The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford: Clinical Sciences (Foundation Year) 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jkdavies17
Ah right! Yes I am hoping to transfer to medicine at Leeds 😊 I think most people will be wanting to if I'm honest. How about you? x

Yeah I am hoping to as well :smile: excited to start university :biggrin:
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Hiii,hopeful 2015 applicant here for the foundation course.I want to hopefully transfer to medicine at leeds!
How should I write my personal statement if I am applying to 4 biomed courses alongside??
Reply 162
Could anyone tell me whats the difference between clinical sciences and any other clinical research field like biomedical sciences?
Original post by zaha.k
Could anyone tell me whats the difference between clinical sciences and any other clinical research field like biomedical sciences?

Clinical Sciences combines scientific and laboratory techniques with inter-personal and professional development skills, for those wanting a career where they can use their science knowledge to help patients.

Biomedical Science is a more lab-focused course that looks at the biology of disease, providing an understanding of the causes and effects of human disease, the methods used in the study of human diseases and current and experimental treatments.

Hope you find this information helpful and if you need any additional assistance do let me know.
Hi everyone,I have just created a Facebook group for Bradford Clinical Sciences(medicine Foundation)Offer holders 2015(type this exactly in the search engine to find the group).
Please go on Facebook and join the group so we can get to know each other before starting the course in September.
Thanks
Hi guys I can see your all finished your foundation year and going on to the first year/ transferring to medicine in Leeds.

I have. Place on this course and I'm starting my foundation year in September, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what content from A level biology and Chemistry is revisited in the foundation year? Is it both organic and physical chemistry ( titration calculations/ enthalpy/ entropy/ KC, KP ?) and only the human side of biology ? Thanks :smile:
Original post by ghost_rebel
Hiii,hopeful 2015 applicant here for the foundation course.I want to hopefully transfer to medicine at leeds!
How should I write my personal statement if I am applying to 4 biomed courses alongside??

If you apply to any course during UCAS, you cannot apply for Leeds transfer if you firm anything. So basically some people applied via UCAS and if they werent on track for the grades by May, firmed something and if they were, they didn't firm it. One girl in my year declined her offer via UCAS for another course, didn't get into Leeds so rang up that course and got onto the other course.Leeds want to see dedication to medicine.

Original post by zaha.k

Clinical sciences is more orientated towards medicine- theres less lab work than biomedical sciences and there is a module of anatomy etc.

Original post by adamgcs95
Hi guys I can see your all finished your foundation year and going on to the first year/ transferring to medicine in Leeds.
I have. Place on this course and I'm starting my foundation year in September, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what content from A level biology and Chemistry is revisited in the foundation year? Is it both organic and physical chemistry ( titration calculations/ enthalpy/ entropy/ KC, KP ?) and only the human side of biology ? Thanks :smile:

Chemistry is alot like A-level - atoms, isotopes, moles and then enthalpy change, the calculation part of A2 etc. I wouldn't worry about revising over summer, theres not much content for chemistry and you have PLENTY of time to learn and revise it in the term. Its all about revision technique and keeping up with the work there. Make sure you enjoy your summer- you'll need the break before as the course is pretty much a rollecoaster from sept until may. Biology is different to A-level if you ask me. I would strongly recommend tortora textbooks when you start. Term 1 was mostly A-level with extra details for the chapters and term 2 is more medicine focused. Personally, I have no regrets about clin sci- best year of my life and I did things I never thought I could and your time management will improve vastly. However, I feel like the lecture work load didn't prepare me at all - we had 30 chemistry lectures and 30 biology in the whole year. At leeds we had around 66 in the first term alone for medical sciences and 90-100 for body systems in term 2. Besides that, I feel as though bradford definitely gave me a head start especially for the research essays and portfolio and study techniques.

Original post by mariagoretti
Hi everyone,I have just created a Facebook group for Bradford Clinical Sciences(medicine Foundation)Offer holders 2015(type this exactly in the search engine to find the group).
Please go on Facebook and join the group so we can get to know each other before starting the course in September.
Thanks

perhaps post the link. I think its a private group- afew of transfers would be happy to join for advice tips etc
Original post by derma2019
If you apply to any course during UCAS, you cannot apply for Leeds transfer if you firm anything. So basically some people applied via UCAS and if they werent on track for the grades by May, firmed something and if they were, they didn't firm it. One girl in my year declined her offer via UCAS for another course, didn't get into Leeds so rang up that course and got onto the other course.Leeds want to see dedication to medicine.

Clinical sciences is more orientated towards medicine- theres less lab work than biomedical sciences and there is a module of anatomy etc.

Chemistry is alot like A-level - atoms, isotopes, moles and then enthalpy change, the calculation part of A2 etc. I wouldn't worry about revising over summer, theres not much content for chemistry and you have PLENTY of time to learn and revise it in the term. Its all about revision technique and keeping up with the work there. Make sure you enjoy your summer- you'll need the break before as the course is pretty much a rollecoaster from sept until may. Biology is different to A-level if you ask me. I would strongly recommend tortora textbooks when you start. Term 1 was mostly A-level with extra details for the chapters and term 2 is more medicine focused. Personally, I have no regrets about clin sci- best year of my life and I did things I never thought I could and your time management will improve vastly. However, I feel like the lecture work load didn't prepare me at all - we had 30 chemistry lectures and 30 biology in the whole year. At leeds we had around 66 in the first term alone for medical sciences and 90-100 for body systems in term 2. Besides that, I feel as though bradford definitely gave me a head start especially for the research essays and portfolio and study techniques.

perhaps post the link. I think its a private group- afew of transfers would be happy to join for advice tips etc

Here's the link to the Facebook group;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1651942978386192/.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another thing I forgot to add, but you're welcome to mention....clinical sciences is NOT a competition. I got thrown off in freshers but the number of people interested in Leeds, but work at your own pace and in a way that suits you. Don't compare yourself to others as well. I only just got 71% in chem :redface: was very lucky, but I really did ace some of my assingmnets whereas some of my friends really aced their exams with 85% but then got lower in assignments. As long as you meet that 70% OVERALL and in chemistry you're just as good as anyone else. Most peoples weakest is special studies.
Dont forget to maintain hobbies!
Its not like school, where the grade boundaries are altered on everyones performance-none of the UMS business like with A-levels. Until you get 70% you're not in competition with anyone but yourself. Secondly, at interview, all those who meet the minimum threshold are invited to interview based on PS, again there is no cap on this. My year 24 people were interviewed, year 1 around 45 were interviewed and the foundation year cohort before my year around 30-32 were interviewed. Loads of best friends transfer across and if im being honest, my peers were my best source of help and advice. Loved my year group! The number of times, I managed to learn something from someone else or they reminded me of something I totally forgot for an assignment and vice versa.
Original post by derma2019
Another thing I forgot to add, but you're welcome to mention....clinical sciences is NOT a competition. I got thrown off in freshers but the number of people interested in Leeds, but work at your own pace and in a way that suits you. Don't compare yourself to others as well. I only just got 71% in chem :redface: was very lucky, but I really did ace some of my assingmnets whereas some of my friends really aced their exams with 85% but then got lower in assignments. As long as you meet that 70% OVERALL and in chemistry you're just as good as anyone else. Most peoples weakest is special studies.
Dont forget to maintain hobbies!
Its not like school, where the grade boundaries are altered on everyones performance-none of the UMS business like with A-levels. Until you get 70% you're not in competition with anyone but yourself. Secondly, at interview, all those who meet the minimum threshold are invited to interview based on PS, again there is no cap on this. My year 24 people were interviewed, year 1 around 45 were interviewed and the foundation year cohort before my year around 30-32 were interviewed. Loads of best friends transfer across and if im being honest, my peers were my best source of help and advice. Loved my year group! The number of times, I managed to learn something from someone else or they reminded me of something I totally forgot for an assignment and vice versa.

Thanks very much.You are a star x I hope you don't mind me sharing your post on our FB page?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks very much.You are a star x I hope you don't mind me sharing your post on our FB page?

Posted from TSR Mobile

go for it!
I have a question, can you apply for transfer to a medical school which accepts our foundation year through ucas (such as Brighton and Sussex) and then if unsuccessful, are we still able to apply to transfer to Leeds through bradford ?
I have a question, can you apply for transfer to a medical school which accepts our foundation year through ucas (such as Brighton and Sussex) and then if unsuccessful, are we still able to apply to transfer to Leeds through bradford ?

I've already responded to you in another thread but thought it worth while responding to you here as well in case other students here have a similar query.

When students apply to transfer to Leeds, they do so directly and not via UCAS. Students can also submit an application to other universities via UCAS if they so wish, although we cannot provide a reference if it is for courses like medicine where the deadline is the 15th October. Also please bear in mind Leeds will not accept transfer applications from any students who hold offers for other medical schools in UCAS.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.
hello everyone, I kind of need advice. I applied for e foundation year clinical science but then my parents threw a fuss that they didn't want me going to Bradford. as a result of being pressurised, I declined their offer. Now I have decided that I would really like to go for this course after reading all of your comments. Do you think there is a chance that Bradford will accept me again?
Your best chance is contact Dr Debbie Quirke (admissions tutor) and explain your situation. The email for Dr Quirke is [email protected] hope you manage to regain your offer.
Your best chance is contact Dr Debbie Quirke (admissions tutor) and explain your situation. The email for Dr Quirke is [email protected] hope you manage to regain your offer.

Thank you so much, I really hope she does. I desperately want to be able to gain an offer on this course.
Reply 177
Hi, what medical schools did the other students apply to ?

Original post by katyness
Because it also depends on your clinical experience.

You don't apply through UCAS once you get in because Bradford has an internal connection with the university.
You can do your applications while you're in uni but if you're accepted then obviously you're not considered to a transfer.

When I was doing the Foundation year a lot of students applied to first year of med school to other places and got in :smile:

Original post by katyness
Because it also depends on your clinical experience.

You don't apply through UCAS once you get in because Bradford has an internal connection with the university.
You can do your applications while you're in uni but if you're accepted then obviously you're not considered to a transfer.

When I was doing the Foundation year a lot of students applied to first year of med school to other places and got in :smile:
Hi all anyone who did has recently done the foundation, could you mail me with the books your felt worthy to buy? Thank you
Original post by Jess.Berry
Hi all anyone who did has recently done the foundation, could you mail me with the books your felt worthy to buy? Thank you

Hi

Are you joining us this September?

If you would like further information regarding the reading list for this course, please see here

Thanks

Joe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending