The Student Room Group

Gap Year/Australia/Work

Hi there! I was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone who has more knowledge or any ideas about this certain situation.

I have studied 2 out of 4 years at my current undergraduate university course in the UK but have decided I'm not enjoying it and changing career paths so i'd want to move to a different University course.

However, I've used 2 years of my student funding and only entitled to 2 more years - my new course will be 3 years. Therefore, I need to take a gap year to earn the money for this, which is unbelievably expensive (£9000!!).

My situation is, will it benefit me to travel to Australia and get a good paying job to earn this money as well as travel which I've always wanted to do (especially Aus) - or am I better off staying in the UK to try and earn this money. In a bit of a stressed whirlwind about this!

Thanks for reading my lengthy question!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by acaxia.h
Hi there! I was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone who has more knowledge or any ideas about this certain situation.

I have studied 2 out of 4 years at my current undergraduate university course in the UK but have decided I'm not enjoying it and changing career paths so i'd want to move to a different University course.

However, I've used 2 years of my student funding and only entitled to 2 more years - my new course will be 3 years. Therefore, I need to take a gap year to earn the money for this, which is unbelievably expensive (£9000!!).

My situation is, will it benefit me to travel to Australia and get a good paying job to earn this money as well as travel which I've always wanted to do (especially Aus) - or am I better off staying in the UK to try and earn this money. In a bit of a stressed whirlwind about this!

What will be the net earnings from working in Australia compared to the net earnings from working in the UK?

What type of work would you do in each location?

How much value do you place on the experience of living in Australia?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
What will be the net earnings from working in Australia compared to the net earnings from working in the UK?

What type of work would you do in each location?

How much value do you place on the experience of living in Australia?

I have no idea how to work out that first question sorry!

I've always worked in hospitality in the Uk but i really don't enjoy it, I've worked with horses on eventing yards too which i enjoy. My CV is very much based around waitressing as it's all I've ever done but i want to get away from it!

I've always wanted to go to Australia either for a gap year or to travel; it's just always something I've wanted to do. And now I'm in this situation I'm wondering if it'll be easier to earn the money i need in Australia all while enjoying being there! I've been doing some research but it's like a blackhole unless you know what you're looking for!
I have no idea how to work out that first question sorry!

I've always worked in hospitality in the Uk but i really don't enjoy it, I've worked with horses on eventing yards too which i enjoy. My CV is very much based around waitressing as it's all I've ever done but i want to get away from it!

I've always wanted to go to Australia either for a gap year or to travel; it's just always something I've wanted to do. And now I'm in this situation I'm wondering if it'll be easier to earn the money i need in Australia all while enjoying being there! I've been doing some research but it's like a blackhole unless you know what you're looking for!

Waitressing and working on a farm/ranch aren't going to earn you a lot in either country, tbh.

I suspect that you would have a greater net financial gain by staying in the UK given the costs of getting to Australia and back. However, from what you say I think you will have a far greater "life" gain in Australia.

I think you know what you want to do!
Reply 4
Waitressing and working on a farm/ranch aren't going to earn you a lot in either country, tbh.

I suspect that you would have a greater net financial gain by staying in the UK given the costs of getting to Australia and back. However, from what you say I think you will have a far greater "life" gain in Australia.

I think you know what you want to do!

Thank you!
Do you have any ideas on what kind of jobs would be worth looking into in Australia?

I would love to go to Australia, but I'm forever doubting myself that it'll happen - I'm bad with money as is so I'll need to save up lots as I really want to go end of this year/beginning of next year. I think it would definitely be a once in a lifetime kinda opportunity if it happens though!
Thank you!
Do you have any ideas on what kind of jobs would be worth looking into in Australia?

I would love to go to Australia, but I'm forever doubting myself that it'll happen - I'm bad with money as is so I'll need to save up lots as I really want to go end of this year/beginning of next year. I think it would definitely be a once in a lifetime kinda opportunity if it happens though!

There are special working visas for young people to work in Australia. Start there because I think they focus on certain sectors of the economy.

You also need to research costs such as flights.
Reply 6
There are special working visas for young people to work in Australia. Start there because I think they focus on certain sectors of the economy.

You also need to research costs such as flights.

Yes I've seen a few of them! And yes of course - thanks!
Yes I've seen a few of them! And yes of course - thanks!

I travelled round Australia for about 8-9 months so get back if you have specific questions. It was about 15 years ago and I was older than you but I might be able to help.
Reply 8
I travelled round Australia for about 8-9 months so get back if you have specific questions. It was about 15 years ago and I was older than you but I might be able to help.

Ah lush sounds amazing! I'm 20, wasn't really planning on a designated time period to stay out there either to be honest! I know i need to earn money and i know what i want to do career wise/uni wise - but it's just having to earn the £9000 in one year! I want to experience Australia and who knows what opportunities will arise. But like I said, i need to go end of this year to allow myself time to earn the money out there - but I'm not great with money as it is currently!
Ah lush sounds amazing! I'm 20, wasn't really planning on a designated time period to stay out there either to be honest! I know i need to earn money and i know what i want to do career wise/uni wise - but it's just having to earn the £9000 in one year! I want to experience Australia and who knows what opportunities will arise. But like I said, i need to go end of this year to allow myself time to earn the money out there - but I'm not great with money as it is currently!

We spent virtually all our time in a 4WD and a tent, not working though.

Saving the whole £9k in less than a year will be tough whatever your location. Think of it as £1k a month... Over £200 a week... and that's after costs.
Reply 10
We spent virtually all our time in a 4WD and a tent, not working though.

Saving the whole £9k in less than a year will be tough whatever your location. Think of it as £1k a month... Over £200 a week... and that's after costs.

Yes sadly i know, i'm doubting myself already!
Yes sadly i know, i'm doubting myself already!

Is it even doable in the UK?
Reply 12
Is it even doable in the UK?

I haven't been told many positives about the situation so I'm panicking hahah
I haven't been told many positives about the situation so I'm panicking hahah

Break the problem down into manageable segments. Start with do you actually NEED £9k before you start?
Reply 14
Break the problem down into manageable segments. Start with do you actually NEED £9k before you start?

Nah i don't think I need all of the 9k by the beginning of the year; I think i'll need my first term which is the 9k split in three roughly. So it'll be £3,200 ish
Nah i don't think I need all of the 9k by the beginning of the year; I think i'll need my first term which is the 9k split in three roughly. So it'll be £3,200 ish

Ok, so that changes the game radically. You can presumably work during your first year to come up with the rest, and/or borrow the balance.

Next, what would be your travel costs?
Reply 16
Ok, so that changes the game radically. You can presumably work during your first year to come up with the rest, and/or borrow the balance.

Next, what would be your travel costs?

Yes it's less stressful thinking of it that way! Flights cost anywhere from £500-£1500 depending on day, time, month of going. And then need to factor in the cost of a working Visa.
Yes it's less stressful thinking of it that way! Flights cost anywhere from £500-£1500 depending on day, time, month of going. And then need to factor in the cost of a working Visa.

Something I hadn't realised until just now is that you also need to have proof of funds to show that you can support yourself during your trip.

What course are you changing to? There are some exception courses that would be fully funded. Also, where do you get the £9,000 figure from? The cost of a year's tuition is £9,250 but then you need money for accommodation and living costs.
Reply 19
Something I hadn't realised until just now is that you also need to have proof of funds to show that you can support yourself during your trip.

Sorry for delayed reply, I've been busy with work! Ah yes, you do make a good point there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending