The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for the final year (migrant worker)

Hi! I am an EU student, studying business management with HR at NTU. I'm currently going into my fourth year at the university, last year was a placement year for me. I fall under the EU Scheme (I came to the UK in August 2020 and started uni in October 2020) and I wasn't eligible for a maintenance loan during my placement year due to that.
I know that I need to have a migrant worker status and get a part-time job in order to apply for a maintenance loan. My placement got extended until the end of August so I was working full time.l When do I need to start work to be eligible? Please do let me know or please advise what steps I can take now to be eligible. Thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by natpe22
Hi! I am an EU student, studying business management with HR at NTU. I'm currently going into my fourth year at the university, last year was a placement year for me. I fall under the EU Scheme (I came to the UK in August 2020 and started uni in October 2020) and I wasn't eligible for a maintenance loan during my placement year due to that.
I know that I need to have a migrant worker status and get a part-time job in order to apply for a maintenance loan. My placement got extended until the end of August so I was working full time. I've been actively looking for a part-time job since the beginning of August, I found one and I was supposed to start on 1st September, then 5th September (I have an official e-mail with that start date), today I went for an induction and found out that it has been postponed until 12th September. Due to the fact that postponing the date is not my fault, will I still be eligible for a full maintenance loan when I apply? When do I need to start work to be eligible? Please do let me know or please advise what steps I can take now to be eligible. Thank you for your help :smile:

Hi there, You would need to be in employment prior to the start of the academic year, as this is no longer the case we would not be able to award you funding as a Migrant Worker for term 1. However you can be considered for terms 2 and 3 if in employment. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
I was in full-time employment until August 31st. Also, the start of the university academic year at university is 20 September, so I'm not sure if I understand, as the date has not passed yet.
Would I be eligible if my part-time employment contract had the date September 1st?
Original post by natpe22
I was in full-time employment until August 31st. Also, the start of the university academic year at university is 20 September, so I'm not sure if I understand, as the date has not passed yet.
Would I be eligible if my part-time employment contract had the date September 1st?

Hi there, The academic year commences on the 1st of September. Therefore we need evidence of employment to be dated on the 31st of August to be valid as evidence. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Hi,
Do I understand correctly that if my part-time employment contract had the date of 31st August I would still be eligible?
Additionally, would the extension of contract from July count? I was working full-time in the HR department and I do have a contract and payslips backing that as it was a full-time job.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by natpe22
Hi,
Do I understand correctly that if my part-time employment contract had the date of 31st August I would still be eligible?
Additionally, would the extension of contract from July count? I was working full-time in the HR department and I do have a contract and payslips backing that as it was a full-time job.

That's correct. You'd need to be working from the 1st of September 2023. So if the date has 31st of August then you'd be able to submit this along with the PN1 form and all available payslips. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending