The Student Room Group

Travelling Australia.... SIM card/pre-paid MasterCard

Hi everyone

I am travelling Australia in January and wondered if anyone could give me some advice

I have friends who live in Australia so will be keeping in touch with them so was thinking of unlocking my iphone and getting a pay as you go Australia SIM card, is this easy to do? Is it expensive?

My bank is good in the UK but **** abroad, anyone got any experience of those pre paid MasterCard? Do they cost per transaction?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I would recommend you to purchase prepaid roaming sim card, called travelsim, i alway take it with me while travelling, top up on the website, delivery is worldwide, look here travelsim.com
When my brother traveled to the UK he got a Travel SIM. Maybe you should switch banks to one that is really good over here?
Original post by kjglen24
Hi everyone

I am travelling Australia in January and wondered if anyone could give me some advice

I have friends who live in Australia so will be keeping in touch with them so was thinking of unlocking my iphone and getting a pay as you go Australia SIM card, is this easy to do? Is it expensive?

My bank is good in the UK but **** abroad, anyone got any experience of those pre paid MasterCard? Do they cost per transaction?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

With regards to your phone, yes you can take your unlocked iPhone and buy a local sim. I'll note, however, that there is typically a $29 minimum top up, and credit expires after a month. When I was out there I used to make extended phone calls back to the UK just to use the money up! It's pretty easy to do - unless you're somewhere really remote, you can always find a news kiosk to top up at.

How long are you planning on going out there for? If you're on a working holiday visa, then you'll need a local bank account (otherwise you can't get paid). I had bank accounts with NAB and Commonwealth.
Reply 4
Thanks mate.... Really helpful!! Will travel to London which isn't far and get a metro account

As my mates live in oz, he will get me a sim

Enjoy India

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in Australia right now.

Sim card I went with amaysim can buy it from most shops. Sim card was $2, 1gb data was $10 they do other packages as well, was the cheapest I found.

Bank card I am using a Halifax Clarity credit card. Best card to use abroad no fees and get the interbank currency rate so better than any exchange place. Most recommended card on money saving expert to use abroad. I just set a direct debit to pay it off. Most the special travel card are a complete rip off and really bad value.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
(edited 10 years ago)
Used my Clarity, works just like your normal card you use at home. Used it to buy stuff in shops as well. Basically last time I went in 2009 I used travellers cheques or my normal debit card (£1.50 a transaction). So it always meant I had to get money in bulk and it was risky.

With my Halifax clarity I could use it like at home as no charges, small purchases in shops, get like £30 out etc. Much safer and easier.

Quick Reply

Latest