The Student Room Group

Should Marine A be in prison

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by danny111
On video and then later in his diary?

And yea, I and many others regularly talk about killing another human being. While have a gun in our hands.

The actions of marine A were wrong, end of. However, stop applying your armchair logic to a warzone.

You may well talk about killing somebody else if they had just killed your friend. You have no idea the emotional toll of month and months of seeing your best friends get maimed or killed. It is so easy to 'turn the other cheek' sat drinking your frappalappacino and discussing the finer points of philosophy. Come face to face with the guy who gave your best mate a new bellybutton, and its not so easy.Im sure you would make some fairly aggressive threats to somebody who was trying to kill you about 3 minutes earlier.

And if you want to find an unarmed british soldier in Afghanistan, you'll be looking for a while. The gun has no bearing on anything.

Lastly, just because he wrote in his diary, doesnt mean a thing. He is probably a young marine, who has never knowingly taken a life, and is as concerned about convincing himself that should the need arrise, he will be able to, as he is about barbarism.
Reply 81
Original post by the bear
there are plenty of videos calling for retribution against the alleged killers of Gunner Rigby... but they have not been granted anonymity... funny that.

But that's a different argument. The Marine's name has been kept secret to protect not him but his family who I'm sure we can all be agreed have done precisely nothing wrong. Threats made against the guys who allegedly attacked Rigby were made against the guys themselves, not their families.

Different situation.
Reply 82
Original post by the bear
there are plenty of videos calling for retribution against the alleged killers of Gunner Rigby... but they have not been granted anonymity... funny that.

So because of that you think it would be ok to put this marine's family - who are totally innocent - in danger?

That's just dumb.
Reply 83
Temporary Insanity is what Marin A suffered from when the incident took place. People accusing him of murder should be made to walk a path bestrewn with 'bloodied body parts'.. anyone willing to create such a path way in every town and city with Window Dummies and spaghetty and ketchup etc....Like hell, Marine A need all the help he can get to prevent a major disaster for us to regret for the rest of our Brittish existance. I don't want to hang my head in shame and let the 'enemy' walk all over us laugh at 'us softies'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BowzerEdwards
I speak as someone who is currently undergoing the Royal Marines Young Officer application process and I do believe he should be in prison.

To an extent, there are mitigating circumstances and until we have been in a situation such as that, it is hard to comment. I certainly hope that whilst a prison term is totally necessary, the Marine receives a degree of leniency.

However, Marine A's comments about the Geneva Convention, not administering first aid and the shuffling off of mortal coils makes the issue pretty black and white for me.

The Taliban fighter wasn't dead. They weren't under fire. They made pointed remarks about knowing how wrong it was.

It was murder. They've been caught and a Marine has been found guilty.

I see there are comments about the 'arbitrary lines' we draw as a society, and yes, it's certainly interesting point..

It's okay to target people who are not actually fighting us, with drone strikes. It's fine to kill civilians if they constitute collateral damage - 'these things happen in war'. It's acceptable to incarcerate and torture suspect people, if they can be suitably categorised. Extra-judicial executions are ok. But it's not ok for a soldier to decide, 'he's a known enemy, I'll kill him'.

Whilst the above is certainly an interesting debate - it is irrelevant. We are all (including our Forces) governed by rules. When rules are broken, there are consequences. The rights and wrongs of these rules are a completely different argument.

Best of luck with your application. It's a long road but if you make it you'll be a better man that I gungadin.
Reply 85
Original post by c471
The actions of marine A were wrong, end of. However, stop applying your armchair logic to a warzone.

You may well talk about killing somebody else if they had just killed your friend. You have no idea the emotional toll of month and months of seeing your best friends get maimed or killed. It is so easy to 'turn the other cheek' sat drinking your frappalappacino and discussing the finer points of philosophy. Come face to face with the guy who gave your best mate a new bellybutton, and its not so easy.Im sure you would make some fairly aggressive threats to somebody who was trying to kill you about 3 minutes earlier.

And if you want to find an unarmed british soldier in Afghanistan, you'll be looking for a while. The gun has no bearing on anything.

Lastly, just because he wrote in his diary, doesnt mean a thing. He is probably a young marine, who has never knowingly taken a life, and is as concerned about convincing himself that should the need arrise, he will be able to, as he is about barbarism.

So I'm not allowed armchair logic and then you proceed to write an essay employing it yourself?

Yea, get lost.
Reply 86
Should be handed over to the same insurgents he killed a member off, so he can get a taste of his own medicine.
We fight to uphold the rules and regulations not only set forth by the Geneva Convention but to ensure that we act as a enforcer to show countries how they should live. We should be role models to the world and this case was a clear breakage of the rules, he has been rightly punished. We would be no better than the Taliban if we executed prisoners at our whim.
Punished? yes, excessively? no. It's all too easy to judge this situation from our comfy homes with a clear head.

He should be punished for breakign the rules but the rules are also stupid.
Original post by blue n white army
He should be punished for breakign the rules but the rules are also stupid.

What, you mean the rules which say: 'don't brutalise and execute an unarmed man incapable of fighting.'?
Original post by InnerTemple
What, you mean the rules which say: 'don't brutalise and execute an unarmed man incapable of fighting.'?

I just find it a bit odd that killing a known enemy who has been shooting at you in battle can be considered murder when we also dismiss civilians as collateral.

I dont think there should be any obligation to treat enemy soldiers. 1 less enemy to fight against.
I just find it a bit odd that killing a known enemy who has been shooting at you in battle can be considered murder when we also dismiss civilians as collateral.

I dont think there should be any obligation to treat enemy soldiers. 1 less enemy to fight against.

He's considered hors de combat, out of the fight, he's no threat. No different recognising a guy in the market, and shooting him. It's not a combat death it's an execution. Don't understand the comparison to civilians as collateral. Civilian casualties are only collateral when they are unintentional, if there is intent to kill civilians it's the same, it's murder.

It's all well to say there should be no requirement to treat the enemy, but remember we cant not play by the rule book then expect others too. It's all well saying the Taliban wouldn't but it applies to Iraq, Argentina wherever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by r_mjm
Temporary Insanity is what Marin A suffered from when the incident took place.

Nonsense.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Yes he should. The Geneva convention and all exists for a reason.

Insurgencies weren't a major factor in the Geneva convention. They're a bit if a grey area. However all UK military are still bound by UK law.

However his actions were wrong, and justice has now been done.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by danny111
So I'm not allowed armchair logic and then you proceed to write an essay employing it yourself?

Yea, get lost.

It is by no means armchair logic - that is personal experience from serving in Afghanistan.
He got a life sentence but still no minimum serve time
Reply 96

Whilst I agree with all the points made about morals and ethics regarding this, shove them.

Even if we do not treat them out of genuine human decency or the geneva convention (which we absolutely should), the intellegence we can gather from wounded combatants is very hard to beat.

Even if you feel they deserve to be strung up, it is remarkably short sighted, when the intellegence we can gather from them could save the lives of guys on the ground. Not to mention the whole pashtun code and hearts and minds angle which killing them does not help.
Original post by c471
Whilst I agree with all the points made about morals and ethics regarding this, shove them.

Even if we do not treat them out of genuine human decency or the geneva convention (which we absolutely should), the intellegence we can gather from wounded combatants is very hard to beat.

Even if you feel they deserve to be strung up, it is remarkably short sighted, when the intellegence we can gather from them could save the lives of guys on the ground. Not to mention the whole pashtun code and hearts and minds angle which killing them does not help.

I agree with every single one of those points but something inside me says that a strong punishment for marine A is wrong.

Although punishment is needed I'm just not buying into this whole lynch mob attitude that some people have.
Reply 98
Original post by techno-thriller
He got a life sentence but still no minimum serve time

He's not being sentenced till December 6th, so don't know how you figured that one out.

(It's likely that he will, ofc, but to say he has is wrong.)
Original post by Drewski
He's not being sentenced till December 6th, so don't know how you figured that one out.

(It's likely that he will, ofc, but to say he has is wrong.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/10436149/Royal-Marine-faces-life-in-jail-for-captive-execution.html :dontknow:

My bad. May is the key word.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending