The Student Room Group

Tried Linux for the first time, was not impressed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sparrowhawk4
But you're going to have to do that whatever operating system you switch to, realistically.
If only there is a quicker way though. I have othe work to do and dont actually have a lot of time to be saving work and pics on Dropbox
Original post by John Stuart Mill
I use gnome shell and it functions really well; the annoyment over it is well deserved given that it was change for the sake of change but I can't say i'm dissatisfied with what it is they have done with it.

Tbqh, I think it's made linux easier to use ie: for the novices. It's also made linux tablet friendly which is the aim for all OS's atm

I quite like gnome shell. I think it looks pretty cool. I mean if you think about it, the Win7 and Win8 change of interface was "change for changes sake" Windows still funtions exactly the same - yeah there are more added features,but you can't really put many new features in to an interface

Original post by PrincessPB
If only there is a quicker way though. I have othe work to do and dont actually have a lot of time to be saving work and pics on Dropbox

But dropbox takes pretty much NO effort?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
But dropbox takes pretty much NO effort?

If you have a lot of files and a rubbish computer, it takes forever. I know from experience...
Original post by bloomblaze
she could 'dual-boot' her laptop with windows and ubuntu. This is an option, isnt it?

Yes, she could do that. Some things require windows, or work better under windows. MS Office 2013 has Skydrive! :biggrin:

Original post by John Stuart Mill

The documents won't be able to infect any 'linux' operating system you use as the virus was built to run on Windows; besides I doubt the documents themselves are infected.

Hmm just wondering with regards to Windows viruses, I guess they could run from WINE programs?
Original post by sparrowhawk4
If you have a lot of files and a rubbish computer, it takes forever. I know from experience...

Maybe so, but it's not like you have to do much. It just sorta runs in the background, and even tells you to get some snickers when it's slow (Srs)
Original post by de_monies
Maybe so, but it's not like you have to do much. It just sorta runs in the background, and even tells you to get some snickers when it's slow (Srs)

My laptop struggles just having the internet and email open at the same time. When I'm backing photos up onto dropbox I have to give up any hope of doing anything else for a few hours.
Reply 46
Other good recommendations for linux based systems (called distros in the world of Linux) are Linux mint (cinnamon edition), Solydk, and Pclinuxos (kde edition). These would be my picks for a new computer (less than 2 years old)
If your computer is old (but not more than 10 years) try LXLE which is based on a souped up version of Lubuntu (an ubuntu variant) or Zorin 7 light.

If you want to just try them out then a good way of doing it is multibooting off a usb flash stick using a system called Yumi multiboot.
Or if you are braver and you want to just dive in why not install on the hard drive of your laptop/pc as a dual boot with windows. (remember backup your work) For advice on dual booting see http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Ive been wanting to install Ubuntu onto my laptop but haven't as i am too scared. Also, I have so many documents and photos on my laptop, it is taking me ages to upload and save on Dropbox. I wanted to save all my stuff on Dropbox then reinstall a new operating system then re-open Dropbox and retrieve all the documents onto the new operating system. However, i feel too scared to do this in case it get s mucked up. I need help :frown:

Have you tried installing via Wubi? You'll need to be able to get in to Windows to do it, but it'll probably be worth it in the end.

It might be worth booting in to Safe Mode on your computer, creating a new user profile then getting Wubi through that. Generally a new profile will start off with fewer viruses you see.
Reply 48
Original post by mikeyd85
Have you tried installing via Wubi? You'll need to be able to get in to Windows to do it, but it'll probably be worth it in the end.

It might be worth booting in to Safe Mode on your computer, creating a new user profile then getting Wubi through that. Generally a new profile will start off with fewer viruses you see.

But what about all my work and photos in my original account? What am I supposed to do with them? The whole point of re installing a new operating software is so that the viruses can be removed. If i did a backup of my files, then wouldn't the virus still be there with the files after installing it onto the Pc?
But what about all my work and photos in my original account? What am I supposed to do with them? The whole point of re installing a new operating software is so that the viruses can be removed. If i did a backup of my files, then wouldn't the virus still be there with the files after installing it onto the Pc?

When you install Ubuntu, you'll be able to access all the files on your hard drive (though it might be worth adding "Everyone" to the NTFS Security Permissions first for your Documents folders).

WRT the virus, it's quite unlikely that a virus will hide itself in My Documents. I'd image that copying them to a USB drive will be fine so long as it's done within Ubuntu.

Once you've got a fresh Windows installation, get some AV on the go (I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials), then plug your USB drive in and give it a good scan. Should be fine!
Reply 50
slackware4lyf
Reply 51
OP, you're an idiot. Not complicated? You obviously no nothing about linux and only looked at it's GUI. It's far more powerful than you know about and you have no idea what you're talking about.

I hope you don't start reviewing anything else.
Well now I've got a new MacBook Pro and it's so much better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Try linux mint best one imo but yh ubuntu sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not a fan of Linux on desktop. It's still evolving with the desktops constantly changing. It is usually usable though.

Linux really becomes powerful when you want to program, customise, run servers, embedded, etc.

A Linux machine can become extremely powerful as a desktop machine but you usually have to invest a lot of time and energy in customising it.

It is also free.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending