The Student Room Group

Current Year 13 Hopeful Medics - Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisntbobk
How can you say that? But I agree with that last part, its been such a hassle this year so far

Well obviously I don't know 100%...but what would be the point in saying I think we won't get in and being all pessimistic :tongue:?

Optimism is the way forward :wink: We're still 50+ days away from the chemistry exams, a lot can change from now till then.
Original post by joeymr
Remind me again why I chose to take maths? :confused:

Because you love it and you enjoy past papers more than life itself :tongue: MAths A2 is so much harder than AS, that tricked me into thinking maths was ok -_-

I envy your aptitude for chemistry, I feel like such a dumb mother****er in lessons as everyone around me seems to get it and for me it just doesn't 'click'! Took about 5 x the effort last year as the others and I still only scraped an A xD Hoping for miracles
Reply 1582
Original post by Dr. Django
Because you love it and you enjoy past papers more than life itself :tongue: MAths A2 is so much harder than AS, that tricked me into thinking maths was ok -_-

I envy your aptitude for chemistry, I feel like such a dumb mother****er in lessons as everyone around me seems to get it and for me it just doesn't 'click'! Took about 5 x the effort last year as the others and I still only scraped an A xD Hoping for miracles

You've hit the nail on the head right there. I am planning on burning every past paper in my room when I'm finally finished with maths! Never want to see one again :wink:

I dunno, chemistry just seems to click for me (thank god!) :smile: don't get me wrong, I have to do a **** load of work for it, just not as much as for bio/maths :s-smilie: I'm sure you'll do fine, only 2ish months left of it! :biggrin:
Original post by joeymr
You've hit the nail on the head right there. I am planning on burning every past paper in my room when I'm finally finished with maths! Never want to see one again :wink:

I dunno, chemistry just seems to click for me (thank god!) :smile: don't get me wrong, I have to do a **** load of work for it, just not as much as for bio/maths :s-smilie: I'm sure you'll do fine, only 2ish months left of it! :biggrin:

Thats what I keep telling myself, not long left now!! For me its the other way round and bio/maths take a lot less effort...(I hope)!! Good luck with your interview by the way, crazy that they've left you this bloody late!
Reply 1584
Thats what I keep telling myself, not long left now!! For me its the other way round and bio/maths take a lot less effort...(I hope)!! Good luck with your interview by the way, crazy that they've left you this bloody late!

Haha! Cheers mate, its ridiculously late though. Probably because its the first year that they've done interviews so they're still getting used to the system or something :s-smilie: but yeah, not horrendously bothered though cus they're not gonna be my firm, would just be nice to have another offer to have as an insurance (even though they're both AAA)
Original post by joeymr
Haha thats happening to me right now :colondollar: Had a C4 mock this morning was **** so thought I'd better have another practice now. Determined to finish the paper tonight! :smile:

Mocks never go well! Liking your determination, I've given up for today :tongue:
Original post by joeymr
My C3 is almost as bad as my C4 :colondollar: I definitely agree with you there!

Only thing encouraging me is the fact thaf after this, I'll never have to do as much maths (I know its not true but its a nice thought)
Well obviously I don't know 100%...but what would be the point in saying I think we won't get in and being all pessimistic :tongue:?

Optimism is the way forward :wink: We're still 50+ days away from the chemistry exams, a lot can change from now till then.

I was talking about the chemistry bit :tongue: optimism is definitely one of the ways forward :wink: yeah there's still time. Not looking forward to my mock result tbh
For the 1000 pounds grant is that for all years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RadioheadHermie
For the 1000 pounds grant is that for all years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure it's just 5th year I'm afraid. It explains it on the website :smile:
Reply 1589
Original post by Flobie
Pretty sure it's just 5th year I'm afraid. It explains it on the website :smile:

I'm in the middle of applying for student finance, would you please post the link about the grant. :smile:
Original post by 0612
I'm in the middle of applying for student finance, would you please post the link about the grant. :smile:

https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/eligibility
"You will be eligible after the 4th year of your course" for the bursary. All the info is on there :smile:
Reply 1591
Original post by Flobie
https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/eligibility
"You will be eligible after the 4th year of your course" for the bursary. All the info is on there :smile:

Great thanks :smile:
Original post by Flobie

Sigh being hopeful I guess :frown: looking at my maintenance loan and the price of St Andrews accommodation I have no idea how im going to make ends meet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sigh being hopeful I guess :frown: looking at my maintenance loan and the price of St Andrews accommodation I have no idea how im going to make ends meet

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know how you feel, I'm going to be living in London :tongue: you could get a job or ask for support from your parents?
Reply 1594
Original post by Flobie
I know how you feel, I'm going to be living in London :tongue: you could get a job or ask for support from your parents?

I don't want to rely on my parents though.. I don't see why they don't just give larger maintenance loans :confused:
Original post by KanKan
I don't want to rely on my parents though.. I don't see why they don't just give larger maintenance loans :confused:

Because the economy's gone to **** and the government hasn't got much cash. If students got bigger loans, it's just money that's never gonna be repaid, since most people never fully pay off their student loan. If your parents earn enough that your maintenance loan is small, they're probably gonna have enough to help support you through your studies.
Original post by MrSupernova
Because the economy's gone to **** and the government hasn't got much cash. If students got bigger loans, it's just money that's never gonna be repaid, since most people never fully pay off their student loan. If your parents earn enough that your maintenance loan is small, they're probably gonna have enough to help support you through your studies.

Me and my brother AND my sister, that's alot of money and the threshold to receive the minimum is low to fund 3 people at uni. St Andrews basically has no jobs either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me and my brother AND my sister, that's alot of money and the threshold to receive the minimum is low to fund 3 people at uni. St Andrews basically has no jobs either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's one of the pitfalls of having 3 children in such a close age range, sorry to sound like a Chinese government official haha. Can't you get a job in your hometown in the holidays? In the pre-clinical years you'll have 4-5 months off uni... St Andrew's accommadation is ridiculously expensive though I agree, nearly twice as much as at Newcastle and, amazingly, Oxford, despite it having a reputation as a ridiculously expensive place to live

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could work in a bar, the student union, etc. I know that's not much help but I'm no expert! Why don't you try going on the St Andrews 2013 entry thread to see if anyone there was in your situation?
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't SFE take into account older siblings at uni, and give you a bigger loan? There should be a space on the application form to fill in details of any siblings in higher education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending