The Student Room Group

which choice is better?

I'm in Year 12 and currently studying Economics, Btec Business, and financial study which is 1 alevel and 2 btecs. I have another option at a different school: German A-level and a Double Award in Business (equal to two A-levels). I'm not sure which one is better for pursuing Accounting and Finance in university. I'm a native German speaker, but I've heard some universities don't accept it as an A-level. Some universities require 3 A-levels, and I'm not sure if Btecs can count as A-levels. I plan to switch my Btec Business to A-level, but I'm still unsure which school to choose. Any advice would help. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Kajath
I'm in Year 12 and currently studying Economics, Btec Business, and financial study which is 1 alevel and 2 btecs. I have another option at a different school: German A-level and a Double Award in Business (equal to two A-levels). I'm not sure which one is better for pursuing Accounting and Finance in university. I'm a native German speaker, but I've heard some universities don't accept it as an A-level. Some universities require 3 A-levels, and I'm not sure if Btecs can count as A-levels. I plan to switch my Btec Business to A-level, but I'm still unsure which school to choose. Any advice would help. Thank you!

Hi, as you are planning on switching to A levels perhaps you should ask the sixth form in regards to your subject choice and see if there is another alternative available, or discuss with them in general. Hope this helps, as the sixth form careers advisor is also really helpful in these topics.
Original post by Kajath

Step 1 would be establish exactly what you're studying. I say that you say you're doing one A level (which is presumably Economics) and two BTECs, but there is no such thing as a BTEC in Financial Study. So this is either a BTEC in some other subject (perhaps Enterprise and Entrepreneurship?) or it isn't actually a BTEC at all (perhaps a LIBF Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies?).

The same goes for your "Double Award in Business". What you probably mean is a "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business", which is equivalent to two A levels.

Whilst colleges are often very casual with the terminology they use for the qualifications they offer, universities are not. Many (but not all) universities are perfectly happy to accept BTECs in lieu of A levels, but are often less keen on other "similar" qualifications. Some will accept a LIBF Level 3 Diploma, but some will not, for example. So unless you know exactly what qualifications you're studying, nobody can offer accurate advice as to how likely those qualifications are to be accepted by universities.

Quick Reply

Latest