Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Which course?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Moved to Open University forum. Check before you start a thread in future please.
Acaila
Moved to Open University forum. Check before you start a thread in future please.

sorry, foreign languages-spanish and german or Theology and spanish
Why Open University and not the more traditional way? j/w
Reply 5
I don't think they do theology- but languages they do: what do you mean by 'is it worth it'? It depends what level you want to study at, what else you're doing at the moment, where you hope the course will lead to etc etc...
the potential problem with studying languages with the OU is that because it is distance learning you won't get the face-to-face interaction that you would in a brick uni. You will have tutorials - approximately once a month - and the OU use Lyceum software for online conferencing, so there are some opportunities for practice, but obviously not as many as you would get at brick uni.

I started a Spanish course with the OU, but it really didn't suit me because - for me at least - I need to have those opportunities to listen and speak the language in order to learn effectively.

Having said all that, many people do study languages with the OU and enjoy that method of learning.
NDGAARONDI
Why Open University and not the more traditional way? j/w

i don't want to go back to england, and spanish universities don't accept a levels!

when i say is it worth it- i mean do employers look down on an OU degree in comparison to a degree from a brick university! Is it therefore worthwhile?
Reply 8
I wouldn't know about Spainish employers; and it differs for everyone- but a lot of the OU advertising (believe of it what you will) says that employers value OU because it shows dedicating and hard work compared to degrees from brick unis...
notebook
I wouldn't know about Spainish employers; and it differs for everyone- but a lot of the OU advertising (believe of it what you will) says that employers value OU because it shows dedicating and hard work compared to degrees from brick unis...

i know- but they would say that wouldn't they :smile: Apparently english qualifications mean a lot more to spanish employers than spanish qualifications, because of the different standards.
unfinished sympathy
when i say is it worth it- i mean do employers look down on an OU degree in comparison to a degree from a brick university! Is it therefore worthwhile?

Often they do over here but I am unsure about Spain. Plus there is this attitutude over whether or not the OU is a 'proper' university, still.
I think it's impossible to generalise about how employers view OU qualifications: in some fields an OU degree isn't going to be considered good enough (but equally a degree from a less prestigious brick uni could be viewed the same way), whereas in other occupational areas employers will value the dedication and self-discipline that is required to achieve a degree by distance learning.

The OU's academic standards are the same as those in brick unis (again, these vary from uni to uni somewhat and from faculty to faculty), but there is no question that OU degrees comply with the same overall standards as brick unis.

The rep problem comes (I think) from the open access policy of the OU: no qualifications are required for entry. This has always been part of the OU's ethos - hence the name "Open". Taking away the competition for admission may have a negative impact on the university's reputation in the eyes of some. Open access does not mean a compromise in standards: level 1 courses (roughly equivalent to first year ug study) will start from a lower baseline than the brick uni equivalent, but the learning curve is steeper. At levels 2 and 3 the level of study is equivalent to 2nd and 3rd year ug study in brick uni, but without the daily face-to-face support of tutors and peers.
Well, the OU fares very well in teaching and research rankings, and was the top performer in the National Student Survey last year -- so I see no obvious reason why degrees from there wouldn't be respected. Plus, I've seen quite a few OU grads in good jobs (like some uni lecturers and politicians), so it can't be that disrespected in my eyes. :biggrin:

Latest