Original post by Rishi171
Wow, I actually found someone else who's interested in oncology :biggrin:

Yaaayyy!
Where have you applied :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by prafto
Yaaayyy!
Where have you applied :smile:

Edinburgh, Imperial, Sheffield and Newcastle, you?
Reply 382
Edinburgh, Imperial, Sheffield and Newcastle, you?

Cambridge (shudder *BMAT* shudder) Manchester, Aberdeen, Edinburgh :smile:
Original post by prafto

The BMAT was soooooo bad!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
Original post by prafto

This year's BMAT scores will probably be based on who got lucky with their guesses and who didn't, which is what really disappoints me

Have you had a response from your fifth yet?
Reply 385
This year's BMAT scores will probably be based on who got lucky with their guesses and who didn't, which is what really disappoints me

Have you had a response from your fifth yet?

yeah, offer for biomed at Manch, wbu?
Reply 386
Original post by prafto
yeah, offer for biomed at Manch, wbu?

Offer from Biomed at Nottingham ^.^
Original post by Dr. Django
Oncology would be so rewarding, but also probably one of the most emotionally taxing specialities :/ It'd certainly be tough!!

I can't wait to try a load of them to be honest *touches wood*

I think whatever specialty you go in it'll be emotionally tough at some point, like for example, if you go into paediatrics (which I would love to try) you'll probably see a few cases of child abuse. We had a lecture from a paediatrician and he said he's seen some horrible stuff :frown: but it'll be mostly rewarding of course! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrumChops
What medical/surgical field interests you guys the most?

Cardiac surgery and neonatoloy :biggrin:

Paediatrics! And Psychiatry, and also Child and Adolescent Psychiatry haha! So many different specialities... All so interesting :biggrin:
Original post by qwertyuiopas
Paediatrics! And Psychiatry, and also Child and Adolescent Psychiatry haha! So many different specialities... All so interesting :biggrin:

Those are probably my 2 favourite fields thus far! (not that I've seen many :tongue:)

Psychiatry looks awesome :O it is so so so interesting, I really want to visit Broadmoor
Original post by ribbonrebel31

I did some work experience at a neonatal unit.

I really did not enjoy it. Emotional parents, and their small babies. Babies were so tiny I was terrified

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by letsbehonest
I did some work experience at a neonatal unit.

I really did not enjoy it. Emotional parents, and their small babies. Babies were so tiny I was terrified

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been working on a similar unit for the past month. (during my GAP year). It comes to a stage where seeing crying parents and hearing about dying children becomes routine, and you will learn how to keep your emotions separate from your caring work, as they can make you susceptible and exposed to detrimental errors. You get "used" to it after a while, but it was certainly a shock when I saw a dead patient for the very first time.

Inevitably comes the question of determining if doctors should be allowed to become emotionally attached to their patients? This might be an interview question! :awesome:
Reply 393

Ophthalmology and Plastics interest me the most as I would love a surgical job and on my work experience I managed to see operations of both of these types. I'm not sure if I could deal with the pressure of more life-threatening forms of surgery (such as cardiology and neurology). My mind changes all the time though, which is why Medicine is such a great course. We get five years to choose which field interests us the most and there are so many different specialities!
Original post by Dr. Django
Those are probably my 2 favourite fields thus far! (not that I've seen many :tongue:)

Psychiatry looks awesome :O it is so so so interesting, I really want to visit Broadmoor

And mine! Haha :tongue:
It does look soooo interesting doesn't it! Same! I always watch documentaries on it haha. Also the new programme on channel 4 called Bedlam is really interesting!
Original post by Tinuviel
Ophthalmology and Plastics interest me the most as I would love a surgical job and on my work experience I managed to see operations of both of these types. I'm not sure if I could deal with the pressure of more life-threatening forms of surgery (such as cardiology and neurology). My mind changes all the time though, which is why Medicine is such a great course. We get five years to choose which field interests us the most and there are so many different specialities!

Cardiology and neurology are medical specialties :smile:
Original post by ribbonrebel31

Being on the neontatology ward on work experience was such a unique experience! Defo look forward to working in this field at some point.

Original post by Tinuviel

Yeah five years is hopefully enough of time to settle on the speciality to pursue. Plastics sounds great, but most interesting surgical field for me is orthopaedics, at this point though I can't tell if surgery will be right for me. Rightly as you've said, the five year course will hopefully guide us through the limitless selection haha. Personally I'm between psychiatry, neurology and oncology :smile: Just need to try them out!

Paediatrics is simply a challenge to relish, it's so different to the rest of medicine. Psychiatry is emotionally tough but if you love the brain like I do then yup it is interesting. This is why medicine beats dentistry ha
Paediatrics is simply a challenge to relish, it's so different to the rest of medicine. Psychiatry is emotionally tough but if you love the brain like I do then yup it is interesting. This is why medicine beats dentistry ha

Exactly! Totally agree with everything you said :tongue:
And mine! Haha :tongue:
It does look soooo interesting doesn't it! Same! I always watch documentaries on it haha. Also the new programme on channel 4 called Bedlam is really interesting!

It's so awesome! I'll have to check that out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending