The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Optometry at Huddersfield Q&A

Third year student here (from September)
I’ll try answer all questions I can!

Scroll to see replies

Hey can students get onto pre reg straight after 3rd year? Website says something about provisional GOC approval.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hey can students get onto pre reg straight after 3rd year? Website says something about provisional GOC approval.

Yep we can, the GOC visits over the last year have been good and the course leaders said we should have approval soon
Original post by Optomstudent256
Third year student here (from September)
I’ll try answer all questions I can!

How many people on your course did the SED (science extended degree)?
Original post by Aathira N
How many people on your course did the SED (science extended degree)?

My year (2020) was around 30 but 2021 was around 15-20
What are your favourite modules?
Original post by Optomstudent256
My year (2020) was around 30 but 2021 was around 15-20

Ah ok thank you, I have an offer for the SED, which is deferred entry for 2023, just wanted to know how competitive it was.
What are your favourite modules?

Through the two years, the clinical and professional skills modules, Abnormal ocular conditions, Ocular pharmacology but honestly they’re all pretty good!
Ah ok thank you, I have an offer for the SED, which is deferred entry for 2023, just wanted to know how competitive it was.

Good luck, the SED always has around 150-160+ students and everyone wants optometry or pharmacy 😬
Have you done the SED?If you have how was your experience doing the SED (like was it a lot more challenging A-level wise)? Also, was it helpful/useful for the optometry degree?
(edited 1 year ago)
Have you done the SED?If you have how was your experience doing the SED (like was it a lot more challenging A-level wise)?

Wasn’t difficult at all, was just A level stuff regurgitated. Might find some maths things a bit difficult if you haven’t done it but aside from that it’s easy
Was it useful/helpful for the optometry degree?
What are placements like?
Was it useful/helpful for the optometry degree?

Nope not a single bit, for me it was just a stepping stone to get onto optom
What are placements like?

There’s only one hospital placement but I haven’t had it yet, will have it during third year
Do you by chance know what's the job market like? I know the work is 9-5 most of the time, but how's the salary?
Did you have to do an interview before enrolling on the optometry course (whilst doing the SED)? If you did what kind of questions did they ask you?
Hi Guys I'm a second-year Optometry student from the University of Bradford, I was looking to tutor some students over the summer to help keep my knowledge fresh and benefit others. I am open to answering any questions anyone has.
:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Do you by chance know what's the job market like? I know the work is 9-5 most of the time, but how's the salary?

I’ve looked for a few cities and there’s always jobs available. Salary wise one of my friends got offered 45K after his pre reg. Another got offered 32K and then 42K the year after. Salary goes up but caps out at around 60-70. Can make way more doing locum work or specialized work
Did you have to do an interview before enrolling on the optometry course (whilst doing the SED)? If you did what kind of questions did they ask you?

I had to make a personal statement but there was no interview I was let straight on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending