The Student Room Group

DSA internet allowance, printing allowance, taxi allowance and extended library loans

Just wondering how these work. I'm entitled to all 4 of them but I'm not sure how to make a claim/inform the uni libraries of my need for extended loans. I did mention them in an email to my disability advisor but she didn't give me the info I needed.
Internet allowance - I just submitted a print off of my internet contract at the end of the year.
Taxis are a pain. You have to claim the difference between the taxi fare and the bus fare.
Printing allowance - just get receipts of any printing done at uni.
Reply 2
With the extended loans the disability adviser at your uni should arrange it. However, if they don't, just ask a member of the library staff what you need to do to get it. You certainly won't be their first!

With my internet I had to pay my whole contract up front so just submitted the invoice when I received it a couple of weeks ago.

Printing costs you just get receipts of any top ups of your account you do and submit those whenever you want - depending how much you print can be weekly, monthly, trimly, yearly. Whenever.

Minicabs bit more complicated as it's the difference between public transport and your taxi fare as has already been said. However, again, can be submitted as often as you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
General allowance limits for each individual item should be listed in your DSA assessment of needs report. SFE seem to lump them all in together, and in some cases aren't bothered about the individual limits but just the limit as a whole.

Your disability adviser should set-up library loan extensions but as said above just ask the librarian, take a copy of your report if necessary.

SFE will only pay minimum of £10 claims so gather receipts/ proof together- keep copies and then send them in to SFE together with the form required (you can find copies here: http://www.yourdsa.com/payment/reimbursement/)

Travel will only be reimbursed if agreed and only to to the set amount detailed in your notification letter. The assessor should have already worked out the cost of a taxi minus public transport, days per week and mileage etc. to arrive at a figure and shown this in your report too.
That last bit didn't happen in my report. I just got a set amount to claim with instructions to take the cost of public transport off the cost of a taxi.
Reply 5
Then technically they shouldn't have accepted the report. The guidelines state that assessors are required to clearly indicate the total cost being recommended, and cost of public transport being deducted. I spend a lot of time on the phone to bus and taxi companies finding out average costs (I ring 3x per students to get an average) and then show all the working out in the report. If we don't do this SFE knock the recommendation back requesting further info.As usual thought with SFE it seems to be a lottery as to who you get reviewing your report.

Quick Reply

Latest