The Student Room Group

When should I start looking at Uni open days?

I'm going to be applying for University late next year. I am currently in Yr 12... should i start looking at Uni Open days now??
Original post by RagaZ
I'm going to be applying for University late next year. I am currently in Yr 12... should i start looking at Uni Open days now??

It depends whether you feel ready. If I were you, I'd be looking more at the courses you're interested in, and the grades you're likely to get overall rather than the universities themselves yet. However, if you already know where you want to visit, it might be an idea to look at their open day calendars for next year to see whether there is an open day later on in the year but also at least a month before your school wants your UCAS form in. If your school hasn't spoken to you yet about University at all, then perhaps it's too early, but there's no harm in looking and getting a feel for the process!
Reply 2
Later this year when you will have a much clearer idea on what you want to study.

A good time would probably be after the exams, where the school generally lowers teaching standards (:angelblush:) and so won't miss too much.

Alternatively some people go on open days after receiving offers. Bit risky in some sense, but saves a lot more time and money.
Reply 3
I am doing open days after I have submitted my application, I know the unis I want to go to, I just need to get my application into my college by the 19th of november
Going to one now is good - you get to see what Uni is like and that encourages you for your AS grades.
Reply 5
I agree with Jkizer. Going in the summer after exams is a good time to go, that's when most people at my college went. Plus this will be closer to when you actually apply next year so you'd be able to remember all the open days.
You'll find that most of them are in June-ish and September / October.

I think the best time to go is in June of Y12, when you have an idea what grades you're heading for, and will still have the summer to mull things over. Of course, going in September / October is absolutely fine too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RagaZ

can't hurt to go and look I did in year 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending