The Student Room Group

Should I Work Aboard during my Gap Year?

I am taking a gap year before going to uni and want to work for about 6 months before I go travelling.
I have been looking into doing work experience (payed) in the area which I will be studying at university, creative or engineering sectors. However, haven't had much luck in finding a company that is willing to take me on, as they usually do 'internships' for post graduates, but nothing for people straight out of school
Therefore, I decided that working a minimum wage typical 18 year old job is more optimistic. I don't necessarily need to save up a lot of money with this job to go travelling so thought that working this job aboard be a more enjoyable and fun experience. But what places and jobs should I start looking at?
Are there any jobs which people have previously worked/ are still working which you recommend for me to do? Maybe Australia, New Zealand or Canada (as they are English speaking).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The sunnier the better. Thanks:smile:

P.S I don't speak any languages, sadly, but this isn't a deal breaker.
You can get a working holiday visa for Canada, Australia and New Zealand if you are under 30. I don't know what kind of roles, I guess whatever is in demand, hospitality is always a good option.
Thanks for the suggestion of the work visa, I would definitely be considering that if I do work abroad.
I am just trying to find out if anyone has any suggestions for places to work or what websites to find the international jobs on.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You can get a working holiday visa for Canada, Australia and New Zealand if you are under 30. I don't know what kind of roles, I guess whatever is in demand, hospitality is always a good option.
Check out Gap Year World there are tons of gap year type jobs you can do.
Original post by Fredsaccount
I am taking a gap year before going to uni and want to work for about 6 months before I go travelling.
I have been looking into doing work experience (payed) in the area which I will be studying at university, creative or engineering sectors. However, haven't had much luck in finding a company that is willing to take me on, as they usually do 'internships' for post graduates, but nothing for people straight out of school
Therefore, I decided that working a minimum wage typical 18 year old job is more optimistic. I don't necessarily need to save up a lot of money with this job to go travelling so thought that working this job aboard be a more enjoyable and fun experience. But what places and jobs should I start looking at?
Are there any jobs which people have previously worked/ are still working which you recommend for me to do? Maybe Australia, New Zealand or Canada (as they are English speaking).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The sunnier the better. Thanks:smile:

P.S I don't speak any languages, sadly, but this isn't a deal breaker.

I wish I had taken a gap year before I started Uni. I could have got a full time job in the UK and saved lots of money to fund my living costs when I lived away from home, instead of going to uni straight from sixth form and having to work lots of hours to pay my bills while studying at the same time and getting into lots of student debt. I would have had more time to study and then I probably could have got a 2:1 instead of a 2:2. I was on track for 2:1 in my first 2 years and then in my 3rd year I got less maintenance loan but my rent was higher than the previous year so I had to work even more hours in my low paid retail job and my grades slipped.
Reply 5
Original post by gabi2021
Check out Gap Year World there are tons of gap year type jobs you can do.

Thanks for that suggestion, that is a really helpful website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending