The Student Room Group

Will I be expected to be involved in vivisection if I do a bioscience degree?

Hi,

I'm new here and have a lot of other stuff to sort out before I know if I can go to uni but that's for another thread.

I am really interested in evolution and genetics and am yearning to study these topics (currently looking at courses in Zoology, Genetics and Molecular Biology) but I'm wondering if animal experimentation is going to be part and parcel of it. I understand the nature of these topics means that living organisms will be involved but I could not ever kill or harm a sentient animal.

I thought it was very likely that people on here may be studying one of these courses and could let me know what they have found to be the case. I will ask the universities I am interested in directly but in my experience unis are (understandably) cagey about the subject.

Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, no you won't. However, you may wish to check with the admissions team for each course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not vivisection as such but you may be involved with dissections of anything from frogs to seals.

You may have to kill animals as part of your course. I know that those doing the entomology modules are required to kill the insects they collect for the purposes of identification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending