The Student Room Group

Student Finance Won't fund my first year

Hi all. A few years ago I started a course at Falmouth University but had to drop out, I then started a course in the same subject around a month later at Cardiff Metropolitan but similarly had to drop out a few months into a course. Fast forward to now and I have a place at Birmingham City University but have recieved an email from Student Finance saying that my first year tuition fees can't be funded since the two courses I had started count as 1 year of funding each. I understand that there is a policy that no matter if you do 1 day of your course or finish the entire year it still counts as one year, but it seems really arbitrary and unfair to count two courses in the same academic year as 2 years of funding, at the time I was under the impression that it would've been like transferring to a different university rather than starting completely anew. Do I have absolutely no recourse here or is it worth getting in touch with student finance regarding this?
Reply 1
Original post by SonnyW
Hi all. A few years ago I started a course at Falmouth University but had to drop out, I then started a course in the same subject around a month later at Cardiff Metropolitan but similarly had to drop out a few months into a course. Fast forward to now and I have a place at Birmingham City University but have recieved an email from Student Finance saying that my first year tuition fees can't be funded since the two courses I had started count as 1 year of funding each. I understand that there is a policy that no matter if you do 1 day of your course or finish the entire year it still counts as one year, but it seems really arbitrary and unfair to count two courses in the same academic year as 2 years of funding, at the time I was under the impression that it would've been like transferring to a different university rather than starting completely anew. Do I have absolutely no recourse here or is it worth getting in touch with student finance regarding this?

You say you "had to" drop out, is it possible the reasons for that would mean you'd be eligible for CPR funding?
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
You say you "had to" drop out, is it possible the reasons for that would mean you'd be eligible for CPR funding?

Yeah unfortunately the evidence that I can provide for this isn't dated for the time that I left my course, I already tried this route and they got back to me saying that evidence cannot be accepted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending