The Student Room Group

Oil will run out this century

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dragonfly07
OP, your outlook on life is very bleak. Even if we run out of oil why do you think we'll just plummet into chaos? We still have electricity. I cant even think of anything we use oil for other than for transport.

http://www.eccos.us/what-is-oil-used-for

Transportation Fuels (Gasoline, Diesel, Jet Fuel)

Asphalt

Fertilizer

Heating

Feedstock

Petrochemicals

Plastics

Polyurethanes

Solvents

Electrical generation

Reply 61
Original post by Dragonfly07
OP, your outlook on life is very bleak. Even if we run out of oil why do you think we'll just plummet into chaos? We still have electricity. I cant even think of anything we use oil for other than for transport.

What do you think fuels electricity? Electricity isn't an energy source.

Oil is everything, currently.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
Then we need to start using less of it, for example, by using less technology and actually getting off our arses and doing things manually.

Stop being lazy, come over here and say that to my face :tongue:
Original post by So Instinct
Stop being lazy, come over here and say that to my face :tongue:

:s-smilie: Hmm?
:s-smilie: Hmm?

The gist of your post was to stop using tech and getting of our asses to do things manually..
So...
The gist of your post was to stop using tech and getting of our asses to do things manually..
So...

You'll have to tell me where you live first, then :hubba:
You'll have to tell me where you live first, then :hubba:

Easy girl. Lets not ruin the mystery :wink:

If you're eager I'm in a Nintendo Cartridge. I'll be waiting for you to come play me :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
****ing hell, that got sleazy quickly
Easy girl. Lets not ruin the mystery :wink:

If you're eager I'm in a Nintendo Cartridge. I'll be waiting for you to come play me :yy:

Well then, how am I supposed to tell you manually? :huff:

Hmmpf.
Original post by Steezy
****ing hell, that got sleazy quickly

Hmm?
Reply 70
Well then, how am I supposed to tell you manually? :huff:

Hmmpf.

Can you give this guy a virtual blowjob elsewhere please? This is about oil. Not lonely people.
Original post by Steezy
Can you give this guy a virtual blowjob elsewhere please? This is about oil. Not lonely people.

:confused: What the!! Who said anything about a 'virtual blowjob'!
Reply 72
Original post by Aj12
Would't mind seeing some proper up to date papers on how much oil is actually left. I can remember seeing text books in school that said oil would have run out by 2030. Is it actually confirmed we have hit peak oil?

No one particularly knows but I doubt we will hit the peak for a few decades never mind run out, the date we will "run out" at is continuously pushed back as new fields are discovered and techniques created for extracting from what were previously un-economical sites and what is left in what were otherwise dead wells.
Original post by Steezy

Its kinda rude to interrupt an intimate conversation you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lmr95
Oil won't run out this century, and neither will coal, natural gas etc. New fossil fuel reserves are being discovered all the time, as well as new technologies being developed to exploit reserves that were previously unusable.

The issue is that just because they're there, it doesn't mean we should use them. We could go on relying on fossil fuels for centuries to come, but by then we will have changed the world to a point where life as we know it will have changed beyond any chance of reverse. (I won't go into the whole climate change scenario, I think most people know it by now).

That's why not much annoys me more than people who object to switching to renewables now - a common argument is that it can be done in 50 years, basically making it the next generation's problem to deal with. Most of these people understand that it will have to be done at some stage, so why not sooner, to make the damage done as little as possible? At some point we'll have to put up 'unsightly' wind farms, invest in renewables, and deal with the slight, short-lived downturn in individual nation's economies that this may or not cause - does it not make sense to do it now?

Let me answer this through the medium of song.

"Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that goo-goo-good bull****
I'm in the hi-fidelity
First class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet"

Pretty much sums it up.
:confused: What the!! Who said anything about a 'virtual blowjob'!

You were almost led into the woods by the strange sweaty man with chocolate. Think again.
Original post by Moosferatu
You were almost led into the woods by the strange sweaty man with chocolate. Think again.

:lolwut: I wasn't!! :hmpf:
Reply 77
Original post by tengentoppa
Overpopulation seems to be the root of the problem. If we executed everyone in China and India we could significantly reduce the earth's population. Of course it's impractical, but conceptually I feel the idea has some merit.

So genocide is the answer then yeah? Why are they the ones who have to die and not you and me?
Original post by Dr Pesto
So genocide is the answer then yeah? Why are they the ones who have to die and not you and me?

Genocide is probably going to be the answer. Who should go, that's the question of the future.
Original post by tengentoppa
Overpopulation seems to be the root of the problem. If we executed everyone in China and India we could significantly reduce the earth's population. Of course it's impractical, but conceptually I feel the idea has some merit.

That includes you, I imagine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending