The Student Room Group

Bradford or Huddersfield?

Which uni is better in general and which one is better for pharmacy? I will be getting accommodation so have to take into account student life too
Original post by mtmo
Which uni is better in general and which one is better for pharmacy? I will be getting accommodation so have to take into account student life too

Hi @mtmo

My name is Aaliya, a fourth year Pharmacy student at the University of Huddersfield so I may be able to provide insight into the MPharm at Huddersfield.

Pharmacy is very hands on and the degree is just like this, it is very science and maths focused and if you like the two subjects, pharmacy is a great subject to study. You'll be able to combine the theory of science with developing and and applying practical and professional skills. You learn about all the different types of drugs and medications which patients take and the clinical knowledge around them. You take part in OSCEs which mirrors the role of a pharmacist and also have tutorials which look at communicating effectively with patients and other healthcare professionals. You also have the opportunity to have lab classes where you can make different formulations such as creams, pastes and syrups!

The modules we study in first year are:
Pharmacy Practice
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Human Physiology and Pathology
Formulation and Compounding of Medicines
Scientific Basis of Drug Action

You may want to visit: https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information!

The University of Huddersfield has a very modern campus and is a suitable size - it isn't too big or too small, which means you don't have to walk too much to get to different buildings. The building facilities are brilliant, for example, in the library we have access to lots of resources and textbooks which helps with essay writing. We also have iMacs which enhances our learning. The pharmacy staff are extremely welcoming and supportive and Huddersfield's gold rated TEF award shows that teaching at Huddersfield is of a high quality and standard.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by mtmo

Hey @mtmo :smile:

How are you?

It's great to hear you're interested in studying Pharmacy! Both our MPharm programmes here at Bradford are accredited by the GPhC, and the National Student Survey feedback from our students is outstanding.

Pharmacy at Bradford is also ranked 7th in the UK out of 31 Schools of Pharmacy according to the Guardian University League Table 2022 :smile:

The course is predominantly taught using an innovative and active learning method called Team-Based Learning, so in classes you will actively apply your knowledge to solve real-world pharmacy problems through team discussion and debate. Here at Bradford we've been teaching pharmacy since 1927, and are experts in preparing students for the world of clinical practice.

If you want to find out what it's really like to study Pharmacy here, you can chat directly to some of our current students here :smile:
You can also ask them about their student life experience here on campus and in the city!

Student life is also hugely important, Bradford is actually one of the largest cities in the UK, and a very exciting place to be a student - it's friendly, diverse and there's so much to do. If you're a movie lover, we are the world's first UNECO City of Film, we have plenty to offer the sporting mad including Bradford City Football Club and Bradford Bulls RLFC, and the countryside is right on our doorstep!

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be more than happy to help. Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.

Becky
Reply 3
Original post by mtmo

In my opinion who attended both uni’s open days and im currently doing biomed in Huddersfield, i would say Huddersfield > bradford.
Reply 4
There is no 'better' for Pharmacy - all degrees are accredited by the GPhC, they are all literally 'the same'.
The NHS is not going to ask 'which Uni' - and neither will your future patients/customers.

There is totally silly snobbery about 'doing Pharmacy at a better Uni' (ie. 'posh') - its all nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending