The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings College London Postgraduate Offer Holders - 2014

Hello everyone! I figured I'd start a thread for this given that I have yet to find one (if there already is one floating out there, sorry about that!) and because I think it would be great to get to know anyone else who's got an offer for Postgraduate study at Kings for next year!

I can start off with a short introduction of myself, I'm an international student from the United States with a postgraduate offer for their MA in Environment, Politics, and Globalisation.

I'd love to meet anyone else that might be in the same boat as I am. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm a postgrad with an offer for Masters in Intl Mktg.
When will you start applying for accommodation?
What are some of the things you have started preparing for?
It's about 11 months till sch starts. I'm too early!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Anyone has paid their $1000 tuition deposit?
Original post by StefMZ
Hello everyone! I figured I'd start a thread for this given that I have yet to find one (if there already is one floating out there, sorry about that!) and because I think it would be great to get to know anyone else who's got an offer for Postgraduate study at Kings for next year!

I can start off with a short introduction of myself, I'm an international student from the United States with a postgraduate offer for their MA in Environment, Politics, and Globalisation.

I'd love to meet anyone else that might be in the same boat as I am. :smile:

Did you have to do a telephone interview? I'd like to apply to King's but I'm really unsure if I'm going to be able to do well in an interview like that :/

I realise you might not be allowed to tell me anything (I'm not applying to the same course as you though, as I'll be applying for their World History and Cultures MA), but if you had to do one, was it difficult or challenging?
Reply 4
Original post by Julesz86
Hi, I'm a postgrad with an offer for Masters in Intl Mktg.
When will you start applying for accommodation?
What are some of the things you have started preparing for?
It's about 11 months till sch starts. I'm too early!

Hi Jules!

I think they don't accept applications for accommodations until early next year, January and February. Don't quote me on that though, it's just what I remember.

Some of the things I've started preparing, really, have just been my finances and starting to look at the kinds of banking options I might want out there. Mostly, I'm trying to read up as much as I can about finances, scholarships available, when to submit applications for them, etc. As well as looking at housing options. I'm trying to figure out if rooming with a few people or just going for the University accommodations would be best.

Also, haven't paid a deposit yet and they've told me I won't need to until next summer before the year starts!
Reply 5
Original post by Skriblerier
Did you have to do a telephone interview? I'd like to apply to King's but I'm really unsure if I'm going to be able to do well in an interview like that :/

I realise you might not be allowed to tell me anything (I'm not applying to the same course as you though, as I'll be applying for their World History and Cultures MA), but if you had to do one, was it difficult or challenging?

Hello! I actually was not required to do a phone interview. Are you an international applicant? I know most, if not all, of the applicants residing in the UK do, and I'm not sure if phone interviews are required of EU residents. But from my international student perspective, no phone interview was required! Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by StefMZ
Hello! I actually was not required to do a phone interview. Are you an international applicant? I know most, if not all, of the applicants residing in the UK do, and I'm not sure if phone interviews are required of EU residents. But from my international student perspective, no phone interview was required! Hope this helps! :smile:

Oh, okay! No worries, thanks. Yes, I am an international applicant (even though I'm European - my country is not in the EU so classified as International), but I'm currently doing my undergraduate in the UK. It does say they prefer to do phone interviews, but I don't know. We'll see what happens I suppose. Thanks!
Original post by StefMZ
Hi Jules!

I think they don't accept applications for accommodations until early next year, January and February. Don't quote me on that though, it's just what I remember.

Some of the things I've started preparing, really, have just been my finances and starting to look at the kinds of banking options I might want out there. Mostly, I'm trying to read up as much as I can about finances, scholarships available, when to submit applications for them, etc. As well as looking at housing options. I'm trying to figure out if rooming with a few people or just going for the University accommodations would be best.

Also, haven't paid a deposit yet and they've told me I won't need to until next summer before the year starts!

Yes, I've just been told by accommodations that the earliest application is Jan or Feb, I do hope we get our rooms by Mar or Apr, instead of waiting till Aug (that will be a very long wait). I'm hoping to get into the Stamford halls beside the Waterloo campus that I'll be studying at. I've seen that area around waterloo and it's just fantastic, lotsa positive vibe and food as well.
I'm excited and nervous cos I wanna go badly to King's. I think with a certificate from King's, I could pretty much work anywhere in the world, it's totally recognized.
Reply 8
Hi there, I'm an international student with an offer from the India Institute at King's for their PhD program in Contemporary India.

Got the news last night and while I am happy I've been accepted, it's going to be a rather long wait - at least another 5 months I think - to find out if I get any funding from the institution.

I've heard doctoral studies can be a relatively socially isolating experience so it would be great to strike a chord with other prospective postgraduates at King's before actually getting there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ts2628
Hi there, I'm an international student with an offer from the India Institute at King's for their PhD program in Contemporary India.

Got the news last night and while I am happy I've been accepted, it's going to be a rather long wait - at least another 5 months I think - to find out if I get any funding from the institution.

I've heard doctoral studies can be a relatively socially isolating experience so it would be great to strike a chord with other prospective postgraduates at King's before actually getting there.

Hey there ts2628,

Congrats on the offer at Kings! I've been waiting a bit myself since I had deferred entry for a year, but I'm excited to be going in next Fall! I'm also hoping I can get some sort of funding from the school itself but will have to see early into the new year how all of that pans out.

There are tons of societies at Kings and I hear their Student Union is really great. I'm sure you could join any number of those. I wonder just how isolated the PhD programs are at Kings? In any case, I'm sure you'll meet tons of people even if you only try just a little bit. Will you be in one of the dorms? That's what I'm looking into now, trying to see where I'll be looking to stay.
Reply 10
Original post by StefMZ
Hey there ts2628,

Congrats on the offer at Kings! I've been waiting a bit myself since I had deferred entry for a year, but I'm excited to be going in next Fall! I'm also hoping I can get some sort of funding from the school itself but will have to see early into the new year how all of that pans out.

There are tons of societies at Kings and I hear their Student Union is really great. I'm sure you could join any number of those. I wonder just how isolated the PhD programs are at Kings? In any case, I'm sure you'll meet tons of people even if you only try just a little bit. Will you be in one of the dorms? That's what I'm looking into now, trying to see where I'll be looking to stay.

Hey StefMZ, thank you. I doubt I'll be in the dorms. I'll be looking for an apartment share or something that I can retain for a couple of years, ideally through the course of my doctoral studies.

Thanks for pointing out that bit about the Student Union. I'm quite clueless about student life at King's although I imagine being in London takes care of any worries about the social aspect of grad school. What I meant is doctoral cohorts are usually small (in my program anywhere between 5-8) compared to larger masters level classes which by default usually have a more diverse set of students. Plus PhD students don't really take any classes (aside from maybe one or two research methods classes) so that rules out one of the main forums of meeting people in school. You're right though, hopefully societies will be a good place to meet like-minded folks.

Good luck with accommodation!
I applied for the MSc in Psychiatric Research and IoP 1+3 Scholarship. Expecting a rejection for the latter. How long does it tend to take to get a reply from Kings? The MSc here is my top choice I think so i'm getting a bit impatient :tongue:
Reply 12
Just got offered a place for the MA Political Economy course. Not 100% sure if I'm going to accept it yet but there is a fair chance I will.

It looks like the King's accommodation situation is pretty complicated so it will certainly be useful to speak to other prospective students about it in the coming months.
Reply 13
Hey guys!

Did any of you get any help in writing your personal statement for your masters application to KCL or did you just write it yourself?
I've got everything done for my application for one of their programmes, my reference letters are finished and the only thing left is my personal statement but I'm really struggling with it. The thing that worries me the most is sending it before having any teacher or lecturer reading it through, but since I'm studying my bachelor's degree in a country where we don't have personal statements I'm unable to get help from my university...and the help here on TSR is only for undergraduate/UCAS applications :/
do you have any suggestions on what I can do?
Reply 14
Hello! I've received an offer for the Master's in Human Resources Management to start in the fall of 2014. I'm from the United States and don't know anyone else who will be studying at King's and would love to connect with people.

Zayna - I didn't get help from a University, but I did have a couple of friends look over my personal statement. It's a good idea to talk about not only the applicable experience you have for the program, but also what you plan on doing with your degree after completion.

Does anyone have information on accommodation? I've been looking at the King's residences and I'm very interested in living in the dorms as I feel it will be very difficult to find an apartment for myself from abroad. Are there specific ones to avoid? What ones have the best reputations? I'll be at the Waterloo Campus and would love to be close by to that.
Reply 15
@lizasaur - Where are you from in the U.S.? I'm from California and I'm in a similar boat about accommodation. I feel like the University housing would probably be best. I'm a bit stuck between a couple of options, but I'm also fishing around for info on the different dorms from a students' perspective. I'll be at Strand but I've also though of one of the campus housing options near Waterloo.

@zayna - I also just had a couple of friends look over my statement. I say start with a strong statement letting the reader know why you are interested in the program/study at King's. Include a bit of background, why you feel prepared for this step (study, internships, jobs), name a specific or two as to why THAT course at King's is for you, and what you're planning to do with your degree afterwards. Keep it short and strong. Have some friends proof read it once or twice. Grammatical errors can be killer. Friends will be your best assets in this area I think.

Other than that, good luck!
Reply 16
@StefMZ - I'm from Chicago. What program will you be in? I've only begun looking at different accommodation options, but the University housing seems the most convenient. It also makes me nervous as the majority of the housing is allocated for undergraduates. Which dorms have you looked it? I haven't heard great things about Lillian Penson house so far, but it is the only post graduate only dorm, even though it's not run by King's specifically. I've also heard that most post graduates do privately rented apartments. This seems like a good option, but much harder to organize since you'd have to pick an apartment and roommates (if you want them) without meeting anyone or seeing the place beforehand.
Reply 17
Lizasaur and StefMZ; thank you so much for your advice!! It really helped, and I actually didn't think of asking my friends to read through it. I've got some friends studying in the UK so they would probably be able to look over it and give some feedback. Thank you both once again, I'll rep you!
Hopefully I'll be back in this thread with an offer! :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by lozzyhickers
I applied for the MSc in Psychiatric Research and IoP 1+3 Scholarship. Expecting a rejection for the latter. How long does it tend to take to get a reply from Kings? The MSc here is my top choice I think so i'm getting a bit impatient :tongue:

Hey I'm thinking of applying for that Masters in a year or so (currently a second year nurse). Would you mind telling me more about the application process? I'm wondering how much we get to write in a personal statement/whatever? I've emailed the department and they've told me I'm eligible

Cheers x
Reply 19
@lizasaur - Oh cool! I was just in Chicago this past August, visiting a cousin. She works at the Children's Hospital there. I was actually there during Lollapalooza (I didn't go, but just seeing how massive it got was an experience for sure!)

I'll be studying for an MA in the Geography Department for "Environment, Politics, and Globalization". As for housing, have you read up on The Rectory? It's another (mostly) post-graduate option at King's, with some mature undergrads. Yeah, I didn't get the best information about Lillian Penson either, might end up applying to The Rectory and Hampstead, but it's been hard to find anyone with information on The Rectory.

I definitely want to be somewhere where I can meet some other mature postgraduate students. I've also entertained the idea of getting a place as well...I've seen some surprisingly cheap options through sites like Gumtree, but it is harder a bit more of a hassle to try to organize from out here. A friend from London offered to check out a place or two in person, take pictures, etc. if need be. Might take him up on that offer if I go the privately rented route, haha.

@Zayna - No problem! I always soaked up any help I could get about this kind of stuff and it got me here, so I'm happy! :-) Hopefully some of what I said helps you out a tiny bit. Good luck, and thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest