The Student Room Group

appeal

Hi
So I've been told to withdraw from my course because I didn't resit all my exams.
now the thing is that I wanted to change courses from law to law with criminology. I emailed my tutor and there was a meeting where I was told to only resit 3 module exams and not all of them (7) to make the transfer. I did the 3 I was told to do. Then I got an email on results day that I was being withdrawn from the course cause I didn't resit all 7 exams.
I was confused cause I was told to only resit 3 of the exams and not all of them. I have the email from the tutor proving this.
Now what I don't understand is if I should write an appeal or not and does it have any chances of being successful?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by SEREFINA
Hi
So I've been told to withdraw from my course because I didn't resit all my exams.
now the thing is that I wanted to change courses from law to law with criminology. I emailed my tutor and there was a meeting where I was told to only resit 3 module exams and not all of them (7) to make the transfer. I did the 3 I was told to do. Then I got an email on results day that I was being withdrawn from the course cause I didn't resit all 7 exams.
I was confused cause I was told to only resit 3 of the exams and not all of them. I have the email from the tutor proving this.
Now what I don't understand is if I should write an appeal or not and does it have any chances of being successful?

Could the e-mail you received about "being withdrawn from the course" just be poorly worded, in that you are being withdrawn from Law in order that you can be enrolled in Law with Criminology?

I would forward that e-mail to your tutor and ask for that assistance, given they this has come about directly by following the steps that they outlined.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Could the e-mail you received about "being withdrawn from the course" just be poorly worded, in that you are being withdrawn from Law in order that you can be enrolled in Law with Criminology?

I would forward that e-mail to your tutor and ask for that assistance, given they this has come about directly by following the steps that they outlined.

That’s what I thought but my tutor got me withdrawn from the whole course and she left. So, we have a new tutor now he said he can’t do anything because the exam boards made the decision and i would have to make an appeal.

I just want to know if there’s any point in doing an appeal and if it would be successful in my situation
Original post by SEREFINA
That’s what I thought but my tutor got me withdrawn from the whole course and she left. So, we have a new tutor now he said he can’t do anything because the exam boards made the decision and i would have to make an appeal.

I just want to know if there’s any point in doing an appeal and if it would be successful in my situation

It sounds like your new tutor is effectively saying, "Your old tutor gave you the wrong advice, but there's nothing I'm able (or willing) to do to remedy the situation." Is that about right?

Do you know why the original tutor thought that not resitting four of the seven modules was the right approach? Were the three modules your were told to resit shared between both courses and the other four unique to the straight Law course, perhaps?

You mentioned earlier that "there was a meeting". Was this just between you and your old tutor, or were there others involved? Perhaps there was someone representing the Law with Criminology course? If so, could you contact them for advice?

You should absolutely appeal the decision to withdraw you from the course, if that is the direct result of having followed the (poor) advice from your previous tutor. I would recommend that you enlist the help of your students' union, as they will know how the process works where you are.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
It sounds like your new tutor is effectively saying, "Your old tutor gave you the wrong advice, but there's nothing I'm able (or willing) to do to remedy the situation." Is that about right?

Do you know why the original tutor thought that not resitting four of the seven modules was the right approach? Were the three modules your were told to resit shared between both courses and the other four unique to the straight Law course, perhaps?

You mentioned earlier that "there was a meeting". Was this just between you and your old tutor, or were there others involved? Perhaps there was someone representing the Law with Criminology course? If so, could you contact them for advice?

You should absolutely appeal the decision to withdraw you from the course, if that is the direct result of having followed the (poor) advice from your previous tutor. I would recommend that you enlist the help of your students' union, as they will know how the process works where you are.

Yeah the 3 modules i retook were the only ones that were needed in the law with criminology course. the other 4 weren't required for it.
there was another teacher present there i emailed her and she quite literally ignored me and hasn't replied back at all. I sent her the email about 3 weeks ago.
I've sent my appeal off today so we'll see what happens. kind of sucks being withdrawn for something that wasn't my fault.

Thanks for the help though i appreciate it :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending