The Student Room Group

Applying to foundation courses in art and design

Hey everyone! :smile:

I am from Slovakia, looking through the pages of schools I would like to apply to for a foundation course in art and design for Sept. 2014 and I am just completely confused about the applications. Does it vary according to each seperate university??

At first I was told the application goes through UCAS, now I'm seeing some comments that it goes usually directly to the school. I am particularly thinking of UCA Epsom, Kingston, Camberwell, CSM, Loughborough, Bournemouth, Oxford Brookes... (clearly i didn't pick yet). I am lost in finding information about how to apply, where to attach my portfolio website and all this itty bitty stuff.

CSM and Camberwell confused me because they do have a seperate application and I just wanted to make sure if I understand clearly and basically just need to sort it all out in my head to know exactly when to have my portfolio ready along with my the application.
Thanks for your replies and sorry for the rambling :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by evahab
Hey everyone! :smile:

I am from Slovakia, looking through the pages of schools I would like to apply to for a foundation course in art and design for Sept. 2014 and I am just completely confused about the applications. Does it vary according to each seperate university??

At first I was told the application goes through UCAS, now I'm seeing some comments that it goes usually directly to the school. I am particularly thinking of UCA Epsom, Kingston, Camberwell, CSM, Loughborough, Bournemouth, Oxford Brookes... (clearly i didn't pick yet). I am lost in finding information about how to apply, where to attach my portfolio website and all this itty bitty stuff.

CSM and Camberwell confused me because they do have a seperate application and I just wanted to make sure if I understand clearly and basically just need to sort it all out in my head to know exactly when to have my portfolio ready along with my the application.

Hey I'm not totally sure what the process is like now, but I did my foundation year at the same college and didn't have to go through UCAS. Pretty sure you have to apply to the school directly. Each place may have different application process so you could try looking on their sites to find out the application process for the course or you could email/phone them and find out directly.
Reply 2
I am currently applying for foundation diplomas at universities and colleges, you apply directly to the universities as UCAS is only for degrees (undergraduate etc.)

btw ow you can only apply to Camberwell or CSM and not both.
Reply 3
thank you both so much!! i was really confused there for a while. and yes i know you cant apply to both camberwell and csm, im just not sure which ones im applying to yet, so i was just listing the ones im considering :smile:

thanks again! :smile:
Reply 4
No problem, good luck with everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by evahab

From experience, I would say pick neither. They will continue to confuse you. I did my foundation at CSM and was really underwhelmed. UAL is a big place and it shows in their organization. It was often chaotic... Not to mention, whilst there are some great talents in there, a lot of it is pretentious emptiness.
Reply 6
Original post by Felix-Vivo
From experience, I would say pick neither. They will continue to confuse you. I did my foundation at CSM and was really underwhelmed. UAL is a big place and it shows in their organization. It was often chaotic... Not to mention, whilst there are some great talents in there, a lot of it is pretentious emptiness.

really??? ugh, CSM was one of my dreams....but im glad you´re saying this. which ones would you recommend? Kingston is for sure my first option. Many people said they have a brilliant course and one of my friends took it and basically agreed and said how amazing it is to study there. I would like to study in London, but if there are any great courses around the country I would be more than thankful to know :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by evahab
really??? ugh, CSM was one of my dreams....but im glad you´re saying this. which ones would you recommend? Kingston is for sure my first option. Many people said they have a brilliant course and one of my friends took it and basically agreed and said how amazing it is to study there. I would like to study in London, but if there are any great courses around the country I would be more than thankful to know :smile:

Haha, well who knows? Maybe CSM will fit you really well. If it's your dream then give it a go and apply. I also hear that Kingston is very good, although after my CSM experience I am always skeptical of reputations :smile:
Reply 8
Any comments on UCA farnham regarding the art and design foundation course? Anybody? :colondollar:
Reply 9
Hey, I'm applying for CCW (foundation at camberwell), Kingston and Bournemouth and I've been through the same process. The applications are separate for each one since they ask for different things. You don't have to do UCAS or anything. Look on the websites because they tell you exactly what you need to do. If you have any questions i'd be happy to help :P
xx
Reply 10
Haha, well who knows? Maybe CSM will fit you really well. If it's your dream then give it a go and apply. I also hear that Kingston is very good, although after my CSM experience I am always skeptical of reputations :smile:

what made you choose CSM over CCW..?

I like really like CSM, but I feel like I should apply to CCW to be 'safe' but I'm really not keen on applying there..
Reply 11
Original post by apennye
Hey, I'm applying for CCW (foundation at camberwell), Kingston and Bournemouth and I've been through the same process. The applications are separate for each one since they ask for different things. You don't have to do UCAS or anything. Look on the websites because they tell you exactly what you need to do. If you have any questions i'd be happy to help :P
xx

Thank you!!! I do have a question! :smile: I wonder if there is a limited number of applications i can send, is there?
Reply 12
Original post by evahab
Thank you!!! I do have a question! :smile: I wonder if there is a limited number of applications i can send, is there?

I don't think there is a limit. However you might now want to do that many because they're all individual applications, and they will probably be all different. I'm only applying to three, Kingston, Bournemouth and Camberwell for foundation courses, and this already feels like a humongous amount of work. In any case I don't think you need to apply to more than 5, chances are you'll get in to at least one if not more, and still have space for backup.
Feel free to ask any questions, i will try my best to answer :biggrin:
Reply 13
I'm applying to Bournemouth and UAL. Considering UCA and Loughborough but not very sure about them. It's kind of disappointing about UAL though - it looks grand, but most people say it's a bit terrible. I applied anyway, but it's definitely not my priority.
Reply 14
Original post by Woro
I'm applying to Bournemouth and UAL. Considering UCA and Loughborough but not very sure about them. It's kind of disappointing about UAL though - it looks grand, but most people say it's a bit terrible. I applied anyway, but it's definitely not my priority.

It is soooo disappointing (for me at least!)! I thought I was in for the best year of my life, surrounded by all the brightest artistic minds of our generation. What I got was a few talented people, lots of snobby 'aaaarrrrhhht students', London prices, and a terribly competitive and paranoid atmosphere. All style and not much substance :/

Original post by LL16
what made you choose CSM over CCW..?

I like really like CSM, but I feel like I should apply to CCW to be 'safe' but I'm really not keen on applying there..

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't heard of either before I applied - I got some funny looks when I said I was trying to get into CSM, probably because people thought I didn't have a chance... but in reality, I was looking for colleges easy to get to by train, and CSM was pefect!
:colondollar:

Go with what your heart says. Best of luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
It is soooo disappointing (for me at least!)! I thought I was in for the best year of my life, surrounded by all the brightest artistic minds of our generation. What I got was a few talented people, lots of snobby 'aaaarrrrhhht students', London prices, and a terribly competitive and paranoid atmosphere. All style and not much substance :/

Unfortunately you're not the first person to say that :/ The only reason I applied is because I don't want to wonder "what if".
Reply 16
I am applying for normal game art course in unis but i think I am way off the deadline of my college. (dont think I will get in anyway) But I was hoping to apply for art foundation course in either Farnham or Basingstroke. So from my research and understanding,you have to apply art foundation directly to the uni's website? I want to do game/CG arts in future.

I read the deadline for most art foundation application is till march?
Reply 17
I don't know about the one's you want to apply to but for me the deadline is the 31st of january, and then most places will have interviews in march. and yes, you generally apply through the website, or you download the application form and post it by mail. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by apennye
I don't know about the one's you want to apply to but for me the deadline is the 31st of january, and then most places will have interviews in march. and yes, you generally apply through the website, or you download the application form and post it by mail. :smile:

So does it matter if I apply for Uni and art foundation at the same time....cuz thats concerning me now. I mean I am applying for course in farnham and I want to apply for art foundation there if I dont get any offer...
Reply 19
You probably need to do Ucas and stuff if you're applying for a proper degree course. What some universities will do if you dont get into the course, they'll offer you a place in foundation instead. I don't know Farnham at all, so you might wanna check if you can even apply to both at the same time

Quick Reply

Latest