The Student Room Group

tax evasion?

So, lets say you know someone.

A british, 33 year old oxbridge graduate. He is (or so he brags) quite successful. He works as a freelance consultant with very high profile companies.

Luxury cars, lots of vacations, a nice lifestyle. It seems he doesn't have a permant address. Like, he lived in amsterdam for a while, then spain.

He also mentions that through some account in bermuda or something he doesn't pay taxes.

I'm not from Britain, but I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be paying taxes..and just isn't.

I also don't really care for him very much. And only that it feels similar to tattling on someone in grade school, I almost want to report him.

But I know his name, age, cell/email, where he went to school, what he majored in, amd what UK company he worked for.

Should I report him? How would I even do that? Could I do it anonymously? Should I bother?

ps. Don't date a girl, admit to doing something shady, and then be annoying and piss her off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't report him, get a life instead.
I think Bermuda is part of the British empire (or whatever PC name we give it now). In these parts i'm pretty sure that u dont have to pay tax. And i know a lot of international businesses are based in places like The British Virgin Islands to avoid tax.

I think the same applies for people and i dont think its unknown and there is some sort of restriction of not being able to get to ur money all the time or something. Anyway if hes rich he's probably got an accountant to do it for him hu knows what hes doing.

(btw i dnt think this shuld b under this area of tsr)
Reply 3
Tax avoidance and tax evasion are two very different things.

One is illegal, one is not.
Straas

If ur referring to me i know that n thats y i sed avoidance
Grass the ****er.
Tell him to pay you 50% of the taxes he should be paying, or you go to the authorites.
Mmmmm blackmail...

On a more serious note, leave him alone.

If he went to oxbridge, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. He's most likely found a loophole or something, and you're gonna seem like a right tit if there's nothing illegal about it.
Plus, why do you care? It's not like the extra money the government would receive would impact your life.

And trying to get revenge like this is sad.
Reply 7
contractador
If ur referring to me i know that n thats y i sed avoidance

No - to the OP, as the situation he's described isn't evasion.
Straas
No - to the OP, as the situation he's described isn't evasion.

o ok my bad.
Straas

our treasury minister made that very clear to my class at a talk we went to about the Isle of Man economy? Why is he going to bemuda????? We can hide his money here!!!!
If he went to oxbridge, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

that's a bold statement!
Reply 11
Shreerac1
Don't report him, get a life instead.

exactly
Do something else, like sign his email address up for as many spam sites as you can, use the prank phonecall sites to call him, spread the rumour that he is bad in the bedroom department. Ring up 5 different taxi firms and get them to send two cabs each to his house for the same time, like 4am, having asked the firms to get the drivers to ring his doorbell. Or hire him a prostitute for the night, in his name, and give them his phone number. Get her to turn up as a "surprise" at a posh restaurant he's eating at, or something.

Report him if you want, but he is avoiding tax, not evading it. If he's working in the UK he's probably paying some tax automatically anyway (i.e. PAYE and NI) and if he keeps the rest of his money offshore then he can't be taxed for it.
very dodgy......
FadeToBlackout
Do something else, like sign his email address up for as many spam sites as you can, use the prank phonecall sites to call him, spread the rumour that he is bad in the bedroom department. Ring up 5 different taxi firms and get them to send two cabs each to his house for the same time, like 4am, having asked the firms to get the drivers to ring his doorbell. Or hire him a prostitute for the night, in his name, and give them his phone number. Get her to turn up as a "surprise" at a posh restaurant he's eating at, or something.

You legend! What an absolute classic. I have done the spam one to somebody I wasn't particularly good friends with, but the others...? Cruel but classic :smile:
Anonymous

A british, 33 year old oxbridge graduate. He is (or so he brags) quite successful. He works as a freelance consultant with very high profile companies.

Luxury cars, lots of vacations, a nice lifestyle. It seems he doesn't have a permant address. Like, he lived in amsterdam for a while, then spain.

He also mentions that through some account in bermuda or something he doesn't pay taxes.

I'm not from Britain, but I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be paying taxes..and just isn't.

I also don't really care for him very much. And only that it feels similar to tattling on someone in grade school, I almost want to report him.

But I know his name, age, cell/email, where he went to school, what he majored in, amd what UK company he worked for.

Should I report him? How would I even do that? Could I do it anonymously? Should I bother?

ps. Don't date a girl, admit to doing something shady, and then be annoying and piss her off.

I dont see why you should report him. Its not as if hes sponging off the state and working at the same time.
Anonymous

Good for him! :cool:

Taxation is theft.
numero sept
Good for him! :cool:

Taxation is theft.

So how do you want anything to be funded? Its an intriguing idea that I can't understand. How is an achievement such as the NHS to be paid for without tax?
To me, the "NHS" is no achievement. Public healthcare never is.
So the fact that they cured my brother's cancer at a cost of some £150,000, with no cost to us whatsoever, isn't a good thing?

I can't personally see how you can say that. What are your reasons?

Latest

Trending

Trending