The Student Room Group

AS Economics and Business Studies advice

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any people who have previously studied the first year of these two A levels, it would be really useful if you could tell me how you found the course and how much I have to put in to get A/A*, is it easy (enough) or really tough to gain these marks?

It would be useful if you could give me tips for a level computing and psychology a, if possible.
Original post by MariaLouise_16
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any people who have previously studied the first year of these two A levels, it would be really useful if you could tell me how you found the course and how much I have to put in to get A/A*, is it easy (enough) or really tough to gain these marks?

It would be useful if you could give me tips for a level computing and psychology a, if possible.

Welcome to the site! You're unlikely to find help for this in the Welcome Lounge - that forum is just for people to introduce themselves rather than asking other questions. :tongue: I've not taken either course myself, but I've moved your thread to the Study Help forums, where you should be able to find others who can help you. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Illusionary
Welcome to the site! You're unlikely to find help for this in the Welcome Lounge - that forum is just for people to introduce themselves rather than asking other questions. :tongue: I've not taken either course myself, but I've moved your thread to the Study Help forums, where you should be able to find others who can help you. :smile:

Oh I see, thank you that's very kind of you :smile:
Original post by MariaLouise_16

I did this AS last year and managed to get an A, so I'll just tell you a few things that I wish I'd realised earlier in the year:

Learning definitions is really useful. As you're going through the course, I'd create a word document and list the definitions for every key term in your textbook. Then use whatever other sources you can (internet, revision guide, A/Z definitions book for the course) to flesh out these definitions and give you different perspectives. You'll get at least 1 mark in all the questions in the exams if you define a key term, so it's basically marks in the bag if you can memorise the definitions.

Read the case studies in the textbook and do the questions. Half of the exam questions are based on evidence which you use to apply theoretical stuff. The more practice you get at applying what you've learned to questions about a real business, the better.

Evaluation marks are really important in section B of the exams. This basically means that in the longer questions you need to write a mini-essay, giving both sides of the argument, always weighing up the relative merits of each point. Then you need to give a conclusion. A great way to practise this is to really participate if you do debates in class. Being able to argue your case is such a great life-skill, and it'll be useful for your exams too.

I know this is really difficult to stick to (well, it was for me anyway) but it's a good idea to be constantly going over what you've learned. Perhaps, every Sunday night, scan back through the notes you made the previous week. If there's anything you're not sure about, make a note to ask your teacher in your next lesson. If you can keep on top of it throughout the year, it'll mean you'll save on some stress near exams and you'll end up with th grades you want

That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this has been vaguely useful :smile:

Oh, and to answer your question about how I found the course, I'd say that the economics part is more interesting than the business part (personal opinion though) but that overall it's a great course. The content's interesting. However, in the exam, there are lots of hoops you need to jump through so be careful and read mark schemes/examiners reports to make sure you know what they're looking for.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending