The Student Room Group

Accreditation

Hi all,

I have a question about degree accreditation. I am planning to study one of Biology related courses at the University of Manchester and none of their courses is accredited. Is that a really bad thing and is that going to have a negative effect on my future studies/employment?
Reply 1
If I'm not mistaken, all of the undergraduate biosciences courses at Manchester have advanced accreditations from the royal society of biology. I hope this helps!
Reply 2
If I'm not mistaken, all of the undergraduate biosciences courses at Manchester have advanced accreditations from the royal society of biology. I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Nope none of them is. I’ve checked.
Reply 4
Sorry, you're right to some extent. To correct myself: the course I have an offer for is an integrated masters, which is in fact accredited. If you were to also pursue one of the BSc biosciences courses available, alongside their languages/entrepreneurship/year in industry, it is then considered to be an advanced accredited course too. Here's a link I've found which will direct you to all the accredited courses by the royal society of biology https://www.rsb.org.uk/education/accreditation/institutions
Reply 5
I'm not qualified at all to comment on whether a lack of accreditation has a negative impact on career prospects, however I looked into some of the leading biosciences courses at arguably the best institutions in the UK. Interestingly, universities such as Imperial and Oxford do not have accredited biology courses. Hence, I suppose we can assume that accreditation potentially doesn't matter as much as we are led to believe?
Reply 6
Original post by foxtm
Sorry, you're right to some extent. To correct myself: the course I have an offer for is an integrated masters, which is in fact accredited. If you were to also pursue one of the BSc biosciences courses available, alongside their languages/entrepreneurship/year in industry, it is then considered to be an advanced accredited course too. Here's a link I've found which will direct you to all the accredited courses by the royal society of biology https://www.rsb.org.uk/education/accreditation/institutions

Yes, I understand what you’re saying but I’m talking only about 3-year degree without any Master’s, Professional placement year or entrepreneurship etc. If I do a BSc (Hons) Biology degree at UoM without any accreditation, would they have a negative effect on my future studies/employment?
Reply 7
Original post by Hazsfc
Yes, I understand what you’re saying but I’m talking only about 3-year degree without any Master’s, Professional placement year or entrepreneurship etc. If I do a BSc (Hons) Biology degree at UoM without any accreditation, would they have a negative effect on my future studies/employment?

I'm not qualified at all to comment on whether a lack of accreditation has a negative impact on career prospects, however I looked into some of the leading biosciences courses at arguably the best institutions in the UK. Interestingly, universities such as Imperial and Oxford do not have accredited biology courses. Hence, I suppose we can assume that accreditation potentially doesn't matter as much as we are led to believe?
Reply 8
Hi again, just found this recent thread too. I know you’re not looking to pursue maths/cs but I think the point still stands. Really, at the end of the day, if the modules available via Manchester excite/interest you compared to other courses you have received an offer for, I’d say go for it regardless of whether the course is accredited.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7268106
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by foxtm
Hi again, just found this recent thread too. I know you’re not looking to pursue maths/cs but I think the point still stands. Really, at the end of the day, if the modules available via Manchester excite/interest you compared to other courses you have received and offer for, I’d say go for it regardless of whether the course is accredited.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7268106

Cheers! So unaccredited course wouldn't affect my future career? Like tbh, I did do some research but I can't understand what difference does it make to have an accredited degree instead of unaccredited? What're the benefits of it, could you advice on that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending