The Student Room Group

Exams results being appealed: Edexcel

So on results day I was very unhappy with the mark I got for my AS Women (1860-1930) paper as I got 72/100 UMS and I really thought I'd done a lot better than that in the exam. So I got the exam remarked and it came back with the exact same mark as before, as any person would I then thought I must of just not done as well at the exam as I thought and because the exam paper came with the result, I took it to my history teacher to look over and tell me what I did wrong. Now my teacher is the head of history at my school, he has been marking this exam for years and he is one of the exams co-ordinators at my school so as you can probably tell, he knows his stuff. Anyway, I went to see him about this exam after he'd looked at the paper and he told me that he believes that the paper deserved a good 4/5 more marks (which might even bump me up from a B to an A in the exam) and that he was going to appeal the decision. He recognised that the paper was not perfect but that I'd definitely done a lot more than I had been given credit for. So my question is, how likely is it that my appeal will be listened to and I will get the marks I deserve? I'm hoping at least one of you may have some experience in this!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Its a question of whether or not the board deem it a suitable/reasonable appeal. If they think the work isn't worthy of the marks they won't award them, simple as.
Ok, thanks anyway. I asked my teacher and this is the first appeal he's ever done so I honestly have no clue what's going to happen, no one seems to know the likely reaction of the exam board and I may not know the result until November time! :frown:
Original post by Thisisgirlworld
Ok, thanks anyway. I asked my teacher and this is the first appeal he's ever done so I honestly have no clue what's going to happen, no one seems to know the likely reaction of the exam board and I may not know the result until November time! :frown:

Apologies if being blunt came across the first time, unintended. If it doesn't come back the way you want it to, there is always A2 to look forward to as well as the possibility of retakes.
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Apologies if being blunt came across the first time, unintended. If it doesn't come back the way you want it to, there is always A2 to look forward to as well as the possibility of retakes.

Don't worry about it! I'm just trying to not get my hopes but I can retake it if it doesn't come back changed. The good thing is they need to justify why they didn't give me the marks so i'll know better for next time!
Original post by Thisisgirlworld
Don't worry about it! I'm just trying to not get my hopes but I can retake it if it doesn't come back changed. The good thing is they need to justify why they didn't give me the marks so i'll know better for next time!

Practice papers also help refine exam technique so give a few a go :-)
Reply 7
Don't be too down... The women's paper was very random in January... I got 64/100 which was a C but those to resit and refined my technique (within the space of 2weeks prior to the exam) and came out with 90/100! I was chuffed, just keep at it and really click with what examiners want
Yes I'm trying to be positive and not think much about it to be quite honest. I find out my mark in November (I think) and then if I need to resit the women's then I will. It'll just be brushing up on exam technique and revising the knowledge stuff ... I got a level 3 for my own knowledge in the part B question in June and my teacher thought that was completely wrong as I'd put more than what was in the mark scheme for own knowledge - where that came from I don't know! Guess I'll just have to wait and see, thank you to both of you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending