The Student Room Group

Durham medical school 2014 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by k1rby
From what I can remember... The Durham interview is a relaxed chat with two people (one is an admissions person, the other someone from the local community). They know nothing about you - haven't seen your personal statement, grades etc. It's nice that you can bring up work experiences and you can talk about them and they are hearing it for the first time so you don't have to worry about repeating what you've put on your PS.

Leicester is now MMI and is super fun and very quick. It's great that if you mess up one station, you get loads of fresh starts. Some stations have people involved, some don't. You can't prepare for it. The only way you can succeed in it is by being calm which is more difficult than it sounds :tongue:

Okay thank you for being so helpful can I ask though is the mmi in groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by hl7495
Okay thank you for being so helpful can I ask though is the mmi in groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well all the stations are in the same room but are separated by like big dividers and so there are other people doing the other stations at the same time and you all rotate to the next station every 8 minutes. You don't interact with the other applicants during any of the stations :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by k1rby
Well all the stations are in the same room but are separated by like big dividers and so there are other people doing the other stations at the same time and you all rotate to the next station every 8 minutes. You don't interact with the other applicants during any of the stations :smile:

Oh right onto it! Taaaaaa bit nervous for mmi haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys! Anyone know anything about Stephenson or John Snow? (Seeing as its a decision we'll all be having to make if all goes to plan aha!)
Reply 44
Original post by k1rby

Are the stations all like scenario/actor based or are some more general like why medicine or give an example when in work experience you have ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by hl7495
Are the stations all like scenario/actor based or are some more general like why medicine or give an example when in work experience you have ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both of those and then there are some stations without people at all and you have a task to do!

Quote me in the Leicester thread in future because I don't want to go off-topic :tongue:
Reply 46
Ended up not applying here. I had a dream their cut off was 715 the night I was considering applying to Durham or Newcastle ( I have 707.5) really scared me lol and hence I didn't think the risk was worth it!

Best of luck everyone applying here! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im really confused.. i wanted to apply to duhram but on ucas i chose newcastle university with Durham campus as durham didnt have the med option.. did i do the wrong thing?? :O :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Original post by whatsupdoc?.
Im really confused.. i wanted to apply to duhram but on ucas i chose newcastle university with Durham campus as durham didnt have the med option.. did i do the wrong thing?? :O :s-smilie:

No that's how it works. Your degree is from newcastle in the end.
Reply 49
anyone else feeling worried about durham with these high average ukcats?
Reply 50
Original post by theCHW
anyone else feeling worried about durham with these high average ukcats?

Ayee!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51

out of interest, what are everyones ukcat scores?? i got 733 average
Original post by theCHW
out of interest, what are everyones ukcat scores?? i got 733 average

765 - Band 1
Reply 53
Original post by MedicalMike
So guys! Anyone know anything about Stephenson or John Snow? (Seeing as its a decision we'll all be having to make if all goes to plan aha!)

To be honest they are pretty much the same.. there's a bit of friendly banter between the two especially on freshers but it quietens down and people tend to get along pretty well between the colleges.

In terms of specifics Stephenson is substantially closer (2 minutes from campus) whilst Snow is about 15 minutes walk. Snow is closer to town as a result but obviously Stevo is closer to lectures. Stevo's traditional colors are red, Snows are blue.

Aside from that the facilities are slightly different Stevo has a Dark Room (for photography), pizza cookers, a bar right in the centre of the colleges and some other stuff I can't remember. Snow has a computer room, arts room, quiet room, college bar, music room and again more things I can't remember.

Whichever you choose your student experience should be approximately the same.. i would recommend having a look at open day and picking the one that you prefer. Sorry i can't be more help but I can't remember a lot of the facilities at either.
Original post by Wallam
To be honest they are pretty much the same.. there's a bit of friendly banter between the two especially on freshers but it quietens down and people tend to get along pretty well between the colleges.

In terms of specifics Stephenson is substantially closer (2 minutes from campus) whilst Snow is about 15 minutes walk. Snow is closer to town as a result but obviously Stevo is closer to lectures. Stevo's traditional colors are red, Snows are blue.

Aside from that the facilities are slightly different Stevo has a Dark Room (for photography), pizza cookers, a bar right in the centre of the colleges and some other stuff I can't remember. Snow has a computer room, arts room, quiet room, college bar, music room and again more things I can't remember.

Whichever you choose your student experience should be approximately the same.. i would recommend having a look at open day and picking the one that you prefer. Sorry i can't be more help but I can't remember a lot of the facilities at either.

thank you, that's really helpful!
Just got a phone call and I have an interview! Really was not expecting that at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by Yolo_kevin
Just got a phone call and I have an interview! Really was not expecting that at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow congrats! You are probably the first few people on tsr to be given an interview. If I may ask, when will you be having it?
Original post by Yolo_kevin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! That was quick! When is your interview? Do you mind sharing your stats?
Does this mean our UKCAT scores have already been sent to the universities?
Original post by chowkat
Wow congrats! You are probably the first few people on tsr to be given an interview. If I may ask, when will you be having it?

Thank you! November 13th, they rang and asked if I was available then (very accommodating of them lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by great life
Congratulations! That was quick! When is your interview? Do you mind sharing your stats?
Does this mean our UKCAT scores have already been sent to the universities?

Thanks :smile: well I put my ukcat score on my application but I wouldn't have thought they'd just trust me blindly haha. Nah I don't mind :smile: I got 780 in my ukcat and 3a* and an a at a level (I'm a reapplicant)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending