The Student Room Group

Apple TV 3rd gen vs 3rd gen (Rev A)

Hi guys. I am looking to buy an Apple TV and it seems there are two models now -

1. 3rd Generation - released March 2012
2. 3rd Generation (Rev A) - released January 2013

There doesnt seem to be much info online other than saying the newer model comes with a slightly smaller chip, but not that it is more powerful or anything like that. Does anyone know for certain?

The difference between the two models is about £20. Thanks
Original post by skribla
Hi guys. I am looking to buy an Apple TV and it seems there are two models now -

There doesnt seem to be much info online other than saying the newer model comes with a slightly smaller chip, but not that it is more powerful or anything like that. Does anyone know for certain?

The newer core is redesigned for the device, so while it may not be more powerful, it possibly will use slightly less power. The Rev A version is also likely to be supported (software updates and such) for longer.
Reply 2
Original post by skribla

It's basically the same but the CPU is resigned to make it cheaper to produce. It used to be an A5 with one core disabled but now its a single core. It was probably die shrunk as well meaning it's smaller (again costs less to make) and as a result uses slightly less power.
Edit: It was just re-designed no die shrink
(http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-latest-apple-a5-from-a-new-apple-tv/ )
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending