The Student Room Group

20 starting uni/please help.

Hi, my name is Kate, and I'm currently resitting some A Level modules which means I won't likely be starting Uni until I'm 20. This severely disheartens me as I'm being made to feel that I haven't gone about things the 'correct' way and I'm having major concerns. For example, if I enter Uni at 20, will all my flatmates in my hall of residence predominanently be 18? Or not? Will I stick out with them as I'm older or do 20 year old's live in Halls too? Will I enjoy Freshers or will they all be 18? I'm sorry if this thread sounds ridiculous, but this is seriously worrying me and any advice/information from current Uni students would be seriously appreciated! Thankyou so much.

Scroll to see replies

i went at 20, most are 18-21 and you hardly notice the difference.

life isn't a race... it's a ride. enjoy it.
Reply 2
Original post by wolfiemegan
Hi, my name is Kate, and I'm currently resitting some A Level modules which means I won't likely be starting Uni until I'm 20. This severely disheartens me as I'm being made to feel that I haven't gone about things the 'correct' way and I'm having major concerns. For example, if I enter Uni at 20, will all my flatmates in my hall of residence predominanently be 18? Or not? Will I stick out with them as I'm older or do 20 year old's live in Halls too? Will I enjoy Freshers or will they all be 18? I'm sorry if this thread sounds ridiculous, but this is seriously worrying me and any advice/information from current Uni students would be seriously appreciated! Thankyou so much.

Do you feel much different to people aged 18? I don't see how there can be an issue with a 2 year age difference....
You won't notice that much difference in age - it simply doesn't matter like it does when you're at school. You'll find that quite a few people will have taken gap years (so will be 19), some will have taken two gap years (so will be 20), and some will have been doing other things for a while and could be any age - I met someone recently who had left the army to go to uni. You'll also find that individuals have differing levels of maturity regardless of age, which also has an impact.

I went at 18 to university. Two of my closest university friends are 28 and 26. My best friend is currently at college, she's 20. My boyfriend's best friend is about 27 and he's just finished college. You'll find that many people at university are in their 20's. Don't worry! :smile:

I went at 21 and everyone I met was around the same age at 20 you'll probably find your one of the younger ones there and yes you can get halls if you want (I did) don't worry at 20 you'll be fine
I went just as I was turning 20. It turned out most of my flat mates had taken gap years or went to work before uni, so I wasn't the oldest there. I have a good friend at uni who is 7 years older than me and we get on really well. There is no 'correct' way to go about getting a degree. People study at all ages! Age gaps aren't as obvious when you are talking about a few years in uni terms, maturity will play a bigger role (e.g. some older students may be less mature than those at 18)
I am going to uni next october and I will be 20. I took a year after gcse working and a year after a levels. I do sometimes find myself worrying how all ny current friends will be nearly graduating by the time I go to uni, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I saw the true hard fact that I really need a uni degree in life and my particular career path that I have chosen.

With regards to younger students at uni...I actually am looking forward to it as I love and are majorly friends with a lot of yourgsters. (Oops didnt mean to sound so pervy)
Anyway dont worry, lots of people will be 20 or over

Hooe this helps
Reply 8
it's strange because i'm an 18 year-old fresher and all of my flatmates are 19/20. i doubt you'll notice the difference at all. good luck!
Reply 9

In the same position!

Don't think it'll make much of a difference at Uni. people tend to ask me about it a lot at College though!
Reply 10
Im starting next year and i'l be 22, i haven't got any worries. Im looking forward to it and im glad i made the decision to go back and study.
Reply 11
I'm 18 but I live with a 19 year old, 20 year old and a 24 year old. I think absolutely nothing of it and forget they're older than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll be fine, and you wont be that unusual.

People go to Uni right up to and including retirement. And once you get there you'll see that age isnt used as a big marker anyway - you'll just be 'Kate' (who happens to be 20 - but who cares).
Reply 13
I started a year 'behind' at uni, sometimes felt a bit older than my flatmates (mostly because they were immature pricks), but it wasn't an issue. There's plenty of older people in freshers, like one of my best mates was in his mid twenties, and we had an 80 year old dude starting our course, I **** you not!
Reply 14

There is barely any difference. We have hall mates that took a gap year and are 20 and they are exactly the same as everyone else.
Reply 15
You won't notice any difference between yourself and people a couple of years younger than you, but you will probably find most people you meet will be 18 or 19. I started uni when I was 21 (I'm now in 2nd year & 22), I only know 1 other person who's actually older than me and most of my friends are 19-20, but I really don't notice the age difference at all. There's no reason you can't enjoy freshers/uni life in general just because you'll be a tiny bit older.

Yes you'll live in the same halls as all the other freshers, no you won't stick out at all because you're a couple of years older than most freshers, and unless you go into freshers week thinking that the age difference is a problem then you'll enjoy it just as much as anybody else.

I started Uni the first time at 20 and loved it (everything except my course at least!), nobody cares less whether you're their age or not, so unless you decide to make it an issue it's just not.

Second time at Uni was a bit different, I was 22, and I hated freshers week, not because of the age difference though, just because I'd already done it before, I'd spent 2 years doing the whole stereotypical uni student thing of getting pissed all the time, and going completely over the top because it was my first time living away from home with nobody telling me what to do, and being surrounded by 18 year olds who were doing all of that for the first time was bloody annoying!
Original post by Smoosh
You won't notice any difference between yourself and people a couple of years younger than you, but you will probably find most people you meet will be 18 or 19. I started uni when I was 21 (I'm now in 2nd year & 22), I only know 1 other person who's actually older than me and most of my friends are 19-20, but I really don't notice the age difference at all. There's no reason you can't enjoy freshers/uni life in general just because you'll be a tiny bit older.

I'm in a similar position. I've just turned 23, am only a 2nd year, and I live in a house with 4 mates, 1 of whom is a 3rd year, the rest are all in their 4th year, and I'm the oldest in the house still, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Reply 18
Original post by anil1
In the same position!

Don't think it'll make much of a difference at Uni. people tend to ask me about it a lot at College though!

SAME! So awkward to explain it at college haha!
Reply 19
SAME! So awkward to explain it at college haha!

Extremely awkward. That's why I can't wait to go to University. Mt friend was in the same position as me (started Uni at 20) and no one was trivial about his age. Once your in Uni, it's okay!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending