good results from my A-Levels and have other vocational qualifications and a very good grounding in life experiences. The things I don't have are qualifications in either Geography or Anthropology. Obviously this will show on my application, but if I make an application with enough enthusiasm and passion might I be able to get a place at Edinburgh?

Is there anyone out there who has applied for similar degrees with these Universities without the foundation qualifications who was successful in getting a place? Can you give me some advice on what you did to get there.

Thanks!
Hey :smile:

I'm not a mature student, but I do study Social Anthropology. Most people doing my course (such as myself) have not had any prior experience with the subject, so it's more important to show your interest in your personal statement. Read up on any 'Introduction to Social Anthropology' books you can find on Amazon or in the library, and try to show that you have an interest in cultures or life in different countries :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending