The Student Room Group

Does open carry not just cause problems

Seriously, I totally respect the 2nd amendment but open carrying an AK 47 down the street on your back or chest is just plain ridiculous. I understand that the bearers of those arms carry if to protect themselves but do they not realise old people and kids could be scared by a man carrying a gun?

They should just replace guns with tasers. There simply isn't a need to carry a rifle down the road. A pistol consealed in a holder strapped to your belt (like police have) is perfectly sufficient.

Anyone else think this law is just stupid and should be binned? I wouldn't mind but 99% of the people who open carry don't do it to protect themselves, they do it to get attention from the police, wasting their time when they could be out doing more important things.

Just pathetic. That being said, if I were in america and could carry a weapon, I would actually carry a pistol in a holder on my belt, I think that is perfectly suitable and sufficient defense from any would-be attacker.
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
Seriously, I totally respect the 2nd amendment but open carrying an AK 47 down the street on your back or chest is just plain ridiculous. I understand that the bearers of those arms carry if to protect themselves but do they not realise old people and kids could be scared by a man carrying a gun?

They should just replace guns with tasers. There simply isn't a need to carry a rifle down the road. A pistol consealed in a holder strapped to your belt (like police have) is perfectly sufficient.

Anyone else think this law is just stupid and should be binned? I wouldn't mind but 99% of the people who open carry don't do it to protect themselves, they do it to get attention from the police, wasting their time when they could be out doing more important things.

Just pathetic. That being said, if I were in america and could carry a weapon, I would actually carry a pistol in a holder on my belt, I think that is perfectly suitable and sufficient defense from any would-be attacker.

The vast majority of people who open carry in America do exactly as you suggest, and carry a handgun in a belt holster. People who have to carry assault rifles whilst going about their day-to-day business, as many soldiers must do here in Israel even when off-duty, generally consider it to be a pain in the ass.
Reply 2
I have never seen someone open carry a long gun in America other than when I was literally at a gun range. The only time it even happens is when some idiot is trying to prove a point. Americans don't just cruise around the market with a shotgun or riffle slung over their shoulder. However, it is kind of cool that technically they can if they wanted to.
I don't think it's necessary to carry a rifle, but I doubt if many actually do it.
Reply 4
you have the right to self defence
Reply 5
It makes more sense than concealed carry. These people say that they want to be armed to help protect themselves against crime, but they're much less likely to be targeted in the first place if the criminals can see straight away they've got a gun.

I agree though that there's very few situations in which anything other than a small handgun should be necessary, and even there I have my doubts.
Original post by Arbolus
It makes more sense than concealed carry. These people say that they want to be armed to help protect themselves against crime, but they're much less likely to be targeted in the first place if the criminals can see straight away they've got a gun.

Of course, the existence of concealed carry means that criminals need to be wary even of people who aren't visibly armed, because they still might be, and thus lends a certain amount of deterrence even to people who aren't carrying at all.
If you do some digging on the Internet you'll find that every time some whack job tries to do a Columbine and there's armed members of the public around then they stop what their doing. .i.e. lives are saved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending