The Student Room Group

I need advice please

I applied to medicine this year but got 4 rejections without interview. I wanted to reapply again and I resit my UCAT. I got 2810 Band 1.

But my A levels let me down, I got ABB. I am going to get bio remarked and hopefully it goes up to AAB. I will then resit maths. I got told to apply to foundation instead but that's surely way more competitive.

I got an offer for a transfer course for med where I have to obtain 70% in all assessments I believe in the first year then I can apply for 2 med unis. This is an option but I fear its way more competitive as others will want to do this too.

I just want advice because I really don't know what to do.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Emily_210567
I applied to medicine this year but got 4 rejections without interview. I wanted to reapply again and I resit my UCAT. I got 2810 Band 1.

But my A levels let me down, I got ABB but I was one mark away from an A for biology and 10ish for maths. I am going to get bio remarked and hopefully it goes up to AAB. I will then resit maths. I got told to apply to foundation instead but thats surely way more competitive.

I got an offer for a transfer course for med where I have to obtain 70% in all assessments I believe in the first year then I can apply for 2 med unis. This is an option but I fear its way more competitive as others will want to do this too.

@KA_P @_Rusty_ can help advise you here :grouphugs:

But my A levels let me down, I got ABB but I was one mark away from an A for biology and 10ish for maths. I am going to get bio remarked and hopefully it goes up to AAB. I will then resit maths. I got told to apply to foundation instead but thats surely way more competitive.

Hi there,
First of all, well done! That's an amazing UCAT!

For the foundation year course, I would check whether or not you would be eligible to apply. Yes, it's slightly more competitive than A100 but definitely check whether you're eligible to apply.

Could you provide a bit more information on the transfer course, such as which university and what course it is as well as whether you got this offer through clearing?

I'd like to also direct you to this thread, where you can post your stats and get some extra advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?&t=7312527
It is not guaranteed that remarking bio will result in an increase in the grade.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Although it's not guaranteed, it's something that can be discussed with the school on what's the best decision to make, and there is always the option to resit biology. Please don't give up, we're rooting for you!
Reply 5
Original post by KA_P
Hi there,
First of all, well done! That's an amazing UCAT!

For the foundation year course, I would check whether or not you would be eligible to apply. Yes, it's slightly more competitive than A100 but definitely check whether you're eligible to apply.

Could you provide a bit more information on the transfer course, such as which university and what course it is as well as whether you got this offer through clearing?

I'd like to also direct you to this thread, where you can post your stats and get some extra advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?&t=7312527

Thank you very much, its a foundation year in clinical sciences at Bradford uni. Then a transfer to Sheffield or Leeds depending on me actually achieving 70% and not failing any assessments. Even then I'd have to pass interviews. Yes, I got this offer through clearing.
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
It is not guaranteed that remarking bio will result in an increase in the grade.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Doesn't hurt to try right? Plus, I did AQA so the essay may be marked higher or lower. And 1 mark is worth looking for
Thank you very much, its a foundation year in clinical sciences at Bradford uni. Then a transfer to Sheffield or Leeds depending on me actually achieving 70% and not failing any assessments. Even then I'd have to pass interviews. Yes, I got this offer through clearing.

I'm not sure if this is the same course, but I discussed it with another applicant in a slightly similar position to you and this was thir response regarding the foundation year at Bradford university: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98719380&postcount=990

Doesn't hurt to try right? Plus, I did AQA so the essay may be marked higher or lower. And 1 mark is worth looking for

Exactly :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending