The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford: Clinical Sciences (Foundation Year) 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinuviel
My interview is also on the 5th
So confused because I applied for foundation year but should have applied for year 1. I have science a-levels too.
Not sure what to do because I have been called for an interview for foundation year.

Go to the interview. Too many people go into the course saying they've done science A levels its a waste of a year. Seriously, you cover science A level content over the span of about 8 lectures, by Christmas you're doing sciences (Especially biology) above A level standard. You also do essay subjects and health topics, which you will most likely lack knowledge in if you have only done science previously. (I don't mean to offend here) Don't just write foundation year off, because it really isn't "just A level" as many people claim. There are a lot of people on foundation year who missed medicine offers by one grade, they start the year contemplating why they took the offer, then by around November, they start crying due to the pressure of the work :wink: haha!

:redface:
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 61
Original post by sammyjade92
Go to the interview. Too many people go into the course saying they've done science A levels its a waste of a year. Seriously, you cover science A level content over the span of about 8 lectures, by Christmas you're doing sciences (Especially biology) above A level standard. You also do essay subjects and health topics, which you will most likely lack knowledge in if you have only done science previously. (I don't mean to offend here) Don't just write foundation year off, because it really isn't "just A level" as many people claim. There are a lot of people on foundation year who missed medicine offers by one grade, they start the year contemplating why they took the offer, then by around November, they start crying due to the pressure of the work :wink: haha!

:redface:

After my interview, is there any way that I can ask them if I can start on the year 1 course instead? (if I am more "appropriate" for that). I would rather take a gap year that do the foundation year course.
Original post by Tinuviel
After my interview, is there any way that I can ask them if I can start on the year 1 course instead? (if I am more "appropriate" for that). I would rather take a gap year that do the foundation year course.

No they pick where you are placed, there's only 30-50 places in year one as a pose to 110 on foundation. They interview and place by scoring, so if you have AAAA you'll get a higher score in "grades" section than someone with CCC would, but it's also graded on experience, how well you communicate, scientific knowledge etc etc... I wouldn't just give up on foundation year, I'd at least give it some thought. It's a great basis for medicine and you do PBL, anatomy, lab and lab reporting, health systems, research reports, clinical visits and placement etc.. It's not just A level.

There are a lot of people in the year with the grades for medicine, but obviously it's your choice. A lot of people benefit from a gap year anyway :smile: x
Also, just seen you've posted elsewhere that you accidentally applied to foundation year, if you email them and let them know your intentions were for year one then they'll change it, but a lot of people who applied for foundation year got phone calls on results day to say they could enter at year one if they wished. It might be worth mentioning when you walk into your interview that your intentions were year one, but I have a feeling they ask anyway.. Because they break the ice asking "what you want to do with the course" .. Medicine, optom, mpharm, full course.. Just mention it :smile:
Reply 64
What do I need to bring with me to the interview? What is everyone else wearing?
I still have not heard anything from them. Is anyone in similar situation? Has anyone yet received rejections?
Reply 66
hey did receive your interview through ucas?
Reply 67
I heard that at the start of the interview they ask you, if your interested in taking this course as a gateway to Medicine or the taking this course for the full clinical Science course and if you say its for Medicine then they alter the interview questions suiting more for medicine, is this true?
I received an offer for an interview on this course today! :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by BackFromCydonia
I received an offer for an interview on this course today! :biggrin:

hey so did i :smile: is ur for 19th of march?
Reply 70
Original post by petraarifin
I still have not heard anything from them. Is anyone in similar situation? Has anyone yet received rejections?

Aside being registered with their application system, I haven't heard anything.
Original post by nrc95
Aside being registered with their application system, I haven't heard anything.

hi, I received an invitation for interview, so my waiting is over...and don'y worry, no news are still good news :smile:
Reply 72
hi, I received an invitation for interview, so my waiting is over...and don'y worry, no news are still good news :smile:

Still waiting to hear. What are your predicted grades ? Are you a 5th choice for Medicine ?
Original post by cutiemah
hey so did i :smile: is ur for 19th of march?

No, mine's for the 5th of March!
Original post by Kazzyv
Still waiting to hear. What are your predicted grades ? Are you a 5th choice for Medicine ?

My predicted grades are ABB...I had my 5th choice Midwifery but I was rejected after interview. This is my 4th choice tbh. What about you? What are your predicted grades? What about courses?

Tomorrow I have interview at King's for Medicine (extended pogram) so I am freaking out a bit because I wasn't successful at Midwifery interview. So you know it is quite depressing.
My predicted grades are ABB...I had my 5th choice Midwifery but I was rejected after interview. This is my 4th choice tbh. What about you? What are your predicted grades? What about courses?

Tomorrow I have interview at King's for Medicine (extended pogram) so I am freaking out a bit because I wasn't successful at Midwifery interview. So you know it is quite depressing.

Sorry to interject - I wouldn't worry about the medicine interview because you did bad with a Midwifery one! You clearly want to do medicine more, so your passion should come out from your personality when talking about medicine. If Midwifery isn't what you initially wanted to do, it's not going to show as much, hence perhaps not receiving a place! Same thing happened to me at my Nursing interview, despite me thinking I met their criteria in my answers! Just go for it tomorrow :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine!
Original post by BackFromCydonia
Sorry to interject - I wouldn't worry about the medicine interview because you did bad with a Midwifery one! You clearly want to do medicine more, so your passion should come out from your personality when talking about medicine. If Midwifery isn't what you initially wanted to do, it's not going to show as much, hence perhaps not receiving a place! Same thing happened to me at my Nursing interview, despite me thinking I met their criteria in my answers! Just go for it tomorrow :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine!

ouuu....that was very upbringing for my mind ))) thank you I feel much better now )))
Reply 77
ouuu....that was very upbringing for my mind ))) thank you I feel much better now )))

Good luck for the interview at Kings. My stats are predicted BBB so couldnt do medicine which I wanted. Applying for Bradford Clinical Science/ couple of Biomed/Medical Science at Brookes and Medical Science at University of S Wales.

Haha! Good luck for today! Go show them you're made for their course! :biggrin:
Reply 79
Hi, could someone please help me with the interview questions that may pop up? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending