The Student Room Group

About to start a Paramedic Science Diploma..

Hey all, I start an Access to HE in Paramedic Science next month, which finishes March 2025, to get me into Uni for Sep 2025, I was just wondering if and how anyone managed doing Uni alongside Parental commitments, and how you managed financially? Not bringing any money in for 3 years? I have an 8 and 11 year old and I am later starting this than intended, I turned 30 October 30th just gone so will be a month away from turning 32 when I do start uni in 2025 (if I pass diploma that is🤔😩😬😂) then will be 35 when I finally graduate (if I graduate 😬😂) ahh feels like lightyears away, and am I too old?? my question is how do you juggle being a student paramedic and being a Mum? I worry about start and finish times at uni and the kids school times etc, needing to be there to get them, I don't really have a support network to help, only my amazing Fiancé but he will be working I imagine. We will be moving to the city where I will be studying at Uni so I won't be living on campus I will be staying at home out of study and placement time, can anyone please give me some insight of how they dealt with this in the same position? Im just worrying I'm not going to be able to do this :frown:
Original post by HayleyMarie93
Hey all, I start an Access to HE in Paramedic Science next month, which finishes March 2025, to get me into Uni for Sep 2025, I was just wondering if and how anyone managed doing Uni alongside Parental commitments, and how you managed financially? Not bringing any money in for 3 years? I have an 8 and 11 year old and I am later starting this than intended, I turned 30 October 30th just gone so will be a month away from turning 32 when I do start uni in 2025 (if I pass diploma that is🤔😩😬😂) then will be 35 when I finally graduate (if I graduate 😬😂) ahh feels like lightyears away, and am I too old?? my question is how do you juggle being a student paramedic and being a Mum? I worry about start and finish times at uni and the kids school times etc, needing to be there to get them, I don't really have a support network to help, only my amazing Fiancé but he will be working I imagine. We will be moving to the city where I will be studying at Uni so I won't be living on campus I will be staying at home out of study and placement time, can anyone please give me some insight of how they dealt with this in the same position? Im just worrying I'm not going to be able to do this :frown:

I started university on Monday at the grand old age of 41, I’m not going to lie I have cried this whole week and I’m not a crying person! I’m the oldest in the whole intake easily by 20 years and I e never felt more out of place than I have this week! I’m also doing paramedic science. I have 4 children in total and 2 of them are still at school.
Hi I’m 38, 39 this year when I start my mental health nursing degree. I genuinely don’t feel that old though 😂 I was 28 when I started my access course but life got in the way and I wasn’t able to go to uni straight after. I also have 4 children aged 18, 15, 12 and soon to be 6. I’m also a bit worried about money but plan to work along side uni. I’m just about to change jobs from a dental nurse to a carer in the community and the company Ill be working for are really flexible around changing my hours for when I start uni and when I’ll be on placement. They’ve already had a few nursing students working for them. So maybe that might be an option for you to? Plus you might be able to get help with childcare costs for breakfast and after school clubs. I’m sure there’s a way to make it work. Just focus on one thing at a time x
Reply 3
Hi I’m 36 with 2 children- 17 and 5. I’m currently on a health science Access course and have just been offered a university place to study Paramedic science in September. There are a lot of options available regarding finance check out UCAS page and the GOV website to see what you could be entitled to. I can’t offer advice on support with childcare on placements as I haven’t started the course yet but goodluck I hope you get sorted. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending