The Student Room Group

how much have you spent since starting uni ?

How much have you spent since starting uni? This includes everything; food, rent, transport, bills, textbooks, going out. I've managed to spend about £800, although I am getting £150 of that back soon. It seems a lot and its almost heartbreaking to see my bank balance go from the 2000's to the 1000's :frown: And I haven't even been going out much. Someone in my class said they spent £200 in freshers week, just on going out.
Reply 1
About £18000. :shock: That sounds like a ridiculous amount. I'm about to enter third year and had a holiday job until last christmas.
If you've paid rent or for a bus pass with the 800 then it's not too bad. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by aims890
About £18000. :shock: That sounds like a ridiculous amount. I'm about to enter third year and had a holiday job until last christmas.
If you've paid rent or for a bus pass with the 800 then it's not too bad. :smile:
How much have you paid for, for this year so far though? I've paid for 6 weeks rent (£480), water bills for most of the year (part of which my housemates have to give me there money for, nearly £200 between us, but it had to come out of my account first), about £50 on uni equipment and a trip, about £40 on a railcard and a rail journey, the rest is on food and clothes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nic-nac
How much have you paid for, for this year so far though? I've paid for 6 weeks rent (£480), water bills for most of the year (part of which my housemates have to give me there money for, nearly £200 between us, but it had to come out of my account first), about £50 on uni equipment and a trip, about £40 on a railcard and a rail journey, the rest is on food and clothes.

I moved in at the beginning of august, so £550 rent, £275 deposit at the beginning of summer, about £80 on trains, about £400 on food and going out. A lot more than you, don't worry. Uni hasn't started back yet though.
Have you budgeted for the year or are you worrying about running out of money? You generally spend more money during freshers, if you're still worrying in a month then try to budget more carefully.
Reply 4
Original post by aims890
I moved in at the beginning of august, so £550 rent, £275 deposit at the beginning of summer, about £80 on trains, about £400 on food and going out. A lot more than you, don't worry. Uni hasn't started back yet though.
Have you budgeted for the year or are you worrying about running out of money? You generally spend more money during freshers, if you're still worrying in a month then try to budget more carefully.
I worked out that after rent and bills, I would have about £60 a week for everything else. I didn't realise how much other stuff I would have to buy for the year (or things that will last me a few weeks at least) though such as a rail card. For example, I have spent quite a bit on food but that includes big bags of rice and pasta which will last me several weeks. I think this still leaves me with about £50-£55 a week to spend though, which I realise is more than many people have. So I can't complain. But still, £800 in two weeks sounds a lot. Especially considering, when I was living at home I spent maybe an average of £10 a week on going out and shopping !
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending