The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering?

Hi,
Just a little but of background info before I begin:
AS Grades- (BBBB), Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Predicted Grades: (AAB), A in chem and maths respectively with B in physics.

After my blunder with AS year where I achieved pretty low -Average grades I sort of gotten depressed lately. I realised I can no longer pursue a degree in Physics(MSci).
I sort of narrowed down my degree choices to Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. I decided that which ever one I do, I would like to attend a university which is appropriately accredited so I can become a chartered engineer (CEng).
As this was all last minute I am kinda torn between the two (I don't mind one or the either as a degree).
I just wanted to know if any of you guys are chemical engineers to be or chemical engineers to be provide an insight to what kind of career prospects you can get in both fields with salary ranges (if its not too much trouble) as well as how easy is it to move up the ranks.
I am not sure which kind of jobs you can get in both fields.
any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks Sayem.

PS. The reason why I do not wish to do a physics degree is because I realised I wanted to do it for the wrong reasons i.e. as soon as I finish with a physics degree I would straightaway jump in to finance job (I realised I can do this with engineering) i wasn't committed to physics for the rest of my life as a career.

PSS. Also I just wanted to know on the university website when they tell you their typical offers (e.g.. AAA) are they the predicted grades they are looking for when applying through UCAS or the offers they give out, so knowing my predicted grades AAB would it be feasible to apply to an AAA typical offer or would they flatly reject me straight away?
Original post by Sayem
Hi,
Just a little but of background info before I begin:
AS Grades- (BBBB), Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Predicted Grades: (AAB), A in chem and maths respectively with B in physics.

After my blunder with AS year where I achieved pretty low -Average grades I sort of gotten depressed lately. I realised I can no longer pursue a degree in Physics(MSci).
I sort of narrowed down my degree choices to Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. I decided that which ever one I do, I would like to attend a university which is appropriately accredited so I can become a chartered engineer (CEng).
As this was all last minute I am kinda torn between the two (I don't mind one or the either as a degree).
I just wanted to know if any of you guys are chemical engineers to be or chemical engineers to be provide an insight to what kind of career prospects you can get in both fields with salary ranges (if its not too much trouble) as well as how easy is it to move up the ranks.
I am not sure which kind of jobs you can get in both fields.
any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks Sayem.

PS. The reason why I do not wish to do a physics degree is because I realised I wanted to do it for the wrong reasons i.e. as soon as I finish with a physics degree I would straightaway jump in to finance job (I realised I can do this with engineering) i wasn't committed to physics for the rest of my life as a career.

PSS. Also I just wanted to know on the university website when they tell you their typical offers (e.g.. AAA) are they the predicted grades they are looking for when applying through UCAS or the offers they give out, so knowing my predicted grades AAB would it be feasible to apply to an AAA typical offer or would they flatly reject me straight away?

Both my parents took mechanical engineering! Honestly chemical engineering is going to make you depressed, its very complex and needs a lot of hours.
Well what made you narrow your choices to Chemical and Mechanical?
What are your interests? This helps determines what kind of jobs you're looking for which determines which degree you should take.
Reply 4
If you really want to go after MSci I think you're being a little hard on yourself, you may be able to get predicted AAA, and if that's not enough, just do your A2s, get your A's and A*s then reapply as a gap year student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest